The Student Room Group

Geography NEA

Hi, basically I am in Year 13 and due to COVID my school has fallen behind on NEA and we are in a rush coming up with ideas/questions and hypotheses. I want to do something revolving around infiltration rates due to easy data collective techniques etc. Has anyone got any ideas on ways I can word the investigation question?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Have you managed to word the question? I'm having the same problem and have no idea how to word a question or what to do.
Original post by User753932476
Have you managed to word the question? I'm having the same problem and have no idea how to word a question or what to do.

Hey, so I switched my whole investigation but if you're wanting to do something around infiltration rates some questions my teacher said were okay are 1. To what extent is there a relationship between infiltration rates and flood risk? (You can reference a local river catchment in your local area for primary and if there is any online flood data for your area for secondary) 2. To what extent is an anthropogenic activity the main factor influencing infiltration rates? (This one may be a little harder but still should be valid). If you were wondering what I switched my investigation to my new question is "To what extent is there a relationship between housing quality and crime rates?". To be honest, any question should be valid, as long as you can open a debate about it, and if you're unsure of what that means, in your question just use "To what extent" that should be good! Overall, just make sure you can collect primary data for your question and try not to over complicate it, using basic techniques like pedestrian count or bi-polar environmental index survey is still acceptable to use, just make sure you talk about the advantages/limitations of that technique and you should be golden. Hope this helps!
Original post by DepressedGeorge
Hey, so I switched my whole investigation but if you're wanting to do something around infiltration rates some questions my teacher said were okay are 1. To what extent is there a relationship between infiltration rates and flood risk? (You can reference a local river catchment in your local area for primary and if there is any online flood data for your area for secondary) 2. To what extent is an anthropogenic activity the main factor influencing infiltration rates? (This one may be a little harder but still should be valid). If you were wondering what I switched my investigation to my new question is "To what extent is there a relationship between housing quality and crime rates?". To be honest, any question should be valid, as long as you can open a debate about it, and if you're unsure of what that means, in your question just use "To what extent" that should be good! Overall, just make sure you can collect primary data for your question and try not to over complicate it, using basic techniques like pedestrian count or bi-polar environmental index survey is still acceptable to use, just make sure you talk about the advantages/limitations of that technique and you should be golden. Hope this helps!

Do you have any sub questions for this? As i'm told that i need some sub questions for my question but are these meant to be similar to our main question theme or? Also what data collection methods would you be using as my teacher said mine wasn't enough, my question is somewhat similar to yours (I said i would be using environmental index survey, pedestrian and vehicle type count moving to/from different areas. And i was also planning to take surveys through social media)

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Original post by User753932476
Do you have any sub questions for this? As i'm told that i need some sub questions for my question but are these meant to be similar to our main question theme or? Also what data collection methods would you be using as my teacher said mine wasn't enough, my question is somewhat similar to yours (I said i would be using environmental index survey, pedestrian and vehicle type count moving to/from different areas. And i was also planning to take surveys through social media)

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Hey, so I specifically didn't utilise sub-questions but similarly, I did utilise Aims which is similar to sub-question as they both tie into the bigger investigation title.

The Aims/sub-question I used for this NEA where:
- To consider whether the physical representation of housing influences crime rates?
- To determine the impact of housing environments have on influencing crime rates?
- To consider whether socio-economic characteristics of housing areas are more influential towards crime rates than environmental?

For methodology, similar to you, I am using an environmental index survey. However, for my specific investigation, I'm also doing the Housing decay index, Burglary Index. That's for primary. For secondary I'm utilising census data specifically for house prices for my studied area.
It's important to remember that secondary data is just as important as primary, especially because of COVID secondary data is a must for examiners to see now, but don't dwell on it too much. It's all about quality not quantity.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest