The Student Room Group

i did really badly in my first a level exam

I’m so stressed about getting a D in economics. It was my first economics exam ever and i just can’t stop thinking about it. It isn’t like i didn’t know the content, structuring my answers were very hard and i wasn’t sure how to revise the topic since my teacher jumps from different spec points. My other teacher didn’t explain how we had to write the questions to us at all. Anyone know how to revise economics A level? Tips would be useful please 😭😭😭
well i use econplusdal i find him really helpful i make notes from his videos then i just keep on rereading it
i also learn graph like drawing them on white board and i also made flash cards with different graphs also this book CPG economics is really good
Original post by debbietg02
well i use econplusdal i find him really helpful i make notes from his videos then i just keep on rereading it
i also learn graph like drawing them on white board and i also made flash cards with different graphs also this book CPG economics is really good i found an online pdf version too if you want me to send it lmk

thank you :wink: i will check the youtuber out and if you don’t mind please send me the pdf .
Have you just started AS? If so, cut yourself some slack. It’s not uncommon to get lower grades while you adjust to the new level of study. You’ve also got plenty of time to get feedback and learn from your mistakes.

I got a U in one of my first history exams, and went on to get a B :smile:
Reply 4
Its normal to underperform on your first exam
useful places to look at for economics is tutor2u and as someone already mentioned, econplusdal.

But while knowing the content is all well and good the hardest part imo is essay structure - like you said that something you struggled with

What I would suggest is for each topic you learn about either look up essay questions to do with that topic or make up your own.
then write a short essay plan of how you will structure your essay and what diagrams you will include
you could do this on a powerpoint and then by the end you will have loads of essay plans for each of your topics

this is what I did to improve my essay writing and it helped me so hopefully it helps you as well
dont stress... I also got a D in my first economics exam and now im in year 13 and have a very good predicted grade
good luck :smile:
Original post by hannychica
Have you just started AS? If so, cut yourself some slack. It’s not uncommon to get lower grades while you adjust to the new level of study. You’ve also got plenty of time to get feedback and learn from your mistakes.

I got a U in one of my first history exams, and went on to get a B :smile:

thank you so much ❤️ i really needed this. And congrats on History, i take it too and it’s already killing me haha
Original post by m.s124
Its normal to underperform on your first exam
useful places to look at for economics is tutor2u and as someone already mentioned, econplusdal.

But while knowing the content is all well and good the hardest part imo is essay structure - like you said that something you struggled with

What I would suggest is for each topic you learn about either look up essay questions to do with that topic or make up your own.
then write a short essay plan of how you will structure your essay and what diagrams you will include
you could do this on a powerpoint and then by the end you will have loads of essay plans for each of your topics

this is what I did to improve my essay writing and it helped me so hopefully it helps you as well
dont stress... I also got a D in my first economics exam and now im in year 13 and have a very good predicted grade
good luck :smile:

thank you so much :smile: this is very helpful and 100% i will check out tutor2U. Good luck on ur studies 💕
Reply 7
I'm literally in the same position as you right now, I probably did worst in the class 😥
There’s genuinely nothing wrong with getting grades like that at the start of A level, you have plenty if time to improve. It would be perfectly reasonable for you to get an A in your AS exam (if you take it) assuming you do work between now and then.
I got a C in a practice paper about 2 weeks before my AS chemistry exam, but I revised properly for the real thing and still got an A.

Think of the D grade as a great starting point - some people finish their A levels 2 grades below where you are now!

The main thing is to make sure you’re going through the paper properly. Do you know why you lost marks? Can you redo it and have your teacher mark it again? I used to find this really helpful.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Randomman121314
I’m so stressed about getting a D in economics. It was my first economics exam ever and i just can’t stop thinking about it. It isn’t like i didn’t know the content, structuring my answers were very hard and i wasn’t sure how to revise the topic since my teacher jumps from different spec points. My other teacher didn’t explain how we had to write the questions to us at all. Anyone know how to revise economics A level? Tips would be useful please 😭😭😭

Is this a mock, AS or full A level?
Are you Y12 or 13?
You have done no exam practice?
Original post by Randomman121314
thank you so much ❤️ i really needed this. And congrats on History, i take it too and it’s already killing me haha

Aww, thank you! I feel your pain with History, best of luck!
like others said, this is what happens to a lot of people lol. I know people who went from C's and D's in their first exams all the way to getting an A in AS. first exams don't mean much, just like how you sat your first set of mocks in secondary.

also, there's no point blaming your teacher. in the end its only you, if you don't know something you need to go to them, not them coming to you. (this is how A-level's are)

don't have any tips since I don't do a-level economics but good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest