The Student Room Group

is working 40 hours a week too much for uni?

So I've applied to work at an amazon warehouse and I have an interview coming up. However, I just read the job description and realised that it requires me to work 40 hours a week for 4 days. Is this way too much for a 2nd year uni student? I feel like it could jeopardize my uni work but at the same time I really need the experience for my CV. Any advice? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you lack the common sense to know that's too much, you wasn't going to pass university anyways.
Reply 2
Original post by Loreto2018
So I've applied to work at an amazon warehouse and I have an interview coming up. However, I just read the job description and realised that it requires me to work 40 hours a week for 4 days. Is this way too much for a 2nd year uni student? I feel like it could jeopardize my uni work but at the same time I really need the experience for my CV. Any advice? Thanks

you'll be walking dead on your feet with just that job by itself let alone a full time uni course ontop of it..

Yes its far too much.
What type of course are you doing and what is the workload like?
If there are no clashes with your timetable and two days involve working weekends, it could be okay.
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
If there are no clashes with your timetable and two days involve working weekends, it could be okay.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/may/31/amazon-accused-of-treating-uk-warehouse-staff-like-robots

I'm doing Biomedical Science and there's quite a lot of exams, essays and deadlines. I literally can't get a job anywhere else without experience especially during Covid and my CV is lacking. I know it may be a bit too much but I really feel like i have no choice.
Original post by Xarao
If you lack the common sense to know that's too much, you wasn't going to pass university anyways.

Your point would be better with correct conjugation.

Don't do it. You will fail.
Original post by Xarao

Obviously it's too much but i feel like i have no choice with zero experience on my CV and nobody else is hiring me
Reply 10
Original post by RogerOxon
Your point would be better with correct conjugation.

Your point would be better if you wasn't a 40 year old man on a student forum.
Obviously it's too much but i feel like i have no choice with zero experience on my CV and nobody else is hiring me

If you REALLY need a job, go for it. But honestly, it's way too much especially for someone with no experience. All I can say is, definitely keep applying to others and just see how it is.
Original post by RogerOxon
Don't do it. You will fail.

It's only a fixed term temporary contract so I could leave after a month if I feel like it's too much. I'm only doing it for my CV.
I'm doing Biomedical Science and there's quite a lot of exams, essays and deadlines. I literally can't get a job anywhere else without experience especially during Covid and my CV is lacking. I know it may be a bit too much but I really feel like i have no choice.

Have you thought about deferring for a year or switching to studying part time?
STEM courses are too demanding to be combined with employment of more than 20 hours a week during term time and not suitable alongside 10 hours of heavy lifting shifts several times a week.
Doesn't sound like the best idea to me.
Reply 14
STEM courses are too demanding to be combined with employment of more than 20 hours a week during term time and not suitable alongside 10 hours of heavy lifting shifts several times a week.

Not to mention Christmas is just around the corner.

To cope with the demand Amazon force all their staff to do 50 hours a week minimum over the period.

You don't do it. They sack you.

Yeah, I had a thought about it again. I might just withdraw my application then. I've been applying to so many jobs over the past year and i've not gotten anywhere....
Original post by ANM775
Not to mention Christmas is just around the corner.

To cope with the demand Amazon force all their staff to do 50 hours a week minimum over the period.

You don't do it. They sack you.

But do you think I could work for a couple of weeks and then leave just so I can have something to talk about on my CV? Or does this just look even worse to employers?
Reply 17
But do you think I could work for a couple of weeks and then leave just so I can have something to talk about on my CV? Or does this just look even worse to employers?

something is always better than nothing,
you could just lie and say it was a temp job or zero hour contract

but i honestly wouldn't stay over 2/3 weeks or your uni work will suffer too much..

This would just make you look bad, surely? Like you couldn't even hold a job down for more than 2 weeks
Original post by black tea
This would just make you look bad, surely? Like you couldn't even hold a job down for more than 2 weeks

I have heard that a few people who worked at amazon switched their roles to part time to about 20 hours, they just asked at the interview and they were offered the role. So might just do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending