The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Mathematics - Pure Maths 2 - 14 October 2020

Edexcel Mathematics Paper 2 (Pure Mathematics 2)

Date: 14 October 2020
Session: PM
Length: 2h
Marks: 100 (a third of the total A-level)

Paper 2 can cover anything on the Pure Maths part of specification. Earlier versions of the specification included derivatives of inverse trigonometric functions, this has since been replaced with parametric differentiation.

If you want to use old spec resources, there is a content mapping document here. Be aware that the style is different and the old specification does not cover everything.

A checklist is available here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Any predictions for paper 2?
Anyone remember What topics didn’t come up in paper 1 ?
Reply 3
Original post by Madman11
Anyone remember What topics didn’t come up in paper 1 ?

- numerical methods (trapezium rule, newton-raphson, staircase cobweb etc)
- graphs/real-life situation modelled by log y = loga + tlogb (there's another log one as well I can't remember the form of).
- proving sum formulae
- disproof by counter example, proof of irrationality of sqrt2, infinity of primes
- factor theorem
- modulus function
- parametric stuff: curves, differentiation, integration
- small angle approximation
- arcsin, arccos, arctan, sec, cosec, cot graphs
- differentiation from first principles
Lmk if i missed anything out
Original post by Unlucki
- numerical methods (trapezium rule, newton-raphson, staircase cobweb etc)
- graphs/real-life situation modelled by log y = loga + tlogb (there's another log one as well I can't remember the form of).
- proving sum formulae
- disproof by counter example, proof of irrationality of sqrt2, infinity of primes
- factor theorem
- modulus function
- parametric stuff: curves, differentiation, integration
- small angle approximation
- arcsin, arccos, arctan, sec, cosec, cot graphs
- differentiation from first principles
Lmk if i missed anything out

Yeah mate, that seems about right. I can’t remember the quotient rule either, so maybe look out for that too ? By the looks of it, it seems like there are a lot of ‘easier’ topics still left to test, which is a surprise really, because what it looks like they’ve done in the last couple of years is put on all the easy topics on paper 1, and make paper 2 a lot harder, which, so far, doesn’t look to be the case this year.
Reply 5
Original post by Unlucki
- proving sum formulae

By this do you mean trigonometric sum identities?
Original post by smarke

I think they mean proving the geometric/arithmetic series formulae. Haven't seen either come up in the new spec real/specimen papers yet.
Reply 7
Original post by beachpanda
I think they mean proving the geometric/arithmetic series formulae. Haven't seen either come up in the new spec real/specimen papers yet.

Ok thanks. Also has anyone got any idea how they could ask a Q about cobweb/staircase convergence as I haven't found one in my past papers.
(edited 3 years ago)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by smarke
Ok thanks. Also has anyone got any idea how they could ask a Q about cobweb/staircase convergence as I haven't found one in my past papers.

Found it - it's the first question on here from 2018. https://www.examsolutions.net/tutorials/exam-questions-iteration/
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Found it - it's the first question on here from 2018. https://www.examsolutions.net/tutorials/exam-questions-iteration/

Ahh thanks, I think I've actually done that question before. Is that from a real paper though as if it is its unlikely to come up again don't you think?
Original post by smarke

As beachpanda said, I meant proving the sum formula for an arithmetic series (including the formula for the sum of the first n natural numbers) and the proof of the sum formula for a geometric series :smile:
Original post by smarke
Ahh thanks, I think I've actually done that question before. Is that from a real paper though as if it is its unlikely to come up again don't you think?

It is from a real paper yeah. I think it's hard to know if it will come up again or not
Does anyone know if we need to be able to prove the compound angle identities?
I don’t think so - never seen it come up in any of the past or specimen papers. Think they just want us to be ‘familiar’ with the idea.
Does anyone know if we need to be able to prove the compound angle identities?

Not sure tbh, all the spec says is to understand the geometric proof of them. I did see it get tested on an AQA new spec paper but idk if it'd come up on an Edexcel one, i personally hope not bc i cba learning that 😬
Does everyone agree the a A will be less than 60%, please let me know
It’ll be around 60% for sure. Last year was 55, but it’ll probably go up by a bit this year. Hoping the A* doesn’t go up by much, didn’t do as well as I hoped in paper 1 and my stats and mechanics isn’t great.
I think I got around 70. Need to get 75-80 in the next 2 for an A star hopefully
Original post by Ferrari08
I think I got around 70. Need to get 75-80 in the next 2 for an A star hopefully

How’s ur Stats and Mechanics ?

Latest

Trending

Trending