The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know when we get sent the contextual data forms?
Original post by SorryMedic
Does anyone know when we get sent the contextual data forms?

Last year they sent it around two days after the ucas deadline
Reply 22
Does anyone know if it matters that an applicant is predicted higher than AAB if they’re applying as a contextual applicant?
Original post by spk00
I guess your not thaat short:biggrin:. Nahh the interims are so high this yr so I don't even know. That sounds like a horrible experience, tho you could still apply to a few UCAT unis with that score! But yeah I'm sure you'll smash the BMAT and get a place either way. I'm thinking Bsms, SGUL and Newcastle so far. I 20:smile:

ooh Idk why I only just saw this, I've been busy stressing over BMAT now :frown:. I applied to SGUL!! Where else did you end up applying? I can't believe I've finally applied for med I'm so excited! At the same time super nervous, lmao my mood is all over the place. Whaaaat ur so young, ur only a little bit older than me :tongue:. Hold up how tall are you, before you get rights to mock me for my height -_-
Reply 24
Hey guys! What are we predicting to be the cut off for this year? Im aiming for the 18 mark. Has anyone heard back btw?
Reply 25
Original post by isio98
Hey guys! What are we predicting to be the cut off for this year? Im aiming for the 18 mark. Has anyone heard back btw?

Aiming for the 18 mark is decent tbf, but I doubt the cutoff will be that high. Guess it just depends on how well everyone does on the exam. And what do you mean by ‘has anyone heard back’?
(edited 3 years ago)
I have a theory that because of the cancelling of the early BMAT, across the board BMAT universities may have less applicants as a result.
I have a theory that because of the cancelling of the early BMAT, across the board BMAT universities may have less applicants as a result.

Maybe in terms of relative proportion, but in terms of raw numbers I think it'd be the same if not slightly more as there are 18% more applicants to Medicine and Dentistry across the board (comparing 2021 applicants vs 2020).

Anyway you can do a completely scientifically unproven experiement by comparing the number of TSR posts in the BMAT thread last year compared to this year.

The UCAT thread this year absolutely blew up... we have never had to have a second volume until 2020.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by RA:)
Aiming for the 18 mark is decent tbf, but I doubt the cutoff will be that high. Guess it just depends on how well everyone does on the exam. And what do you mean by ‘has anyone heard back’?

True, I just feel 18 is on the safe side but I’d be lucky to get 15 😭 the exam is so hard and I’m a final year radiography uni student. Haven’t done Chem and physics in like forever. I mean has anyone heard back to provide contextual data
Reply 29

I hope so!
Reply 30
Original post by isio98
True, I just feel 18 is on the safe side but I’d be lucky to get 15 😭 the exam is so hard and I’m a final year radiography uni student. Haven’t done Chem and physics in like forever. I mean has anyone heard back to provide contextual data

Haha yeah I’ve been finding the physics questions pretty difficult. And, yeah I’m pretty sure everyone got an email saying what the criteria were and which ones you had to provide evidence for along with the email to reply back to. The deadline to send proof is the 31st October. Have you not received the email?
Haha yeah I’ve been finding the physics questions pretty difficult. And, yeah I’m pretty sure everyone got an email saying what the criteria were and which ones you had to provide evidence for along with the email to reply back to. The deadline to send proof is the 31st October. Have you not received the email?

do you know if we don't meet any of the criteria, if we still have to send something as ''proof'' we don't?
Reply 32
Original post by mpaprika
do you know if we don't meet any of the criteria, if we still have to send something as ''proof'' we don't?

No, it’s only if you fit the contextual offer. Otherwise you’ll just be considered as a standard applicant.
Yeah relative proportion I think it's definitely true. Crazy that there's been an almost 20% increase in applicants, despite EU students being moved to international fee status. It seems many people who would have got lower grades last year, and therefore not able to do medicine, have got the required grades so are applying this year. I feel like this will mark the beginning of another step up in competitivity for medical school as each subsequent year will be feeling the effects of CAGs.
Yeah relative proportion I think it's definitely true. Crazy that there's been an almost 20% increase in applicants, despite EU students being moved to international fee status. It seems many people who would have got lower grades last year, and therefore not able to do medicine, have got the required grades so are applying this year. I feel like this will mark the beginning of another step up in competitivity for medical school as each subsequent year will be feeling the effects of CAGs.

Hopefully the numbers will be lower when exams are no longer CAG? Who knows?

But as we know med school places go up every year and new med schools are in the pipeline (planned increase) so perhaps soon enough it will "catch up" and the competition ratio will be back to pre-2020 levels soon?

I feel like more people who would have usually got in will be rejected this year, so will be applying next year etc and the cycle just continues if that makes sense. As you said though, med school places increasing could fix this but who knows?

On a separate note, this thread has been very quiet.
I feel like more people who would have usually got in will be rejected this year, so will be applying next year etc and the cycle just continues if that makes sense. As you said though, med school places increasing could fix this but who knows?

On a separate note, this thread has been very quiet.

Ah, interesting thinking. You are most likely correct but that would only explain some of the increased numbers (nearly 18,000 more applicants). I will be able to give more concrete numbers soon.

I think a lot will be people who achieved better than expected (due to the CAG U-turn), and suddenly find themselves being able to "give medicine a go" so have decided to take a gap year to apply for medicine (and dentistry) 2021. These people may not otherwise have applied.

Reply 37

oooo is that the free school meals ones? I think I already responded. And I made the account with them too and that’s it. Nothing yet on work experience etc
Reply 38
Original post by isio98
oooo is that the free school meals ones? I think I already responded. And I made the account with them too and that’s it. Nothing yet on work experience etc

Not to sound rude, but why would they ask about work experience? They only use BMAT (provided you meet the academic requirements) to select for interview? Didn’t you ask about whether we’d heard anything regarding the contextual offer?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 39
Not to sound rude, but why would they ask about work experience? They only use BMAT (provided you meet the academic requirements) to select for interview? Didn’t you ask about whether we’d heard anything regarding the contextual offer?

Ohh I thought most unis did. The other unis I applied to wanted a minimum number of hours. Yes I received that email.

Latest

Trending

Trending