The Student Room Group

A levels for zoology/conservation??

I’d like to work in animal conservation (maybe for the WWT or ZSL?) and therefore do a biology related degree at uni, but I’m still not 100% what A levels to do. I definitely want to do biology and geography, but I’m still not sure what to do as a third... help?
Reply 1
Not sure if you're aware but you're able to do a degree in zoology so you could go straight into it instead of doing a biology degree. I've had a quick look at some of the entry requirements in different unis and they tend to say' two sciences' or 'biology and another science'
Reply 2
Original post by Moana92
Not sure if you're aware but you're able to do a degree in zoology so you could go straight into it instead of doing a biology degree. I've had a quick look at some of the entry requirements in different unis and they tend to say' two sciences' or 'biology and another science'

Sorry I didn’t specify but I was talking about a level choices :smile: I’m not too sure what third a level to do, I was thinking about doing chemistry but I’ve heard it’s very difficult and I don’t enjoy it that much.
Original post by floppyfish
I’d like to work in animal conservation (maybe for the WWT or ZSL?) and therefore do a biology related degree at uni, but I’m still not 100% what A levels to do. I definitely want to do biology and geography, but I’m still not sure what to do as a third... help?

Hey @floppyfish

My advice would be to pick something you enjoy. Most Universities will accept Geography as a second science and therefore your third choice can be something you really want to do! This about what you have enjoyed studying so far and what you'd like to take further, it doesn't matter too much if it is unrelated. For example I did Biology, Chemistry and Economics and am now studying Biology.
Is there a subject that immediately comes to mind? If so, take it. If not, what have you done well in so far and maybe think about carrying on with that.

I hope this helps
Zoe
Second year Biological Sciences and student ambassador
A-level Chemistry is sometimes required for zoology and biology degrees, although not always (some that are very focused on ecology and conservation may not require it), so you should carefully check universities you may wish to apply to and see what their specific requirements are. Generally a second science/maths subject alongside biology would probably be favourable but not always required. You really just need to check what different courses mandate in their entry criteria and then make a decision after that; if a second science (chemistry specifically or any maths/science subject generally) is not required, you can just pick whatever you find most interesting and think you would do well in/enjoy the most.
Maths is always a good choice, but you can do whatever you want
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
A-level Chemistry is sometimes required for zoology and biology degrees, although not always (some that are very focused on ecology and conservation may not require it), so you should carefully check universities you may wish to apply to and see what their specific requirements are. Generally a second science/maths subject alongside biology would probably be favourable but not always required. You really just need to check what different courses mandate in their entry criteria and then make a decision after that; if a second science (chemistry specifically or any maths/science subject generally) is not required, you can just pick whatever you find most interesting and think you would do well in/enjoy the most.

Thanks for the answer :smile: I think I’ll do chemistry and if I don’t like it/find it too hard I’ll change it. Chemistry and bio seem to be a good combo so I’ll probably do that.
Reply 7
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @floppyfish

My advice would be to pick something you enjoy. Most Universities will accept Geography as a second science and therefore your third choice can be something you really want to do! This about what you have enjoyed studying so far and what you'd like to take further, it doesn't matter too much if it is unrelated. For example I did Biology, Chemistry and Economics and am now studying Biology.
Is there a subject that immediately comes to mind? If so, take it. If not, what have you done well in so far and maybe think about carrying on with that.

I hope this helps
Zoe
Second year Biological Sciences and student ambassador

Thanks for the answer! I think I’ll go for chemistry, I find some aspects of it interesting (especially organic chemistry) and it seems to compliment bio quite well.
Original post by floppyfish
Thanks for the answer :smile: I think I’ll do chemistry and if I don’t like it/find it too hard I’ll change it. Chemistry and bio seem to be a good combo so I’ll probably do that.

If your school allows you to try out one and then change if need be that seems like a good idea! Chemistry is very applicable to all biosciences, especially in the organic chemistry that underpins biochemistry and hence all physiology, but also the other topics can be relevant too (e.g. relating to the inorganic side of chemistry you have in biology the nitrogen cycle which is very important in ecology).
Zoology - Reading Uni - A level grades BBB including grade B in Biology and in a second science subject. Acceptable science subjects are: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, Psychology, Geography, Applied Science, Environmental Studies, Geology.

Zoology - Bristol Uni - AAB including two science-related subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Electronics, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Psychology and Statistics

Animal Science - Reading Uni - BBB, including grade B in A level Biology and another science subject (Chemistry preferred).
Acceptable science subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, Psychology, Geography, Environmental Studies, Applied Science, Geology

Wildlife Conservation - Kent Uni - BBB including one of Biology, Geography, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Psychology, Geology, Physics, Maths or any Joint Science at grade B or above.

Wildlife Zoology with Wildlife Conservation - Salford - 104 to 112 UCAS points. No specific subjects but must have 'a genuine broad interest in wildlife and conservation, enjoy working outdoors in all weathers, as well as collecting and analyzing data.'

Zoology careers - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/zoologist
Original post by McGinger
Zoology - Reading Uni - A level grades BBB including grade B in Biology and in a second science subject. Acceptable science subjects are: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, Psychology, Geography, Applied Science, Environmental Studies, Geology.

Zoology - Bristol Uni - AAB including two science-related subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Electronics, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Psychology and Statistics

Animal Science - Reading Uni - BBB, including grade B in A level Biology and another science subject (Chemistry preferred).
Acceptable science subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, Psychology, Geography, Environmental Studies, Applied Science, Geology

Wildlife Conservation - Kent Uni - BBB including one of Biology, Geography, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Psychology, Geology, Physics, Maths or any Joint Science at grade B or above.

Wildlife Zoology with Wildlife Conservation - Salford - 104 to 112 UCAS points. No specific subjects but must have 'a genuine broad interest in wildlife and conservation, enjoy working outdoors in all weathers, as well as collecting and analyzing data.'

Zoology careers - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/zoologist

You’re a saint! Thank you so much for this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest