The Student Room Group

Standalone F2 - and specialty training

if i previously resigned from F2 and did a stand alone f2 post does this mean I cannot apply for ST1/CT1 training?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pl34567
if i previously resigned from F2 and did a stand alone f2 post does this mean I cannot apply for ST1/CT1 training?

If it was a standalone F2 through UKFPO, then yes, you can apply for speciality training As you will have a FPCC. If you resigned after f1 and then did a non foundation post, you will need to apply for F2 standalone as the CREST form is not available to you.
Reply 2
Thank you!
although on the person specifications for CT1/ST1 training it quotes: An applicant who has previously resigned, been removed from, or relinquished a post on the foundation training programme will not usually be eligible to apply for an ST1/CT1 post except under extraordinary circumstances. Extraordinary circumstances may be defined as a demonstrated change in circumstances which can be shown to impact on the ability to train at that time and may include severe personal illness or family caring responsibility incompatible with continuing to train as a foundation doctor, either through sickness absence, as a LTFT trainee or in a period out of programme.
Where an applicant wishes to apply for an ST1/CT1 post in the above circumstances they must provide evidence to support this application in the form of a letter written and signed by the Director of the Foundation School where previous training took place

So does this mean that I still don't need to worry or declare my prior resignation and go through core training applications like everyone else who would be completing the foundation year on the first go?
Thanks again!
Original post by pl34567
Thank you!
although on the person specifications for CT1/ST1 training it quotes: An applicant who has previously resigned, been removed from, or relinquished a post on the foundation training programme will not usually be eligible to apply for an ST1/CT1 post except under extraordinary circumstances. Extraordinary circumstances may be defined as a demonstrated change in circumstances which can be shown to impact on the ability to train at that time and may include severe personal illness or family caring responsibility incompatible with continuing to train as a foundation doctor, either through sickness absence, as a LTFT trainee or in a period out of programme.
Where an applicant wishes to apply for an ST1/CT1 post in the above circumstances they must provide evidence to support this application in the form of a letter written and signed by the Director of the Foundation School where previous training took place

So does this mean that I still don't need to worry or declare my prior resignation and go through core training applications like everyone else who would be completing the foundation year on the first go?
Thanks again!

I’m fairly certain you are fine if you have done standalone LAT, as that is they way back in. You will come to the end with your FPCC. This is to stop people who leave at F1 nd then apply I think
In this situation too - I spoke with my previous foundation dean who was very reassuring, and advised that this is poorly worded and is referring to people who basically try to resign from foundation and do CREST then apply to ST1. If you do standalone FY2, should be okay, but they advised they would be happy to support with a letter too if needed, but maybe check with your previous foundation school for peace of mind?
Reply 5
Original post by chloemo14
In this situation too - I spoke with my previous foundation dean who was very reassuring, and advised that this is poorly worded and is referring to people who basically try to resign from foundation and do CREST then apply to ST1. If you do standalone FY2, should be okay, but they advised they would be happy to support with a letter too if needed, but maybe check with your previous foundation school for peace of mind?

Thank you to both of you for all your help! also just wondering if its hard to get your deanery to support your reapplication for training if you resigned? (unfortunately i resigned twice but each at a different deanery due to personal circumstances)
Original post by pl34567
Thank you to both of you for all your help! also just wondering if its hard to get your deanery to support your reapplication for training if you resigned? (unfortunately i resigned twice but each at a different deanery due to personal circumstances)

I think if you email and say you have restarted and done an f2 standalone, and if you need to, a little update on why resigned, and what done since and how now in a great place to go forwards, i dont think it will be a big issue.
Original post by pl34567

It wasn't for me, but I had a good relationship with my ES/FPTD prior to leaving, and emailed them before reapplying to Standalone FY2. I think you have to have support from both deaneries per the form (believe it asks for details of ALL foundation training previously) so maybe best to get in contact with both of them? If they were aware of the personal circumstances, and they were legitimate, I think they will support you, but you may need to put some things in place to show why this time will be different perhaps?
Reply 8
It wasn't for me, but I had a good relationship with my ES/FPTD prior to leaving, and emailed them before reapplying to Standalone FY2. I think you have to have support from both deaneries per the form (believe it asks for details of ALL foundation training previously) so maybe best to get in contact with both of them? If they were aware of the personal circumstances, and they were legitimate, I think they will support you, but you may need to put some things in place to show why this time will be different perhaps?

thank you again for all your help!
Reply 9
Just another q
was applying for f2 stand-alone difficult? I note that over 900 applicants in 2019 - and only half were listed for an interview...with a further only approximately 1/2 getting allocated to a training post... as a UK medical graduate just having finished F1 would this be an advantage?
Original post by pl34567
Just another q
was applying for f2 stand-alone difficult? I note that over 900 applicants in 2019 - and only half were listed for an interview...with a further only approximately 1/2 getting allocated to a training post... as a UK medical graduate just having finished F1 would this be an advantage?

Really hard to say - there's no RMLT so you're applying on an level playing field with non-UK/EU nationals/grads. I haven't applied yet, will be doing so this year. I think it's interesting that quite a few spots remain unfilled at the end of the process, and that so many don't make it through the long-listing stage - that would suggest to me that although the competition ratio is high, a lot of people are applying without meeting the eligibility criteria potentially. I think the interview is reasonably rigorous though, and definitely worth doing some decent prep for.
Original post by pl34567
Just another q

Just a reminder for current f1: standalone f2 is not an option for those in an f1 post currently. It is an opportunity to re-enter training for those that left after f1 since you cant apply for core/specialty training without completing foundation [ineligible for CREST] and an opportunity to enter training for IMG.
I think the long listing does remove a lot of people that arent meeting the minimum criteria, so if you meet the criteria, dont be worried!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12

how long did it take for your ES and your FPTD to support for your F2 stand alone application? I've submitted something to my ES who has forwarded it to my FPTD a week ago and they have yet to reply. Should i chase them this week for an update? thanks again! (sorry for all these questions since it is such a huge period of uncertainty for me atm)
Original post by pl34567
how long did it take for your ES and your FPTD to support for your F2 stand alone application? I've submitted something to my ES who has forwarded it to my FPTD a week ago and they have yet to reply. Should i chase them this week for an update? thanks again! (sorry for all these questions since it is such a huge period of uncertainty for me atm)

I think you need one of your ES/FTPD, and then your foundation dean? I think the whole process took a couple of weeks for me - I'm sure that as long as you're polite, and acknowledge how busy they must be at the moment with COVID etc., it's fine to send a quick follow up asking if there's anything further they need from you as a reminder!
Do you have to do the sjt again if you're applying for standalone F2 even if you've done it before doing F1?
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
Do you have to do the sjt again if you're applying for standalone F2 even if you've done it before doing F1?

I think the new UKFPO guidelines for 2021-2022 intake have introduced this for this year's applicant cohort
in the past you didn't have to.
I think you need one of your ES/FTPD, and then your foundation dean? I think the whole process took a couple of weeks for me - I'm sure that as long as you're polite, and acknowledge how busy they must be at the moment with COVID etc., it's fine to send a quick follow up asking if there's anything further they need from you as a reminder!

Hi! Did you end up applying as well? How are you planning on preparing for the interview + SJT?
Reply 17
Hi! I didn't in the end this year but
I think there are FB groups to help guide on interviews and sjt prep that I was initially using
I have previously resigned in fy2 and I was not supported by my postgraduate deanery when I decided to return back as they claim I have been long out of training. What are my options? Considering travelling abroad (Australia or New Zealand) since my options are limited
(edited 1 year ago)
Seems unusual. How long have you been out? We’re there any issues in training?
Obviously you can apply for locally employed doctor / clinical fellow posts - presuming you completed f1 and have full licence.

Quick Reply

Latest