The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Amazing how people are ready to apply, I'm doing this for the second time and still don't think I'll be ready before November
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 41
For people who've applied before, how long/ when do you normally get any update on the application? And do they conduct interviews for all programmes? I'm thinking of applying for another programme at a different uni as a backup/ alternative but would prefer holding on for a bit if I am able to
Original post by wesgwl
For people who've applied before, how long/ when do you normally get any update on the application? And do they conduct interviews for all programmes? I'm thinking of applying for another programme at a different uni as a backup/ alternative but would prefer holding on for a bit if I am able to

Usually they get back to you within six weeks but response time really differs across departments. I applied to the department of sociology, sent in my application in December, was informed in February that my application has been put on hold and that I'll be given a final decision in May. Then I got my offer in May, after 24 weeks. That was the longest I'd heard ever though, so unless you get the waitlist email like I did, six to eight weeks would be the norm. However, they might get to applications after the December deadline so an expectation by February week 1 sounds more than fair.
Reply 43
Hi! I am an international student starting my third year, I sent out my app today
- Current University: KCL
- Current Course: BSc Politics
- Achieved (or Expected) Grade: Expected First (72% first year, 70% second year)
- Prospective Course: MPhil Development Studies
- Other universities you’re applying to: Might apply to LSE and UCL
- Hobbies/Extra-curriculars (adding this one): I volunteer and work with different NGOs since I am 15, working in the community of which I'm native to, I also love reading/writing about Latin America (born and raised), and I train dogs!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by goldhazel
Usually they get back to you within six weeks but response time really differs across departments. I applied to the department of sociology, sent in my application in December, was informed in February that my application has been put on hold and that I'll be given a final decision in May. Then I got my offer in May, after 24 weeks. That was the longest I'd heard ever though, so unless you get the waitlist email like I did, six to eight weeks would be the norm. However, they might get to applications after the December deadline so an expectation by February week 1 sounds more than fair.

Thanks! Did you have to undergo an interview?
Reply 45
Original post by wesgwl

I did not apply before. But as far as I concern, interview is not always needed. It depends on your program.
Original post by wesgwl

Nope!
Is anyone's application (specifically English Literature related) under review by department yet?
Original post by bookworm0604
Is anyone's application (specifically English Literature related) under review by department yet?

Faculty isn't even really working right now; I wouldn't expect much if any progression until term starts up in October
Original post by SaraBer
That's good to know, thank you!

I think since my last course was in 2014, I am able to provide only professional references. This is what they say in the program requirements:

We understand that many applicants have been out of the formal education space for a considerable amount of time. If this is the case, we will accept two professional references. As a guideline we would expect at least one academic reference if five years or less has passed since graduating from your last academic course.

Oh Sara, that is a great piece of information that I've missed! I've got my MA in 2014 as well... So was extremely worried about the Academic references!
I am so glad I read this here. Makes me feel way better! .. Have you double checked though with anyone from admissions?
Seems that I got too excited and replied to Sara before introducing myself.

Here is a bit about me:

I am actually an Architect, and got my MA degree in 2014 from Oxford Brookes University in International Architectural Regeneration and Development.

- Achieved : Excellent in Bachelors and Merit in the Masters
- Prospective Course: PhD in Architecture
- Other universities you’re applying to: Focusing all my efforts on Cambridge - but planning to apply to Bath as well.

I am currently at the stage of contacting a supervisor.. ! ... So excited to start this journey!...
(edited 3 years ago)
Wondering when to apply considered late, especially for Econ and Finance? Would Dec/Jan be too late?
Original post by Majorette2018
Wondering when to apply considered late, especially for Econ and Finance? Would Dec/Jan be too late?

If you want funding, any time before the deadline is fine. It won't matter.
Original post by SaxaDeans
I don't really know, but how it's written on the website (for both of our courses) is that it is done in batches. Therefore, there doesn't seem much of a disadvantage not applying September/October. I really won't be able to apply until November.

What the website says:
"Applications are considered in two batches; firstly after the 3rd December and then after the application deadline of 28th February. It is possible that some applications from the first batch are held for consideration in the second batch. This route may fill up well ahead of the advertised closing date. You are advised to apply by the December deadline if possible. Interviews are conducted in person or via Skype."

Perhaps someone familiar with the Faculty of Education admissions will see this and enlighten us?

Hi both, I am about to start the education and psychology Mphil at Cambridge and am happy to answer any questions relating to the application process. I applied before the December deadline as wanted to have the option for my application to be open for funding. I submitted my application in November of last year and heard back in mid feb, most people on my course heard back around that time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Now a grizzled veteran, I've managed to compose an application in record time.

Current University: University of London (One of the leading London Unis)
Course: International Development
Achieved Grade: First Class Honours
Prospective Colleges: King's & Christ's
Prospective Course: MPhil in Technology Policy
Other universities: Oxford, maybe LSE & UCL (I'm sick of living in London)

I've added prospective colleges. I think it's fun to get to know people from your college online before you meet.
Hi all! Lovely to see this thread going again this year. I'm trying again for an MPhil in Criticism and Culture this year. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone :-)
Original post by wilhelminapang
Hi all! Lovely to see this thread going again this year. I'm trying again for an MPhil in Criticism and Culture this year. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone :-)

Hi! Good luck to you too. Did you apply for the same course last year? If so, what were the timescales for you hearing back? I’ve sent off my application for one of the English MPhils so any insight would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi everyone~

- Current University: One of German university (ranked around 25 in Germany)
- Current Course: International Business Administration
- Achieved (or Expected) Grade: around 1.2 (first class)
- Prospective Course: Cambridge MPhil in Finance
- Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford MFE, LSE Msc Finance, Imperial MSc Finance

- Gre scores: 333; V: 164, Q:169, AW: 4
- IELTS: Overall 8.0

I submitted my application to MPhil in Finance at the end of September. Anyone applying for this course too?
Current University: Graduated in 2019 from SOAS with a MSc in International Politics
- Current Course:
- Achieved (or Expected) Grade: High Merit (67.5)
- Prospective Course: MPhil in Development Studies
- Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford, LSE

Hi everyone, I have a major burning question. So back in undergrad (2013-2017) I had a major extenuating circumstance and finished with a really low GPA (in the US). I was lucky enough to get into a MSc in SOAS and I ended up doing well and meeting the minimum requirement for the Cambridge MPhil degree I am applying to. However I was wondering if any of you could honestly tell me if my postgraduate grade will help or will they still put a lot of weight on my undergraduate scores? I have two years working experience in the UN in different countries: Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar and I am published at a young age. However I understand that Oxbridge really put an emphasis on grades as opposed to working experience. I feel like I have a low chance but I am just going to go for it. I would just be really grateful if anyone whose had experience in applying could give me an honest answer to if my MSc grade will be able to carry me into even having a chance of standing out.

Note: I also noticed Oxford has a comprehensive mechanism for extenuating circumstances so I feel better about it there, but unsure about it with Cambridge. I am however getting in touch with Cambridge regarding my situation.
(edited 3 years ago)
any one from uk please.???

Latest

Trending

Trending