The Student Room Group

Circle Theorems and advice to work out this question-

So I know that the answer is 65 degrees however how would i write in the answer.
Well how did you get to that answer?
What was your first step?
Original post by GabiAbi84
Well how did you get to that answer?
What was your first step?

well ODB equals 25 degrees and so if you construct the other line aswell, it would also be 25 degrees because it is an isosceles triangle
therefore the DOB = 130 degrees. Then i would use the circle theorem : angle at arc = 2x angle at circumference
so 130/2=65 degrees
Original post by Randompoggers
well ODB equals 25 degrees and so if you construct the other line aswell, it would also be 25 degrees because it is an isosceles triangle
therefore the DOB = 130 degrees. Then i would use the circle theorem : angle at arc = 2x angle at circumference
so 130/2=65 degrees

So have you tried writing that?
Original post by Muttley79
So have you tried writing that?

yeah doesnt work
yeah doesnt work

You need to write it very formally as Mathswatch is a pain

e.g. angle OBD = 25 [isosceles triangle]
You need to write it very formally as Mathswatch is a pain

e.g. angle OBD = 25 [isosceles triangle]

i have done my best but im still stuck on 1/4 marks

Copy exactly what you have written :smile:
Reply 8

These kind of questions on mathswatch made me waste so many evenings...
My advice is simple, put in your working and answer as you did it and comment on the question your working (if it's one of those where you can comment), explaining to the teacher that MW sucks the major sector. J'ai fini.
danke schon

Cut and paste to this thread what you have written - we can get full marks
Cut and paste to this thread what you have written - we can get full marks

so 130/2=65 degrees

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is what ive written like before]

also the red lines are added on they are not part of the question.
(edited 3 years ago)
so 130/2=65 degrees

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is what ive written like before

As I said that is not formal enough - I started you off

OBD = 25 [opposite angles of an isosceles triangle]

angle DOB = 130 [give a reason]

Now carry on like that - you need to do this in the exam :smile:
As I said that is not formal enough - I started you off

OBD = 25 [opposite angles of an isosceles triangle]

angle DOB = 130 [give a reason]

Now carry on like that - you need to do this in the exam :smile:

EDO=90 degrees because tangent meets the radius at 90 degrees
OBD is an isosceles triangle so OBD = 25 because base angles on a triangle are equa DOB = 130˚ 180-(25*2)=130
DAB=65˚ because angles subtended at the arc is twice the angle subtended at the circumference so 130÷2=65˚

this is what i have done and it has only given me 2 marks out of 4 , i think i have explained as full as possible now. thank you for the help
EDO=90 degrees because tangent meets the radius at 90 degrees
OBD is an isosceles triangle so OBD = 25 because base angles on a triangle are equa DOB = 130˚ 180-(25*2)=130
DAB=65˚ because angles subtended at the arc is twice the angle subtended at the circumference so 130÷2=65˚

this is what i have done and it has only given me 2 marks out of 4 , i think i have explained as full as possible now. thank you for the help

First line is irrelevant - delete it
It's all too wordy

OBD = 25 [reason I gave]

DOB = 130 [angles in a triangle add to 180 - not just a sum you have to give a reason]

DAB = 130/2 = 65 [angle subtended at the centre is twice that subtended by the same arc at the circumference] you missed key words out
First line is irrelevant - delete it
It's all too wordy

OBD = 25 [reasoni I gave]

DOB = 130 [angles in a triangle add to 180 - not just a sum you have to give a reason]

DAB = 130/2 = 65 [angle subtended at the centre is twice that subtended by the same arc at the circumference] you missed key words out

its okay i got it now 4/4 marks because the mathswatch algorithm is so terrible you have to get a word for word answer.
its okay i got it now 4/4 marks because the mathswatch algorithm is so terrible you have to get a word for word answer.

Reasons are expected in GCSE answers - you did not give reasons for the 130 you just did the calculation without any justification - you must state which theorem you are using.

What did you put eventually?
Reply 17
What did u write???
Bro why didnt u say what u got ,could have saved me
Original post by randompoggers

bro why didnt u say what u got ,could have saved me

Quick Reply

Latest