The Student Room Group

Petting a stray cat?

I pet a stray cat earlier on. I watched my hands thoroughly and used hand sanitizer afterwards, but is there still a risk I can get a disease or something? What should I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I pet a stray cat earlier on. I watched my hands thoroughly and used hand sanitizer afterwards, but is there still a risk I can get a disease or something? What should I do?

Put it back where you found it
Reply 2
Put it back where you found it

It was outside my house, I didn't bring it in or anything. It's been coming and going for the past few weeks
It was outside my house, I didn't bring it in or anything. It's been coming and going for the past few weeks

So just put it back out there then and ignore it if it comes back
Just ignore it
Reply 5
Just ignore it

Yeah, I will! I'm just worried if there's a chance I can get a disease from petting it a little, which I already did
Yeah, I will! I'm just worried if there's a chance I can get a disease from petting it a little, which I already did

You won’t if you ignore from now on
You'll be fine. What makes you think it is a stray?
Why are there so many anon replies on this thread?
And OP, don't worry, you'll be fine.
It's probs not stray if you're in the UK, is it really skinny?

It will be fine. especially if you have washed your hands as you should do that anyway after stroking pets.
Original post by chopingirl
It's probs not stray if you're in the UK, is it really skinny?

I'm in Ireland, and yeah it's pretty skinny. We've been feeding it for the past few weeks but I never pet it before until now.
Bit late here:
Original post by black tea
You'll be fine. What makes you think it is a stray?

I'm not sure if it's a stray, but we live in the countryside so it might be a wild cat or something. Definitely not someone's pet anyway
Congratulations on catching... Feline Aids.

Yep. Feline Aids. I made sure to make it bold the second time to emphasize just how awful your situation is.

Your immune system will vanish, your cats will all catch this dreadful condition from you, and your future wife will shudder with fear when you ask to not use a rubber. Why you ask? Because of the FELINE AIDS!

***in no way am I making a joke about Feline Aids not being serious. It's a serious condition and pretty awful for pets, and all cats should be vaccinated for FIV wherever possible, strays included. I just thought it would be fun to scare the OP with the thought of them having caught FELINE AIDSSSSS
Could it be a panther?
:eek: Oh no! Not FELINE AIDSSSSS!!!!
I'm not sure if it's a stray, but we live in the countryside so it might be a wild cat or something. Definitely not someone's pet anyway

I highly, highly doubt it's a wildcat.

Quick Reply

Latest