The Student Room Group

difference btwn macromolecular and giant covalent

whats the difference?

also am i correct to say that a giant covalent structure cant be a molecule as a molecule is a group of atoms bonded together, representing the smallest fundamental unit of a chemical compound that can take part in a chemical reaction.

also am i correct to say that both macromolecular and giant covalent both have to be covalently bonded, and each atom has multiple covalent bonds?

im just getting really confused btwn the two
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
They are the same thing, but neither is a molecule as you can't know the molecular formula of a giant...
Original post by Pigster
They are the same thing, but neither is a molecule as you can't know the molecular formula of a giant...

ahh ok thanks
so do they both HAVE to have covalent boning to be a macrocellular/giant covalent structure? like is that the definition of it?
cuz google just says that its a very large molecule
Original post by vix.xvi
ahh ok thanks
so do they both HAVE to have covalent boning to be a macrocellular/giant covalent structure? like is that the definition of it?
cuz google just says that its a very large molecule

I'm not sure about covalent boning (sounds slightly dodgy), but it all depends on your definition of "very large".

Macromolecular structures are just that: "macro" = very large, molecular = err, molecule.

But of course "very large" in chemical particle numbers is somewhat bigger than "very large" in terms of everyday objects.

Remember that 12.01g of diamond contains 6.02 x 1023 carbon atoms all bonded together covalently into a giant lattice, with each carbon atom held in place by bonds to four others.
Original post by charco
I'm not sure about covalent boning (sounds slightly dodgy), but it all depends on your definition of "very large".

Macromolecular structures are just that: "macro" = very large, molecular = err, molecule.

But of course "very large" in chemical particle numbers is somewhat bigger than "very large" in terms of everyday objects.

Remember that 12.01g of diamond contains 6.02 x 1023 carbon atoms all bonded together covalently into a giant lattice, with each carbon atom held in place by bonds to four others.

ahh ok tyyy
so is a giant covalent structure just an example of a macromolecular structure?
Original post by vix.xvi
ahh ok tyyy
so is a giant covalent structure just an example of a macromolecular structure?

They are one and the same
Reply 6
Original post by charco

S/he obviously didn't believe me :frown:
Original post by Pigster
S/he obviously didn't believe me :frown:

Nooo I did!! I just got confused again aha Thanks for u help 😊😊
Original post by charco

Thanks!!😊

Quick Reply