The Student Room Group

Do I need to retake Science to become a primary teacher?

So I did my Science GCSE about 2 years ago, and after finishing college I want to go into Primary teaching, however in my GCSE Science I got a 3 instead of a 4 but in English and Maths I got above a 4. I am currently thinking of taking a two year gap year, and I am about to go into a Teaching assistant job in a Primary School. Would I still need a 4 in GCSE science if I have the experience in everything else for Uni? I would be happy to retake my Science GCSE if not, but what would be the best way to do that? Or can I just do it all online? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Original post by gmorr2244
So I did my Science GCSE about 2 years ago, and after finishing college I want to go into Primary teaching, however in my GCSE Science I got a 3 instead of a 4 but in English and Maths I got above a 4. I am currently thinking of taking a two year gap year, and I am about to go into a Teaching assistant job in a Primary School. Would I still need a 4 in GCSE science if I have the experience in everything else for Uni? I would be happy to retake my Science GCSE if not, but what would be the best way to do that? Or can I just do it all online? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi @gmorr2244,

To study our Primary Education with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) course we require applicants to have GCSE Mathematics, Science and English Language with a minimum of grade 4 (C) or equivalent are required. We accept equivalency tests from Equivalency Testing for Career Development, A Star Equivalency Testing, and BCU.

Given the current situation with Covid-19, we are offering virtual events so that you can still experience how Greenwich could be the right university for you. Join us on 10th October for our next Open Day.

Hope this helps and if you have more questions, let me know :smile:

Best wishes,
Shamima

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending