The Student Room Group

Unremarkable ventures IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
Already did a runthrough of the module and that's the reason I don't think I'm a massive fan! I liked it in the beginning but it didn't stay exciting for me.

Oh no! Well, I hope you get extra enjoyment from CA and topology.
Just completed module registration. Haven't put Theory of ODEs down for now, was the one I was least sure about.

On the plus side, no group projects. Idk who they're for but eVision put me on the assessment groups without them automatically.
Evidently Warwick cannot use Teams - they've just added everyone doing maths-related degrees to a group for a first year module. And I've also been added to a few Stats groups for MathStat Core modules despite being now registered for maths. It's synced with Moodle too so there's no escape, you get automatically re-added lol.
Started researching for my essay, but in doing that I accidentally started drafting it. The good news is that the proofs I thought I'd do seem very achievable, it's just whether I'd have the space to do both of them. If I have to choose - it would be continuity of derivatives because I find that pretty interesting and honestly the existence of nowhere differentiable functions proof looked a bit long lol. The approach I'm taking is to define dense/nowhere dense/first category/etc., prove that every Baire 1 function (pointwise limit of sequence of continuous functions) has first category discontinuity set, then f(x)=limnn(f(x+1n)f(x))\displaystyle f'(x) = \lim_{n \to \infty} n \left(f\left(x + \frac 1 n\right) - f(x)\right) completes it.

I've done some preliminary definitions (well, pretty much all of them I'll need for goal 1) and a few proofs. (closed intervals are second category, Cantor intersection theorem for intervals, etc.) Really enjoying it - I'm probably going to keep on researching down this line even once I finish the essay, I think it leads to something Functional Analysisy.

Term 1 starts tomorrow but I think I've already covered all week 1 content already. Unsure if I've done so for Geometry so will check. I grinded through near the end of week 2 content for Algebra I. It's not horrific but it's not terrifically interesting either. Think I'm on the worst section though - Jordan Canonical Form, think I had just got generalised eigenvectors/Jordan chains. So fairly chilled right now.
Think I've understood the proof for one of the halfs of the essay. (Baire 1 functions continuous except on a set of first category) Would post but idk how the plagiarism detectors work, but I'm pretty happy with my understanding of it. Wasn't as complicated as I thought it might have been. This has definitely put Functional Analysis (and maybe measure theory) on my list of topics to look into.

First tutorial not too embarrassing, called an open disk a circle though and corpsed on what a ball in the taxicab metric looked like. No progress on Algebra I, been doing Multivariable Calc. Fairly dry so I skipped ahead to the section on line integrals which was pretty fun, just because I like integration. Definitely mixed feelings about that one. Waiting for them to release assignments for any of the maths modules, just been doing last year's ones. Computational Physics opens monday so I can start working the tasks then. (it's 100% coursework)

Statistics is now 10% multiple choice quizzes and I think I made a silly mistake or two on the first non-assessed one but it doesn't really matter that much. Would prefer the written assignments to be marked since they have partial credit, etc.

Also broke my phone lol (in an embarrassing way) luckily I had a spare and everything was backed up.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Think I've understood the proof for one of the halfs of the essay. (Baire 1 functions continuous except on a set of first category) Would post but idk how the plagiarism detectors work, but I'm pretty happy with my understanding of it. Wasn't as complicated as I thought it might have been. This has definitely put Functional Analysis (and maybe measure theory) on my list of topics to look into.

First tutorial not too embarrassing, called an open disk a circle though and corpsed on what a ball in the taxicab metric looked like. No progress on Algebra I, been doing Multivariable Calc. Fairly dry so I skipped ahead to the section on line integrals which was pretty fun, just because I like integration. Definitely mixed feelings about that one. Waiting for them to release assignments for any of the maths modules, just been doing last year's ones. Computational Physics opens monday so I can start working the tasks then. (it's 100% coursework)

Statistics is now 10% multiple choice quizzes and I think I made a silly mistake or two on the first non-assessed one but it doesn't really matter that much. Would prefer the written assignments to be marked since they have partial credit, etc.

Also broke my phone lol (in an embarrassing way) luckily I had a spare and everything was backed up.

lol, mind if i ask how you broke your phone?
Original post by neko no basu
lol, mind if i ask how you broke your phone?

Spoiler

I just sent my plans and a brief outline of my second year essay to my tutor probably far earlier than he'd have expected it.
Original post by _gcx

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by _gcx

Spoiler

oh dear...
Original post by Synergy~

Spoiler

Yes someone else said this too lmao
Best of luck with the essays :rave:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Best of luck with the essays :rave:

Just the one in second year, 12-15 pages though. Only worth 5% of this year. I do want my essay to link two fairly different questions because the theory used to answer both is very similar.
Original post by _gcx
Just the one in second year, 12-15 pages though. Only worth 5% of this year. I do want my essay to link two fairly different questions because the theory used to answer both is very similar.

12-15 pages :eek: yikes and it’s only worth 5%.
Sounds good, I hope it goes well... wait I mean I know it’ll go well :colone:.
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
12-15 pages :eek: yikes and it’s only worth 5%.
Sounds good, I hope it goes well... wait I mean I know it’ll go well :colone:.

That includes math blocks so it's nowhere near as much prose as the average law essay I'd imagine. There's presentation going along with it which is a bit scary. I'm surprised it's only a 6 cat module rather than 12 cats.

We'll see what my tutor thinks of what I have so far.
Miles said the draft was impressive and all the points he gave were presentational. : )))))) (though he said it was already very polished)
Original post by _gcx
Miles said the draft was impressive and all the points he gave were presentational. : )))))) (though he said it was already very polished)

Great start :borat: . Always nice to get only presentational feedback (mainly so you know your maths content is good :biggrin:). The best way to improve is just to read quite a bit and pick up the kind of things that make reading maths easier for you and to try to do those things yourself.
Original post by zetamcfc
Great start :borat: . Always nice to get only presentational feedback (mainly so you know your maths content is good :biggrin:). The best way to improve is just to read quite a bit and pick up the kind of things that make reading maths easier for you and to try to do those things yourself.

I actually did look at some of his papers on Arxiv to see what he meant by a few comments, definitely helped.

There are a few conventions I don't like - apparently it's usual to have statements of lemmas/theorems/corollaries italicised and only definitions un-italicised which doesn't look good to me. What I did manage to change without it getting flagged was stopping the appallingly ugly indentation after every new line that LaTeX defaults to, thankfully.

He also told me to include to include punctuation after displayed maths block which I never knew was a thing lol. (but a random sample of papers from professors I've had revealed they all did the same, no idea how I've never noticed it) Guess it's just something to get used to.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
I actually did look at some of his papers on Arxiv to see what he meant by a few comments, definitely helped.

There are a few conventions I don't like - apparently it's usual to have statements of lemmas/theorems/corollaries italicised and only definitions un-italicised which doesn't look good to me. What I did manage to change without it getting flagged was stopping the appallingly ugly indentation after every new line that LaTeX defaults to, thankfully.

He also told me to include to include punctuation after displayed maths block which I never knew was a thing lol. (but a random sample of papers from professors I've had revealed they all did the same, no idea how I've never noticed it) Guess it's just something to get used to.

Quite important this, as it generally looks pretty bad if you don't use punctuation to weave in and out of your maths and can make reading it quite tough.
Original post by zetamcfc
Quite important this, as it generally looks pretty bad if you don't use punctuation to weave in and out of your maths and can make reading it quite tough.

I didn't even notice it's done but now that it's been pointed out it's very obvious lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending