The Student Room Group

Is epq really worth it

Hi, is epq really worth it. Does is help with uni, is it just going to add stress. is it pointless?

Will it really affect my further studies?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
In terms of is it worth it, it largely depends on what Uni you want to go to. I think 1/3 of Unis make offers based off of UCAS Points. (With the other 2/3 making offers based off Grades; BCC for example).
If your Uni makes UCAS point offers, EPQ directly contributes to that. (Look up "UCAS Tariff EPQ" and look on images, you'll find a table).
Regardless of how Unis make offers, almost all will appreciate proof of EPQ on a Personal Statement.

I don't know what subjects you are taking, or how well you are doing in them, but EPQ is definitely another challenge on top of your A-Level courses.
Most 6th forms should let you drop EPQ at any point, so if you are being overwhelmed by your courses, you can drop EPQ when you need to.

Conclusion: EPQs are valuable, but not as much as your A Levels.
Original post by Umayrc63
Hi, is epq really worth it. Does is help with uni, is it just going to add stress. is it pointless?

Thanks in advance

Chose to do EPQ in Y13. Predicted A*. Applied for Law at Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol. Received offer from all them. Then, dropped EPQ.

It depends if you can use it strategically .
Reply 3
t

Original post by BenM8
In terms of is it worth it, it largely depends on what Uni you want to go to. I think 1/3 of Unis make offers based off of UCAS Points. (With the other 2/3 making offers based off Grades; BCC for example).
If your Uni makes UCAS point offers, EPQ directly contributes to that. (Look up "UCAS Tariff EPQ" and look on images, you'll find a table).
Regardless of how Unis make offers, almost all will appreciate proof of EPQ on a Personal Statement.

I don't know what subjects you are taking, or how well you are doing in them, but EPQ is definitely another challenge on top of your A-Level courses.
Most 6th forms should let you drop EPQ at any point, so if you are being overwhelmed by your courses, you can drop EPQ when you need to.

Conclusion: EPQs are valuable, but not as much as your A Levels.

Original post by lancpe2002
Chose to do EPQ in Y13. Predicted A*. Applied for Law at Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol. Received offer from all them. Then, dropped EPQ.

It depends if you can use it strategically .

will all unis offer reduction of requirements. Plus will reductions be on all subjects offered in uni, or specific?
t

will all unis offer reduction of requirements. Plus will reductions be on all subjects offered in uni, or specific?

Not all unis do that, mine did not. Reductions are generally specific.
Reply 5
Original post by lancpe2002
Not all unis do that, mine did not. Reductions are generally specific.

do you know which subjects, would it be subjects related to english maybe?
Reply 6
do you know which subjects, would it be subjects related to english maybe?

Reductions are by Uni, not by Course.
Look at the Unis' websites that you are interested in, and look at their courses you like, and it should say the requirements.
If not, try searching the Uni and Course on UCAS.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by BenM8
Reductions are by Uni, not by Course.
Look at the Unis' websites that you are interested in, and look at their courses you like, and it should say the requirements.
If not, try searching the Uni and Course on UCAS.

yes, im aware reductions are by uni. But im saying can they reduce any subject you choose. Or specific ones.

Plus, is it only top unis that offer reductions?
Reply 8
yes, im aware reductions are by uni. But im saying can they reduce any subject you choose. Or specific ones.

Plus, is it only top unis that offer reductions?

It should be for all courses from specific unis (unis either do reduce entry if you have EPQ or don't, across all subjects).
And it's usually the top unis that don't, and the mid to low unis that offer the reductions.
Reply 9

If you know exactly what your course is and what unis you want and you know for a fact it will help lower your offer or get your application looked at then it can't hurt. Be mindful however that doing it in Y13 is a death sentence because you really need to be focusing on your a levels.

Thanks in advance

I've not finished my EPQ yet, but it's been hella stressful for me. I haven't taken any essay subjects since GCSE but loved writing when I was younger, and since I am a creative person, I opted to create an Artefact. My teacher pressured me into doing a Report though, which involves 5000 words plus about another 5000 words total of writing ABOUT the report, compiling a bibliography and hours of reading through sources and analysing them, and then a presentation at the end.

The advice I'd give you as someone going through it is:
If you're going to do it, take an essay subject with it, so you have the regular practice of writing and won't find it such a bother. Don't let your teachers and supervisors pressure you into going one way or the other, do what you think is best for you. Pick a FUN topic, for the love of god, me and my friends have been writing about the most boring subjects for 7 months now, it's depressing.
You need to get into a habit of writing about your sources as you're reading them: any notes, the general gist of it, good quotes from it and where they are in the source, and also write down the date you found it as well as the author's details etc. This was my downfall, I didn't have enough notes on my sources to read from so now I basically have to read through them all again.

As for whether it's useful . . . I'll let you know.

Quick Reply

Latest