The Student Room Group

What does A-Level Sociology involve?

Also, what's the workload like?
Original post by dropdehbombman
Also, what's the workload like?

Depends on your exam board - When I did A Level sociology I did a huge range - family and households, crime and deviance and the media, religion, cults/sects etc, prison and criminal justice system, schools and governments. I found the workload okay - it was constant revision as the topics were changing so had to consolidate it properly, but I found the revision fine and I did well as I was really interested in it all which made it easier to revise! I now do sociology at uni if you had any other questions about it :smile:

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Depends on your exam board - When I did A Level sociology I did a huge range - family and households, crime and deviance and the media, religion, cults/sects etc, prison and criminal justice system, schools and governments. I found the workload okay - it was constant revision as the topics were changing so had to consolidate it properly, but I found the revision fine and I did well as I was really interested in it all which made it easier to revise! I now do sociology at uni if you had any other questions about it :smile:

Thanks for the info. Also want to know how much and how often work needs to be done away from classes.
Thanks for the info. Also want to know how much and how often work needs to be done away from classes.

Generally, my school says the you have to do the same number of school hours at home - e.g. 5 sociology lessons per week (1 hour each lesson) means you have to do about 5 hours at home. But it really depends on you and how much you feel like you can do effectively.
edit: when I say 'work outside of school' that excludes homework

It really depends on your teacher and your college, but I was expected to complete a workbook about the topic and also a revision material/detailed mind map after each session, along with other essay questions here and there. Any A level is going to be High workload, but I found this annoying at the time but really useful when it came to the exams, and the work was pretty much all interesting so I didn't mind as much

Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
It really depends on your teacher and your college, but I was expected to complete a workbook about the topic and also a revision material/detailed mind map after each session, along with other essay questions here and there. Any A level is going to be High workload, but I found this annoying at the time but really useful when it came to the exams, and the work was pretty much all interesting so I didn't mind as much

Quick Reply

Latest