The Student Room Group

Further Maths A level and Natural Sciences?

Do you need Further maths when applying to uni's like Cambridge for Natural Science?
Or would biology, chemistry, economics and maths be fine?

Basically, are applicants with further maths at a significant advantage than those without it?
Thanks!!
Well, for what course? Most courses don't care what subjects you do, some have specific requirements.
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Well, for what course? Most courses don't care what subjects you do, some have specific requirements.

The poster has mentioned the course - Natural Sciences.
Original post by 5hyl33n
The poster has mentioned the course - Natural Sciences.

In which case why does OP not just look at the entry requirements page? As long as OP does 2-3 out of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics* and Further Mathematics they're fine.

Typical offers require
A Level: A*A*A
IB: 40-42 points, with 776 at Higher Level

For other qualifications, see our main Entrance requirements pages.

Course requirements
Please note that in the following 'science/mathematics subjects' refers to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics* and Further Mathematics. It does not include Psychology.

Required by all Colleges: A Levels/IB Higher Levels in at least two science/mathematics, see also subject requirements for Year 1 options
Required by some Colleges: AS or A Level/IB Standard or Higher Level in a third science/mathematics subject and/or particular subjects
In which case why does OP not just look at the entry requirements page? As long as OP does 2-3 out of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics* and Further Mathematics they're fine.

Typical offers require
A Level: A*A*A
IB: 40-42 points, with 776 at Higher Level

For other qualifications, see our main Entrance requirements pages.

Course requirements
Please note that in the following 'science/mathematics subjects' refers to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics* and Further Mathematics. It does not include Psychology.

Required by all Colleges: A Levels/IB Higher Levels in at least two science/mathematics, see also subject requirements for Year 1 options
Required by some Colleges: AS or A Level/IB Standard or Higher Level in a third science/mathematics subject and/or particular subjects

Hi!

Thanks, I've looked at the entry requirements and I saw that; however, sometimes unis prefer/ most applicants have further maths. Like in Economics. I was wondering if it was the same for Natural Sciences.
You don’t need it, but not having further maths could potentially impact your module choices. I’m not sure if it limits your physics and maths options.
According to what uni, 62% of natural sciences students took further maths A level.
Edit: that wasn’t specific to just natural sciences, and further maths is apparently the most common third A level. The Cambridge website implies they will consider applicants that don’t have maths though, so I’m sure you will be fine.
Edit #2: you’ll be fine for the biological route, but these are the entry requirements for the physical route https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/natsci_physical_subject_requirements_0.pdf
(edited 3 years ago)
If it's physical Natural Sciences, it'd help. If it's biological, you'd be fine without it.
Original post by Dancer2001
You don’t need it, but not having further maths could potentially impact your module choices. I’m not sure if it limits your physics and maths options.
According to what uni, 62% of natural sciences students took further maths A level.
Edit: that wasn’t specific to just natural sciences, and further maths is apparently the most common third A level. The Cambridge website implies they will consider applicants that don’t have maths though, so I’m sure you will be fine.
Edit #2: you’ll be fine for the biological route, but these are the entry requirements for the physical route https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/natsci_physical_subject_requirements_0.pdf

Thank you!

yeah if I did apply for natsci it'd be biological.... I don't even do physics a level so...

Also, do you know by any chance if it's the same for economics or you'd probably be definitely disadvantaged without FM for economics?

Thanks!!

They probably did look at the entry requirement page but still wanted clarification.

Quick Reply

Latest