The Student Room Group

Does geography count as a second science?

I’d like to do bio and geography for A level, and most vet schools that I’ve checked so far require bio at a level and a second science, does geography count or will I have to do chemistry/maths as a third?
Original post by floppyfish
I’d like to do bio and geography for A level, and most vet schools that I’ve checked so far require bio at a level and a second science, does geography count or will I have to do chemistry/maths as a third?

How would geography even count as a second science?
Yes I think so but it may depend on the vet school. Most universities will provide information on the subjects they will accept as a second science.
Reply 3
Original post by cloud_9_
How would geography even count as a second science?

Idk some unis like Reading accept it as a second science but Reading doesn’t do vet med :frown:
Having looked at entry requirements for a lot of vet schools in the uk you could take geography as a 3rd subject in addition to another “proper” science as all the ones I’ve looked at want you to have taken maths or physics or chemistry as well as Biology but most are less picky about the 3rd subject.
Reply 5
Original post by Horsesarethebest
Having looked at entry requirements for a lot of vet schools in the uk you could take geography as a 3rd subject in addition to another “proper” science as all the ones I’ve looked at want you to have taken maths or physics or chemistry as well as Biology but most are less picky about the 3rd subject.

That’s a shame, I don’t really want to do chemistry or maths but I guess I don’t really have a choice if I want to do vet med

I think they all require Chemistry unless you do one of them that offers vet med with a prelim year however you'll have a much lower chance of a place if you take this option so I'd recommend that you do biology, chemistry and geography.

I don't believe it would count - it would have to be chemistry/physics/maths.
No geography will not count as a science.
Almost all vet schools (except Harper-Keele and perhaps another) require an A in chemistry and biology at A level. Harper are happy for only one A grade being Biology/Chemistry provided the other is in maths, physics, further maths or statistics but geography is more a social science than core science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending