The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Physics Paper 1 (Advanced Physics I) - 9 October 2020

Edexcel Physics Paper 1 (Advanced Physics I)

Date: 9 October 2020
Session: AM
Length: 1h45
Marks: 90 (30% of the total A-level)

Paper 1 covers:

Topic 1 - Working as a Physicist

Topic 2 - Mechanics

Topic 3 - Electric Circuits

Topic 6 - Further Mechanics

Topic 7 - Electric and Magnetic Fields

Topic 8 - Nuclear and Particle Physics

A formula booklet is at the end of the paper, and can be found here.

At least 40% of the marks over the three papers is awarded for maths at level 2 or above.

Content Mapping

If you're planning to use old spec papers a mapping is below:

Unit 1 - Mechanics

Unit 2 - Electric Circuits

Unit 4 - Further Mechanics, Electric and Magnetic Field, Nuclear and Particle Physics

These units do not contain anything not in the new specification.

The following do not appear in the old specification:

Moments

Derivation of equations for resistors in parallel and series.

Conduction models and the LDR

Derivation of centripetal acceleration formula using vectors.

Electric potential and equipotential lines.

Simple AC theory: rms currents and voltages

Baryon number and lepton number used to determine whether a particle interaction is possible.

Other Edexcel Physics Exams:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How is everyone feeling about this tomorrow?
I've been either scrapping As or getting just below an A in all the papers I've been doing, so I'm a bit worried that I won't get an A cos my CAG was a B, so getting anything less than an A would be pointless.

Hopefully, the grade boundaries decrease but who tf knows if they will.
Reply 2
Went decentlyish, idk how i did. I couldn't do the last question on the momentum of the particles and also the one with the 0.0001 ohm resistor in parallel.
Original post by spchee
Went decentlyish, idk how i did. I couldn't do the last question on the momentum of the particles and also the one with the 0.0001 ohm resistor in parallel.

that one was easy just find out voltage through resistor, as in parallel the voltage is same across both.
and then just do r=v/i.
it should give you 0.009, which is basically 0.01
Reply 4
Original post by anonymousxxxxyy
that one was easy just find out voltage through resistor, as in parallel the voltage is same across both.
and then just do r=v/i.
it should give you 0.009, which is basically 0.01

Well it was only worth 2 marks I believe, and there's a chance I got the first one. How did you find the rest of the paper?
Original post by spchee
Well it was only worth 2 marks I believe, and there's a chance I got the first one. How did you find the rest of the paper?

apart from one or two questions, the paper was easier.
The mcqs were really easy and i was expecting them harder.
is there any chance us two can discuss the answers.
Reply 6
apart from one or two questions, the paper was easier.
The mcqs were really easy and i was expecting them harder.
is there any chance us two can discuss the answers.

Yeah, we can, I saw a load of people discussing AQA stuff in the general autumm megathread. Unfortunately, I havent found anyone else who sat edexcel tho apart from you.
yh so in my opinion the spider and the car track was the easiest questions.
Reply 8
Original post by spchee
Yeah, we can, I saw a load of people discussing AQA stuff in the general autumm megathread. Unfortunately, I havent found anyone else who sat edexcel tho apart from you.

I sat edexcel today, I found the first half a lot easier than I thought it would be, second half more difficult but defo do-able
Reply 9

I was bugging for part c on the spider questions, was it just Kinetic Energy = Elastic energy and plug the extension in each leg into the elastic energy formula?
Original post by DanylM-D
I sat edexcel today, I found the first half a lot easier than I thought it would be, second half more difficult but defo do-able

only the final question was hard and that too the last part only.
Reply 11

Yeah the spider and car track were relatively easy questions. The only question that I had absolutely no idea what to do was the very last question with the momentum of the particle tracks. We weren't given any angles, any masses or anything so I'm a but confused as to how you were meant to do that one.

I was bugging for part c on the spider questions, was it just Kinetic Energy = Elastic energy and plug the extension in each leg into the elastic energy formula?

was it it do with impulse
i did force = mass x velocity found in above part ( that's why they said show) and divide by time.
Reply 13

I think i took a lot more time in the first half mostly due to nerves, but I think almost the entire paper was mostly doable.

I struggled on the Charge capacity question, the one where it said could the battery last for 7s
I struggled on the Charge capacity question, the one where it said could the battery last for 7s

find energy using e=qv, where q = it.
and divide by max power of motor and that should give you something like 7.8s
Reply 16

I think I found that it would last for 39 or 40 seconds if I recall correctly. Since you had to convert the AH into C, so I multiplied by 60^2.
Reply 17

was it it do with impulse
i did force = mass x velocity found in above part ( that's why they said show) and divide by time.

I think i did it a different way if I remember, but i can't remember exactly what I did, I think i remember trying to find the acceleration of the legs or something. I can't remember lmao.
Reply 18
find energy using e=qv, where q = it.
and divide by max power of motor and that should give you something like 7.8s

oop i got that wrong then :/
Original post by spchee
I think i did it a different way if I remember, but i can't remember exactly what I did, I think i remember trying to find the acceleration of the legs or something. I can't remember lmao.

Yeah idk bc they gave us values for the extension in the legs so I thought, ayte bless 1/2Fx^2 but yh i'm not sure man

Latest

Trending

Trending