The Student Room Group

Why ...

Why do we study Shakespeare for GCSE and A Level?
(intelligent answers only)
The Department of Education specifies as part of the National Curriculum that the English Language has to be taught, as part of that specification they list the works of Shakespeare as mandatory study.
Reply 2
Original post by tashkent46
The Department of Education specifies as part of the National Curriculum that the English Language has to be taught, as part of that specification they list the works of Shakespeare as mandatory study.

i know, but why, why is he so important and vital that we study him, why not somebody like christopher marlowe
Original post by Anonymous
i know, but why, why is he so important and vital that we study him, why not somebody like christopher marlowe

Because he is the most famous writer of the English language and Marlowe is not? There are plenty of Elizabethan writers of a similar quality to, if not better than Shakespeare but none of them are as well known globally.
Reply 4
Why are you Anonymous? (Intelligent answers only).
Reply 5
cos it is an essay question and i dont want my teacher to find out who posted it, i've written a few ideas down but im a bit stumped for ideas so thougt id come on here and get other peoples opinions
Original post by Anonymous
Why do we study Shakespeare for GCSE and A Level?
(intelligent answers only)

We don’t just study Shakespeare. Some schools may choose to also study Charles Dickens or Jane Austen.

Also more people would’ve heard of Shakespeare rather than Marlowe and so that’s why he was probably chosen.
Reply 7
Original post by 5hyl33n
We don’t just study Shakespeare. Some schools may choose to also study Charles Dickens or Jane Austen.

Also more people would’ve heard of Shakespeare rather than Marlowe and so that’s why he was probably chosen.

but shakespeare is compulsory, you can choose whether to study it or not as it is on both gcse and a level english literature papers and teh shakespeare question is compulsory.
Okay here are your 'core arguments'.

Popularity: We study Shakespeare because he is being studied. Circular but true.

Drama: Shakespeare's works have theatrical quality that allows us to appreciate them on stage and reach a broader audience.

Language: The language is close enough to Modern English to appreciate for a modern audience.

Literary: The quality of the prose or poetry is good (speak about verse, metre, literary figures).

History: He wrote at a definitive time in English history as part of both the Tudor (Elizabeth) and Stuart (James) dynasties.

English: Unlike many authors his work is definitively English, Shakespeare has no Latin or Greek canon unlike some other English authors.

Nationalism: Shakespeare's work fosters a common identity so the state encourages us to study it for shared bonding.
Reply 9
Original post by tashkent46
Okay here are your 'core arguments'.

Popularity: We study Shakespeare because he is being studied. Circular but true.

Drama: Shakespeare's works have theatrical quality that allows us to appreciate them on stage and reach a broader audience.

Language: The language is close enough to Modern English to appreciate for a modern audience.

Literary: The quality of the prose or poetry is good (speak about verse, metre, literary figures).

History: He wrote at a definitive time in English history as part of both the Tudor (Elizabeth) and Stuart (James) dynasties.

English: Unlike many authors his work is definitively English, Shakespeare has no Latin or Greek canon unlike some other English authors.

Nationalism: Shakespeare's work fosters a common identity so the state encourages us to study it for shared bonding.

thx so much xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending