The Student Room Group

Lancaster University A104 2021 Entry

Welcome to the Lancaster University A104 (Medicine with a Gateway Year) 2021 Entry Discussion.

Lancaster A900 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6022544

For general information click: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...ar-mbchb-a104/

For entry requirements click: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un.../#course-entry

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lol. Is anyone trying to go here for 2021?
which other unis did you apply to?
Original post by qqewrty1
Lol. Is anyone trying to go here for 2021?
which other unis did you apply to?

This is one of my choices others are UCL Leeds and Bradford
Hey everyone,

Sorry I'm picking up this thread pretty late!

I'm Sukhy, a final year medical student at Lancaster - I am more than happy to help with anybody's questions.

You can post on this thread and I'll try and get back to you ASAP or you can also message me anytime on Unibuddy (you can chat to other students on the Unibuddy platform too: click here for my link
is the entry point year 0 or year 1 and what is the average BMAT score for this course ?
Original post by laylapone
is the entry point year 0 or year 1 and what is the average BMAT score for this course ?

Hey @laylapone

A104 course entry year
The A104 course I guess is 'Year 0' (which is the 'Gateway year), and if you have performed academically well, then you progress to Year 1 of the A100 course.

BMAT statistics
You can see the average BMAT score on the link I posted to you earlier on the A100 course thread, hopefully it worked but here is the link again just in case: click here for BMAT statistics

A good BMAT score for Lancaster A104
So you'll see from the BMAT statistics table on the link above that for 2019 entry on the A104 course, the average score for an A104 applicant invited to interview was 10.3, and the range was 12.1 (highest) - 8.1 (lowest). The BMAT has three sections and Lancaster uses your total BMAT score.
So I'd say a good score would be anything above 10.5 / 11 to be comfortable.

Lancaster has 4 stages to the application process:

Academic entry requirements - only those who meet the minimum requirements at this stage move onto stage 2, so make sure you do :smile:

BMAT score - applicants who passed stage 1 are ranked by their total BMAT score, so the higher your score, the more likely you'll be to be selected for interview

Interview

Fitness to Practice

Have a read of the A104 'How to Apply' section which goes through the above stages: click here

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Sukhy
Final Year Lancaster Medical Student
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @laylapone

A900 course entry year
The A900 course I guess is 'Year 0' (which is the 'Gateway year), and if you have performed academically well, then you progress to Year 1 of the A100 course.

BMAT statistics
You can see the average BMAT score on the link I posted to you earlier on the A100 course thread, hopefully it worked but here is the link again just in case: click here for BMAT statistics

A good BMAT score for Lancaster A900
So you'll see from the BMAT statistics table on the link above that for 2019 entry on the A900 course, the average score for an A900 applicant invited to interview was 10.3, and the range was 12.1 (highest) - 8.1 (lowest). The BMAT has three sections and Lancaster uses your total BMAT score.
So I'd say a good score would be anything above 10.5 / 11 to be comfortable.

Lancaster has 4 stages to the application process:

Academic entry requirements - only those who meet the minimum requirements at this stage move onto stage 2, so make sure you do :smile:

BMAT score - applicants who passed stage 1 are ranked by their total BMAT score, so the higher your score, the more likely you'll be to be selected for interview

Interview

Fitness to Practice

Have a read of the A900 'How to Apply' section which goes through the above stages: click here

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Sukhy

thank you!
Hey everyone,

I wanted to post my BMAT tips here - hopefully somebody finds them helpful in the run up to the exam.

Registration and Fees bursary
Registration is still open until 15 October to sit in November 2020 (late fees now apply). Scroll down and see if you meet any of the criteria to be reimbursed for your fees, so you may save money! £££
Click here for dates and costs

Go through the BMAT specification (like you would do for GCSE/ALevels)
Highlight what you do and don't know, then revise the content for your weak areas - perhaps do this before you do past papers or maybe as you go along.
https://www.admissionstesting.org/Images/535824-bmat-test-specification.pdf

Do BMAT past papers
On their website, you have access to 2019 past papers all the way down to 2013 - that is PLENTY of revision/practice! 2014 past paper also has 'explained answers'. If you're new to revision, then start off open book/ not timed, then start being stricter and time yourself.
https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/preparing-for-bmat/practice-papers/

At the end of each mark scheme, you'll see a table to convert your raw marks into your 'BMAT score'
Section 1: 35 questions/marks, converted to a score out of 9
Section 2: 27 questions/marks, converted to a score out of 9
Section 3: Essay section, scored out of 5, and an A-E grade
Lancaster considers your 'total BMAT score'
https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/bmat-november/scoring-and-results/

Lancaster Medical School's website shows the statistics for BMAT scores in previous years, a good score would be above 10.5
So if you can get at least 4 or 5 in Sections 1 and 2, then around 3 in the essay of section 3 - you'll be in a comfortable position (4 + 4 + 3 = 11)https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medicine/mbchb-medicine-and-surgery/how-to-apply/#admissions-statistics

For example, open the 2019 mark scheme for Section one: click here
And let's convert some imaginary scores for 2019 section 1:
- 16/35 (46%) questions right to get a BMAT score of 4.1
- 20/35 (57%) questions right to get a BMAT score of 5.1

This doesn't mean it's easy, BMAT is meant to be a hard test to differentiate between candidates, but my point is: you don't need 100% to get a good score. So focus on reading the questions, understanding the logic behind them, follow the tips above.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Sukhy
Hey everyone,

I wanted to post my BMAT tips here - hopefully somebody finds them helpful in the run up to the exam.

Registration and Fees bursary
Registration is still open until 15 October to sit in November 2020 (late fees now apply). Scroll down and see if you meet any of the criteria to be reimbursed for your fees, so you may save money! £££
Click here for dates and costs

Go through the BMAT specification (like you would do for GCSE/ALevels)
Highlight what you do and don't know, then revise the content for your weak areas - perhaps do this before you do past papers or maybe as you go along.
https://www.admissionstesting.org/Images/535824-bmat-test-specification.pdf

Do BMAT past papers
On their website, you have access to 2019 past papers all the way down to 2013 - that is PLENTY of revision/practice! 2014 past paper also has 'explained answers'. If you're new to revision, then start off open book/ not timed, then start being stricter and time yourself.
https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/preparing-for-bmat/practice-papers/

At the end of each mark scheme, you'll see a table to convert your raw marks into your 'BMAT score'
Section 1: 35 questions/marks, converted to a score out of 9
Section 2: 27 questions/marks, converted to a score out of 9
Section 3: Essay section, scored out of 5, and an A-E grade
Lancaster considers your 'total BMAT score'
https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/bmat-november/scoring-and-results/

Lancaster Medical School's website shows the statistics for BMAT scores in previous years, a good score would be above 10.5
So if you can get at least 4 or 5 in Sections 1 and 2, then around 3 in the essay of section 3 - you'll be in a comfortable position (4 + 4 + 3 = 11)https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medicine/mbchb-medicine-and-surgery/how-to-apply/#admissions-statistics

For example, open the 2019 mark scheme for Section one: click here
And let's convert some imaginary scores for 2019 section 1:
- 16/35 (46%) questions right to get a BMAT score of 4.1
- 20/35 (57%) questions right to get a BMAT score of 5.1

This doesn't mean it's easy, BMAT is meant to be a hard test to differentiate between candidates, but my point is: you don't need 100% to get a good score. So focus on reading the questions, understanding the logic behind them, follow the tips above.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Sukhy

Does Lancaster look at the personal statement?
Also, does the BMAT score for Lancaster account four scores (one for section 1, for 2 , for 3 essay and one for the english mark of section 3)?
Original post by aspireddentist
Does Lancaster look at the personal statement?
Also, does the BMAT score for Lancaster account four scores (one for section 1, for 2 , for 3 essay and one for the english mark of section 3)?

hey @aspireddentist

Personal statement
Yeah Lancaster does look at the personal statement! I know some medical schools score their applicants based on their personal statement, but Lancaster reads it - but doesn't score it. They read it to make sure the applicants they invite to interview do demonstrate the non-academic criteria that they're looking for, and then in the MMI interview they explore the non-academic criteria in more depth.
More info: click here

Four stages of application
1) Academic requirements -

"Entry requirements for our medical degree include both academic and non-academic criteria."
They'll read your personal statement here to see if you demonstrate what they're looking for and to just generally make sure you don't have any red flags or things they need to be concerned about.

GCSEs: For the A104 course, you "must have achieved grade B (or grade 6) in Core & Additional Science (or Biology, Chemistry and Physics), Maths and English."

A Levels (or the equivalent): at least BBB predicted for the A104 course

If you're applying for the gateway course, you must meet the eligibility criteria outlined here: click here

Only if you meet these minimum requirements, then you can move to stage 2

2) BMAT

" Lancaster Medical School calculates the total BMAT score by combining the individual scores for Sections 1, 2 and 3.

Section 1 is scored out of 9; Section 2 is scored out of 9; and Section 3 is scored out of 5 (for quality of content). "

" We do not use the quality of English score (A-E). "

More info and statistics here: click here

3) MMI Interview

Tests the non-academic criteria in more depth

"The MMI is an opportunity for us to get to know you and for you to demonstrate that you have what it takes to succeed in our medical degree programme and as a doctor."

Heads up: "After the MMI, we may seek to verify the claims made in your personal statement by contacting those named on your work & voluntary experience form."
So they do read and check your personal statement claims, so no lying!

4) Fitness to practice

Hope that helps :smile:
Sukhy
Final Year Medical Student
(edited 3 years ago)
hey everyone,

just wanted to say that the "Medicine and Surgery with a Gateway Year" course has the UCAS code A104, not A900 (I think the foundation programme is often A900 at other universities, but at Lancaster it's A104 as per the website):
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-with-a-gateway-year-mbchb-a104/

best wishes,
Sukhy
hey everyone,

just wanted to say that the "Medicine and Surgery with a Gateway Year" course has the UCAS code A104, not A900 (I think the foundation programme is often A900 at other universities, but at Lancaster it's A104 as per the website):
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-with-a-gateway-year-mbchb-a104/

best wishes,
Sukhy

Title changed. :ta: for the heads up.

but ive applied for the medicine and surgery A900
Original post by noory27

Ooops sorry, I'll make another thread for the A104 then.

Also do we get asked about what we write in the BMAT and the personal statement in the interview??
hey @aspireddentist

Personal statement
Yeah Lancaster does look at the personal statement! I know some medical schools score their applicants based on their personal statement, but Lancaster reads it - but doesn't score it. They read it to make sure the applicants they invite to interview do demonstrate the non-academic criteria that they're looking for, and then in the MMI interview they explore the non-academic criteria in more depth.

Four stages of application
1) Academic requirements -

"Entry requirements for our medical degree include both academic and non-academic criteria."
They'll read your personal statement here to see if you demonstrate what they're looking for and to just generally make sure you don't have any red flags or things they need to be concerned about.

GCSEs: For the A104 course, you "must have achieved grade B (or grade 6) in Core & Additional Science (or Biology, Chemistry and Physics), Maths and English."

A Levels (or the equivalent): at least BBB predicted for the A104 course

If you're applying for the gateway course, you must meet the eligibility criteria outlined here: click here

Only if you meet these minimum requirements, then you can move to stage 2

2) BMAT

" Lancaster Medical School calculates the total BMAT score by combining the individual scores for Sections 1, 2 and 3.

Section 1 is scored out of 9; Section 2 is scored out of 9; and Section 3 is scored out of 5 (for quality of content). "

" We do not use the quality of English score (A-E). "

More info and statistics here: click here

3) MMI Interview

Tests the non-academic criteria in more depth

"The MMI is an opportunity for us to get to know you and for you to demonstrate that you have what it takes to succeed in our medical degree programme and as a doctor."

Heads up: "After the MMI, we may seek to verify the claims made in your personal statement by contacting those named on your work & voluntary experience form."
So they do read and check your personal statement claims, so no lying!

4) Fitness to practice

Hope that helps :smile:
Sukhy

Thanks for your reply!:smile:
I wanted to ask you how much emphasis do they usually put on the personal statement to reach interview stage and whether a high bmat score is needed.
Also, in terms of the clinical placements are they allocated randomly or we get to choose the location?
Thanks!
Original post by noory27

oh sorry maybe I've got the wrong thing, I'll double check with the department tomorrow

Sukhy
Original post by noory27
Also do we get asked about what we write in the BMAT and the personal statement in the interview??

Hey @noory27

on the Lancaster Medical School 'Medical School Interviews' page (click here) they have given a few examples of stations that could appear in an MMI.

One of the examples of a station that they have written on that website is:
"Example 2: Explore your understanding of your chosen career, through discussion of your personal statement, and work and voluntary experience, including what you learned about your own suitability to be a doctor from these experiences."

So it's best to be prepared for the station that they have provided as an example just in case :smile:

And to the best of my knowledge, BMAT essay is not used in the Lancaster MMI interview.

Hope that helps
Sukhy
Original post by aspireddentist
Thanks for your reply!:smile:
I wanted to ask you how much emphasis do they usually put on the personal statement to reach interview stage and whether a high bmat score is needed.
Also, in terms of the clinical placements are they allocated randomly or we get to choose the location?
Thanks!

Hey,

To reach the interview stage, I'd say most of the emphasis is put on stage 1) and stage 2) as written in the post above. You must meet the minimum GCSE and A Level requirements in order to reach stage 2) which is when you are ranked by your total BMAT score. Please have a look at the BMAT statistics website which I also posted, or click here and as mentioned before and as stated on the website:

"For 2019 entry, we invited to interview applicants with a broader range of BMAT scores than is typical, including some applicants with total BMAT scores less than 10.5 who would not normally be called for interview."

So anything above 10.5 as a total BMAT score would be a good score, the higher the score the more likely you'll be in the top scoring candidates range thus invited for interview. (But in 2019 some people who scored less than 10.5 did get invited to interview, so don't lose too much hope, it depends on how the entire cohort has done :smile:)

Personal statement is read, not scored, so I'd say more emphasis is put on you meeting the minimum academic requirements and scoring a BMAT score above 10.5. Your personal statement needs to demonstrate that you have work experience/volunteering exp/insight into this profession - if you've got that then good, but the point of the personal statement is to demonstrate the non-academic criteria, which is explored in more depth in the interview.

E.g. if you don't meet the minimum GCSE requirements, don't meet the minimum A Level predictions then you won't move to stage 2 when you are ranked according to BMAT score - no matter how good your personal statement is, you must meet the minimum academic requirements.

Hope that makes sense?

Best wishes,
Sukhy
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey,

To reach the interview stage, I'd say most of the emphasis is put on stage 1) and stage 2) as written in the post above. You must meet the minimum GCSE and A Level requirements in order to reach stage 2) which is when you are ranked by your total BMAT score. Please have a look at the BMAT statistics website which I also posted, or click here and as mentioned before and as stated on the website:

"For 2019 entry, we invited to interview applicants with a broader range of BMAT scores than is typical, including some applicants with total BMAT scores less than 10.5 who would not normally be called for interview."

So anything above 10.5 as a total BMAT score would be a good score, the higher the score the more likely you'll be in the top scoring candidates range thus invited for interview. (But in 2019 some people who scored less than 10.5 did get invited to interview, so don't lose too much hope, it depends on how the entire cohort has done :smile:)

Personal statement is read, not scored, so I'd say more emphasis is put on you meeting the minimum academic requirements and scoring a BMAT score above 10.5. Your personal statement needs to demonstrate that you have work experience/volunteering exp/insight into this profession - if you've got that then good, but the point of the personal statement is to demonstrate the non-academic criteria, which is explored in more depth in the interview.

E.g. if you don't meet the minimum GCSE requirements, don't meet the minimum A Level predictions then you won't move to stage 2 when you are ranked according to BMAT score - no matter how good your personal statement is, you must meet the minimum academic requirements.

Hope that makes sense?

Best wishes,
Sukhy

Thank you so much!:smile:
Yes this is much cleared now. I am applying as a graduate with a 40/45 in IB, 1st in Biomed.
How is allocation to clinical placements being done?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending