The Student Room Group

Using Tampons As A Virgin

Hi, I'm a 23 y.o. virgin considering transitioning to tampons. I've always used pads as I am pretty much scared putting something up there. :colondollar:

I'd like to know about the first time experience of other people who have been in this situation and any advice.

I would also like to know if I should go for a cardboard or plastic applicator, and can changing get messy?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

You should go for a plastic one, imo it's easier to use.
Changing it isn't messy, as long as you know where to put it.
A tampon isn't that big, so being a virgin won't make it harder for you, don't worry.

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm a 23 y.o. virgin considering transitioning to tampons. I've always used pads as I am pretty much scared putting something up there. :colondollar:

I'd like to know about the first time experience of other people who have been in this situation and any advice.

I would also like to know if I should go for a cardboard or plastic applicator, and can changing get messy?

Thanks

Use lube the first time and you will be fine.
Do you absolutely need one with an applicator? The environmental impact is even worse than regular tampons. If you do go applicator why don't you aim to switch to non applicator or even a moon cup to shrink the environmental impact?
Do you absolutely need one with an applicator? The environmental impact is even worse than regular tampons. If you do go applicator why don't you aim to switch to non applicator or even a moon cup to shrink the environmental impact?

An applicator will make it easier, seeing as it's her first time. Once she gets the hang of it, she could try one without an applicator.
Hi - I'm a virgin as well and I've been using tampons for the last 3-ish years (though I just transitioned to a diva cup). I first used one a couple of months after getting my first period and it really isn't that tricky. It seems scary which can make it hard but physically putting it up there is fairly easy - definitely takes some practice but its fine. Plastic is probably easier to start with but its pretty similar to be honest (plastic are just a little easier to hold and are a bit more smooth). Changing will only be messy if you've leaked and you're flow is super heavy. If I'm in school and need to wash my hands I'll normally use some toilet roll while I'm pulling it out and that way I don't get any blood on my hands. Also, totally feel free to stick a finger up there to help you get an idea of the direction you need to go in at and to make it a bit more comfortable (also for... fun :wink: female masturbation is the besttt but is so stigmatised in society. I think everyone should explore their own body before being intimate with someone else - only if you're comfortable with that, of course). You'll be fine - good luck!
Also, totally feel free to stick a finger up there to help you get an idea of the direction you need to go in at and to make it a bit more comfortable

^This is very important
Original post by KelsieTaylor
An applicator will make it easier, seeing as it's her first time. Once she gets the hang of it, she could try one without an applicator.

That I'd literally what I said.
its acc not that hard
i watched loads of yt tutoial tho lmao
its easier than u think
i just use a plastic applicator one cz thats rly easy to use
Reply 9
Thanks so much for the advice guys! :smile:

Thanks

I'd say use a plastic applicator first.

First time, I used a cardboard applicater - couldn't get it in bc of the mental block I had. I thought there'd be blood gushing out left right and centre if I didn't put it in first time, but that was definitely not the case!:biggrin:

Second time I used Lil Lets plastic applicator with a mirror to see what I was actually doing. It worked, and it felt strange putting something up there (I'm a virgin too), but once it's in you don't feel a thing! What a revolution!

I was terrified at first, but you'll get used to changing them - don't be disheartened if you don't get it in on your first, second or even fifth time!

Changing them could get slightly messy if your tampon is super full and soaked through, but once you've figured out which absorbency to use on which days, it's surprisingly clean.

I wish you the best of luck, my friend :smile:

Thanks

My advice would be to raise one leg up and rest it on your bath or simply sit on the toilet with your legs spread.
You need to relax the muscles in your vagina otherwise it'll just make it harder.
If when you're pushing it in, it hurts or feels sore, you're probably doing something wrong as it shouldn't hurt when going in properly.
It's important to remember that your vagina does not go straight up. You should angle the tampon towards your spine as you go in. What you can do is insert about half of the tampon applicator and gently loosen your grip on the applicator. It will then reposition to the right angle of your vagina and that will tell you the angle to go in.
Go all the way up to your fingers or until it won't go any further and slowly push on the applicator. You may feel the actual tampon kind of hit your cervix so when that happens, slowly pull the tampon applicator out, whilst pushing the other half in, in one fluid motion.
Once in, you shouldn't feel the tampon in at all. If you can feel it, it means you've not gone in far enough or it's at a bad angle.

Using a cardboard or plastic one doesn't make any difference I find, just think of waste management and plastic use.
Being a virgin won't change anything. I think pads are more messy tbh. You may get a bit of blood on your fingers if you're quite heavy but that's easily wiped off with a tissue before hand washing. I recommend, once in, using a bit of tissue and dab around the string to collect any blood that may have come out during insertion.
And then you're all done for about 6 hours. :biggrin: You'll know when it's full when you start to feel it, it may feel heavy. If you pull on it and it's not budging, it may be because you're clenched up or it's just not wet enough but don't worry, you can still pull it out slowly after 6 hours. Also don't worry too much about TSS like many women do. The women who got TSS left their tampons in for DAYS. Sometimes for almost 2 weeks because they simply forgot about it.

Also be prepared to have your life changed by experiencing much cleaner periods. :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)

Thanks

I started using tampons at 16 coz I used to play sports quite a lot tampons felt more comfortable tbh. It’ll take a few tries to insert it correctly but you’ll get a hang of it don’t worry. I feel better when wearing tampons because it makes me feel as if I’m not on my period ( the pad is a constant reminder - idk if it makes sense but I’m able to work/move around more easily with tampons. Ensure that the tampon doesn’t touch any dirty surface after taking off the packaging - can cause infections otherwise. To be on the safe side, I change my tampon every 3-4 hours ( if you leave it longer than 4-6 hours it can cause TSS- do read up on that)
some people prefer applicator tampons some prefer non-applicator so find what works for you. Check where everything is and get comfortable with your body but generally it's simpler than you think
I DID IT GUYS! Definitely feels better than a pad! :smile::tongue:

Thank you all again for the advice!

No problem well done
I started using tampons at 16 coz I used to play sports quite a lot tampons felt more comfortable tbh. It’ll take a few tries to insert it correctly but you’ll get a hang of it don’t worry. I feel better when wearing tampons because it makes me feel as if I’m not on my period ( the pad is a constant reminder - idk if it makes sense but I’m able to work/move around more easily with tampons. Ensure that the tampon doesn’t touch any dirty surface after taking off the packaging - can cause infections otherwise. To be on the safe side, I change my tampon every 3-4 hours ( if you leave it longer than 4-6 hours it can cause TSS- do read up on that)

That’s not right, tampons are safe to leave in for at least 8 hours - check their instructions

Yesss well done!!! Welcome to...tampon land?? :biggrin:
I think I might be in trouble... I'm pretty sure it's going to hurt taking it out. :frown:

No one talks about how it may be harder going out than in! :frown::bawling:
I think I might be in trouble... I'm pretty sure it's going to hurt taking it out. :frown:

No one talks about how it may be harder going out than in! :frown::bawling:

How do you know it's going to hurt? If you're not relaxed enough, it could hurt so clench as hard as you can down there for 10 seconds, let go then take it out! Try pulling it slightly forward as well as down just in case it gets ccaught on your hymen (very unlikely). It does feel a bit tight and uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it - if there's any unbearable pain or you feel a lot of resistance, the tampon may not be saturated enough. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest