The Student Room Group

Crow's Comeback

For those that are new to my GYGs, feel free to know a bit more about myself in "Crow's A Level Journey" thread.

Hey what's up folks! It has been a long time since I updated this. It will probably be one of my last updates here. I have been extremely busy irl and I also found other interests so my time for tsr has been next to 0. I own study discord servers so I get more involved with those. Anyways...

So, results day treated me well but I was expecting higher grades. I won't bother resitting though. A*A*A*ABB. Not bad, could've been better but who cares, I never took them anyways...

On the side note, I am reapplying for Oxford. Things didn't go well last year however I decided to give it a shot again due to this whole corona thing and online uni. If it goes west I'll just go to Cardiff uni.

Uni choices: Same as last year, Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Cardiff Medicine.
UCAT: Good enough for Cardiff
BMAT: I have it next month and I'm quite nervous, it will determine my faith in a way 😅

That's pretty much all, really. I actually missed posting here, how have you guys been? How's life?

The amazing #TeamCrow

Spoiler

I actually have no idea who you are buut hiiii :biggrin: How are you? What are you doing at the moment? Why are you still up?

Spoiler

Original post by jellybellyb
I actually have no idea who you are buut hiiii :biggrin: How are you? What are you doing at the moment? Why are you still up?

Spoiler

Hello Crow,
I'm sorry about @jellybellyb she has gone rogue and decided to tag me everywhere.
Sorry,
Rufus.
Original post by Rufus the red
Hello Crow,
I'm sorry about @jellybellyb she has gone rogue and decided to tag me everywhere.
Sorry,
Rufus.

You're making me sound bad :frown:
well done on your grades! hope everything goes well for you when reapplying to oxford, would love a little update to see how you get on even if you're not on tsr very much :smile:
doing well thank you, moved into halls over a week ago so life's been busy and have my first proper lecture today.
see you around :hugs:
(edited 3 years ago)
I was wondering where you had disappeared off to. Best of luck with your application this year! With those solid set of grades you can get into anywhere so I hope Oxford works out for you.
Original post by Crow_M
For those that are new to my GYGs, feel free to know a bit more about myself in "Crow's A Level Journey" thread.

Hey what's up folks! It has been a long time since I updated this. It will probably be one of my last updates here. I have been extremely busy irl and I also found other interests so my time for tsr has been next to 0. I own study discord servers so I get more involved with those. Anyways...

So, results day treated me well but I was expecting higher grades. I won't bother resitting though. A*A*A*ABB. Not bad, could've been better but who cares, I never took them anyways...

On the side note, I am reapplying for Oxford. Things didn't go well last year however I decided to give it a shot again due to this whole corona thing and online uni. If it goes west I'll just go to Cardiff uni.

BMAT: I have it next month and I'm quite nervous, it will determine my faith in a way 😅

That's pretty much all, really. I actually missed posting here, how have you guys been? How's life?

The amazing #TeamCrow

Spoiler

I mean, you took 6 A-levels. I'm pretty certain you'd have achieved the results you were hoping for if you'd 'only' taken 5 :tongue: Great achievement.

So.. plenty of people reapply to medicine. They normally change unis - mainly because they analysed what went wrong last time and based on their new strategy they apply to different unis. You're sticking with the extremely bold 3 BMAT uni pick - I take it you got a great BMAT last time to justify such a strategy? And therefore it was interviews that were the problem?

Good luck, you've certainly worked hard enough!
Reply 7
Original post by nexttime
I mean, you took 6 A-levels. I'm pretty certain you'd have achieved the results you were hoping for if you'd 'only' taken 5 :tongue: Great achievement.

So.. plenty of people reapply to medicine. They normally change unis - mainly because they analysed what went wrong last time and based on their new strategy they apply to different unis. You're sticking with the extremely bold 3 BMAT uni pick - I take it you got a great BMAT last time to justify such a strategy? And therefore it was interviews that were the problem?

Good luck, you've certainly worked hard enough!

I won't even lie, I wish I sat them. I would've done much better. I won't resit unless my firm has for it.

I thought really hard about whether I'd pick the same unis and even asked them if they'd be ok with that. My biggest weakness (and what did me dirty in the shortlisting stage) was data analysis. Cambridge Assessment decided to remove it (thank God). As my strong areas are there now I decided to resit the BMAT. I am quite confident on S1 Critical Thinking and Problem Solving. My practice has also shown great results too (6+).
BMAT S2 and 3 were great but S1 was shambolic (data analysis got me so bad...). It was always my weak area (reading a whole page of data and knowing what info to use). As it has been removed I decided to apply to the same unis as my weak area is now gone so I should get make the cut for the Ox and Imperial cut-off now.

Interviews were a slight issue at the other unis however I'm working on that as well. My interview skills are improving so it's reassuring (I also got a mentor so that should help).

Thanks! I've been doing practice every day for a while now, I'll tag you and the others when I get some news on the BMAT.
Reply 8
Original post by 3pointonefour
I was wondering where you had disappeared off to. Best of luck with your application this year! With those solid set of grades you can get into anywhere so I hope Oxford works out for you.

I've been quite busy and updating TSR was just effort. I decided to send small updates now and then as I'm not as busy (only have BMAT and Interviews really).
Thanks! I have been doing a generous amount of prep (without burning out, of course). Hopefully things work out this time. Here are pictures of my preparation for this year.
IMG_20200906_003512_410-compressed.jpg.jpeg
IMG_20200906_003510_547-compressed.jpg.jpeg
IMG_20200906_003513_942-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Reply 9
Will do! Which unis are you applying for?
Good luck to you too! If you're sitting the BMAT you might want to check out r/BMATExam as they have a study server.

Oh my titles are pretentious sometimes :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by absolutelysprout
well done on your grades! hope everything goes well for you when reapplying to oxford, would love a little update to see how you get on even if you're not on tsr very much :smile:
doing well thank you, moved into halls over a week ago so life's been busy and have my first proper lecture today.
see you around :hugs:

Hey! Thank you!

I'll definitely send an update now and then. Which course are you doing by the way? As I live in Cardiff I know many people in Cardiff Uni, we might have a common friend :lol:

Anyways, enjoy your first lecture! Cardiff is a great uni!
Original post by Crow_M
Hey! Thank you!

I'll definitely send an update now and then. Which course are you doing by the way? As I live in Cardiff I know many people in Cardiff Uni, we might have a common friend :lol:

Anyways, enjoy your first lecture! Cardiff is a great uni!

psychology! it is :yep: first lecture was .... okay :tongue:
Reply 12
I love the title :tongue: Good luck! :hugs:
A very well done on those result :woo:

Best of luck with BMAT prep and with Oxford!

#TeamCrowLetsGo :rave:
Crow_M! :jumphug:
All the best for UCAS and the BMAT :biggrin:

H

Original post by Crow_M

The amazing #TeamCrow

Spoiler

Hey I'm a bit new to TSR and the whole GYG thing but I'm trying to find some inspiration for A levels during the pandemic by trawling through a bunch of these. Though that may be procrastination :s-smilie:. I applied Chem this year but realised that I didn't want to do it so am applying in a gap year for medicine next year. Can you offer some advice since you've been through it all twice and is it really as much hard work as people say it is since the thought of doing exams for it terrifies me? Also did you make your top choice Oxford this time round since I'd assume you'd get offers around about now like other subjects? I hope you did and congrats on your amazing A levels like 3 is such a slog and you did 6!!!

Also is the personal statement really important by the way since my grammar can be lacking sometimes? Sorry for the spam but I have a lot of Qs and really need the advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest