The Student Room Group

Central Saint Martins Foundation

I’m thinking of applying to csm foundation down the textiles and fashion route starting 2021 I’m currently doing alevel art textiles and music technology (also looking at leeds, Northumbria, Salford, goldsmiths, Kingston) and I’m not sure whether to apply I’ve heard people can be very cold and it is difficult to make friends and the tutors aren’t helpful and wanted to see others opinions on the course? Also wanted to know if anyone had any advice on what to include in the portfolio whether including my art pieces is a good idea etc or sticking to textiles, also wanted to know because it’s obviously very competitive to get in, also I wanted to take the course to develop my skills etc but apparently a lot of people take it who have not done an arts subject already but I’m not sure I don’t think I’m ready to apply straight to undergrad and don’t want to commit to a 3 year degree in london obviously with expenses too

Also if anyone who has done the foundation or on a fashion design related course at ual and would be able to take the time to have a quick peak at some of my work and personal statement that would be a dream come true !!

Sorry this was so long xx
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by niamhadyson
I’m thinking of applying to csm foundation down the textiles and fashion route starting 2021 I’m currently doing alevel art textiles and music technology (also looking at leeds, Northumbria, Salford, goldsmiths, Kingston) and I’m not sure whether to apply I’ve heard people can be very cold and it is difficult to make friends and the tutors aren’t helpful and wanted to see others opinions on the course? Also wanted to know if anyone had any advice on what to include in the portfolio whether including my art pieces is a good idea etc or sticking to textiles, also wanted to know because it’s obviously very competitive to get in, also I wanted to take the course to develop my skills etc but apparently a lot of people take it who have not done an arts subject already but I’m not sure I don’t think I’m ready to apply straight to undergrad and don’t want to commit to a 3 year degree in london obviously with expenses too

Also if anyone who has done the foundation or on a fashion design related course at ual and would be able to take the time to have a quick peak at some of my work and personal statement that would be a dream come true !!

Sorry this was so long xx

Hey @niamhadyson,

Great to hear you're thinking about your future and looking at studying an art foundation.

The CSM art foundation is great if you wish to pursue an education and career in fashion or textile design. As a UAL student you're given access to many resources across all 6 colleges and a guaranteed place on a BA course at UAL (please note due to the competitive nature of many of the courses this will not necessarily be your first choice course). It's also great to be studying in London due to all the external opportunities such as exhibitions and work experience.

I did my foundation at CSM a few years ago and made many friendships during that year. I was living in UAL halls and felt this was also a great way to meet people either on my foundation or already studying their BA elsewhere at UAL. I can only speak of my own and my friends experiences but found the tutors nice and very helpful. The foundation is very independent compared to sixth form/college and this feels like a bit of a challenge at first but it was a great insight into what studying at BA level is like.

It is important your portfolio is a reflection of you and your work. My top tip would be to only include pieces of work you feel you could confidently talk about. It is also important to put in work you have competed outside of school/college. This shows your commitment to the arts. There is a good video on portfolio prep here.

I hope this is of help and please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you have anymore questions.

All the best,

Tegan :smile:
UAL Student Rep
Reply 2
Because I take art aswel should I include things like painting and charcoal studies etc?? , on top of my textiles samples, developments, designs and final pieces?
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hey @niamhadyson,

Great to hear you're thinking about your future and looking at studying an art foundation.

The CSM art foundation is great if you wish to pursue an education and career in fashion or textile design. As a UAL student you're given access to many resources across all 6 colleges and a guaranteed place on a BA course at UAL (please note due to the competitive nature of many of the courses this will not necessarily be your first choice course). It's also great to be studying in London due to all the external opportunities such as exhibitions and work experience.

I did my foundation at CSM a few years ago and made many friendships during that year. I was living in UAL halls and felt this was also a great way to meet people either on my foundation or already studying their BA elsewhere at UAL. I can only speak of my own and my friends experiences but found the tutors nice and very helpful. The foundation is very independent compared to sixth form/college and this feels like a bit of a challenge at first but it was a great insight into what studying at BA level is like.

It is important your portfolio is a reflection of you and your work. My top tip would be to only include pieces of work you feel you could confidently talk about. It is also important to put in work you have competed outside of school/college. This shows your commitment to the arts. There is a good video on portfolio prep here.

I hope this is of help and please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you have anymore questions.

All the best,

UAL Student Rep
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hey @niamhadyson,

All the best,

UAL Student Rep

hi tegan,
i read on the ual website that if you're applying to just the foundation course (alone) you have to apply directly and not through UCAS. However on the website it also says that to be guaranteed a place at the university for an undergraduate course after the foundation you need to apply through UCAS. Does that mean if you were to pass the diploma (that you applied for directly) you wont be guaranteed a place on one of the undergrad courses unless you applied for a fine art degree with a foundation diploma (through UCAS) at then changed it?
Original post by ceecee679
hi tegan,
i read on the ual website that if you're applying to just the foundation course (alone) you have to apply directly and not through UCAS. However on the website it also says that to be guaranteed a place at the university for an undergraduate course after the foundation you need to apply through UCAS. Does that mean if you were to pass the diploma (that you applied for directly) you wont be guaranteed a place on one of the undergrad courses unless you applied for a fine art degree with a foundation diploma (through UCAS) at then changed it?

Hi @ceecee679

When you apply to Foundation at UAL, you make the application direct to us (via our website) - this is a stand alone course (not 'a fine art degree with a foundation diploma'). If you successfully pass the foundation course, you will be guaranteed an offer of a place on an undergraduate course (although not necessarily your top choice). This only applies to students taking Foundation at UAL (not a UAL accredited course outside of UAL). You do still need to make your application via UCAS, however the foundation team support students in this process. The foundation team will also be able to talk to you more about the degree course options and give you advice about which course might be best for you.

I hope that helps to answer your question, but I'd also recommend you join one of our webinars or open days if you want to find out more.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team
Reply 5
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hi @ceecee679

When you apply to Foundation at UAL, you make the application direct to us (via our website) - this is a stand alone course (not 'a fine art degree with a foundation diploma'). If you successfully pass the foundation course, you will be guaranteed an offer of a place on an undergraduate course (although not necessarily your top choice). This only applies to students taking Foundation at UAL (not a UAL accredited course outside of UAL). You do still need to make your application via UCAS, however the foundation team support students in this process. The foundation team will also be able to talk to you more about the degree course options and give you advice about which course might be best for you.

I hope that helps to answer your question, but I'd also recommend you join one of our webinars or open days if you want to find out more.

Best wishes,

Sian

Hiya Asian do you have any idea when the csm foundation applications open and if they are open how I can get a hold of the form thanks
Original post by niamhadyson
Hiya Asian do you have any idea when the csm foundation applications open and if they are open how I can get a hold of the form thanks

Hi @niamhadyson,

CSM is due to open up for foundation applications shortly, although I don't know the specific date. Please check back on our webpage which will be updated very soon. Once applications are open, you can scroll down (past entry requirements) and find the 'making an application' section - you will find a link there with the application form.

Best wishes,
Sian
UK Student Recruitment
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hi @niamhadyson,

CSM is due to open up for foundation applications shortly, although I don't know the specific date. Please check back on our webpage which will be updated very soon. Once applications are open, you can scroll down (past entry requirements) and find the 'making an application' section - you will find a link there with the application form.

Best wishes,
Sian
UK Student Recruitment

Thanks, I also had another question about the online portfolio and pebblepad. Is pebblepad the site we use to strictly create and submit our digital portfolio? Or can we make it on a PowerPoint doc for example and then upload that onto pebblepad?
Must the portfolio be created in the pebblepad app or is the app not even meant for anything other than just a submission of a complete portfolio

Thanks.
Original post by ceecee679
Thanks, I also had another question about the online portfolio and pebblepad. Is pebblepad the site we use to strictly create and submit our digital portfolio? Or can we make it on a PowerPoint doc for example and then upload that onto pebblepad?
Must the portfolio be created in the pebblepad app or is the app not even meant for anything other than just a submission of a complete portfolio

Thanks.

Hello @ceecee679,

You would normally edit your 'pages' in another system - PowerPoint or InDesign... something that allows you to create a layout. You can then save the pages as files (jpg, pdf, etc), then upload these to PebblePad. Within PebblePad you can add supplementary text to the uploaded images.

Have a look at this page which explains it very clearly:
https://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/apply/online-document-submission-tool

Best wishes,

Sian

Quick Reply

Latest