The Student Room Group

GCSE help

Hey guys. So I have a bit of a issue. When I was in Year 9 i wanted to be a Lawyer so I chose, Religion Studies,Psychology,History,Music,and Spanish. But now I'm in Year 11 and I'm more interested in the field of Computing [ like programming ,coding etc, ]. I want to be a programmer now but I think i chose the wrong options. What do i do now? Can i teach myself to code and study a coding course in uni without a ict or comupter science gcse?
Original post by M69___
Hey guys. So I have a bit of a issue. When I was in Year 9 i wanted to be a Lawyer so I chose, Religion Studies,Psychology,History,Music,and Spanish. But now I'm in Year 11 and I'm more interested in the field of Computing [ like programming ,coding etc, ]. I want to be a programmer now but I think i chose the wrong options. What do i do now? Can i teach myself to code and study a coding course in uni without a ict or comupter science gcse?

Hello,
If you are planning on doing a degree such as computer science or whatnot, it is preferred for students to study computer science and/or maths for Alevels. You will have to check with universities and see what they require for your desired degree, however, they mainly require specific a level subjects, not GCSEs. After checking the required subjects, you should check with the college/sixth form you’re planning on going to and see if you are able to study computer science without computing gcse. (I believe that if you achieve a good maths grade, they’ll allow you to study computer science (that is, if computer science is needed for the uni you want to attend and you want to study it for a levels))

I apologise if this sounds confusing. Do let me know if you want me to clarify anything again. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anon12345678987
Hello,
If you are planning on doing a degree such as computer science or whatnot, it is preferred for students to study computer science and/or maths for Alevels. You will have to check with universities and see what they require for your desired degree, however, they mainly require specific a level subjects, not GCSEs. After checking the required subjects, you should check with the college/sixth form you’re planning on going to and see if you are able to study computer science without computing gcse. (I believe that if you achieve a good maths grade, they’ll allow you to study computer science (that is, if computer science is needed for the uni you want to attend and you want to study it for a levels))

I apologise if this sounds confusing. Do let me know if you want me to clarify anything again. :smile:

Ok, Thank you for the help

Quick Reply

Latest