The Student Room Group

Passing GCSE English language

Can someone give me tips on how to at least get a 4 in GCSE English language. I’m resitting
Reply 1
Original post by Jsam791
Can someone give me tips on how to at least get a 4 in GCSE English language. I’m resitting

My advice would be learn all language techniques, and be able to identify them in extracts

Get past papers and use your list of language techniques to spot out language techniques and develop on your points using PEEL or what every structure you use to answer questions. Do as many past papers you can get your hands onto, aim to do one a week
I would also try to improve your vocabulary through signing up to word a day or using
Synonyms to find better word choice.
Original post by Jsam791

Mr Bruff you tube videos are good
Original post by Jsam791

I did my English GCSE in 2019. I got a 3 for my mocks but ended up getting a 8 for my actual exams with close to no revision. I did make sure that I know how to answer Section B properly, if I remember correctly. I think it was 40 marks for section A and 40 for section B. Make sure you get most of the marks in section B and you should be fine. Read books, so that you can write more easily and have a larger range of words sophisticated words. Know your language techniques, list them at the start of the exam and check off each one you've used.
Get good
Reply 5
Original post by Tello
My advice would be learn all language techniques, and be able to identify them in extracts

Get past papers and use your list of language techniques to spot out language techniques and develop on your points using PEEL or what every structure you use to answer questions. Do as many past papers you can get your hands onto, aim to do one a week
I would also try to improve your vocabulary through signing up to word a day or using
Synonyms to find better word choice.

what about paper 2 especially question 4 and 5 and paper 1 creative writing
Reply 6
what books do you suggest
Original post by Banechann
I did my English GCSE in 2019. I got a 3 for my mocks but ended up getting a 8 for my actual exams with close to no revision. I did make sure that I know how to answer Section B properly, if I remember correctly. I think it was 40 marks for section A and 40 for section B. Make sure you get most of the marks in section B and you should be fine. Read books, so that you can write more easily and have a larger range of words sophisticated words. Know your language techniques, list them at the start of the exam and check off each one you've used.
Original post by Jsam791
what books do you suggest

I read fiction books as they are in general more creative, you can get a lot of ideas from them. I'm trying to remember any good books i've read but any fiction book with a good plot should be a good read for English language.
Reply 8
What did you do to improve on your section b
For your creative writing use DROP ZOOM FLASH END.

DROP - drop into a situation, for example it could be a funfair.

ZOOM - zoom into a specific thing or person, this could be the ride at the funfair.

FLASH - flash to a different area or do a flashback, this could be a flashback to an accident that happened last year on the ride at the funfair or a flash to a different person at the funfair

END - end your story in a circular context so for example if you start at a funfair, your last line could mention the person who went to the fair or the fair itself

Hope this helped! Google the technique more in depth :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
For your creative writing use DROP ZOOM FLASH END.

DROP - drop into a situation, for example it could be a funfair.

ZOOM - zoom into a specific thing or person, this could be the ride at the funfair.

FLASH - flash to a different area or do a flashback, this could be a flashback to an accident that happened last year on the ride at the funfair or a flash to a different person at the funfair

END - end your story in a circular context so for example if you start at a funfair, your last line could mention the person who went to the fair or the fair itself

Hope this helped! Google the technique more in depth :smile:

ok i will try it
Reply 11
nice mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending