The Student Room Group

Oxford PPE Applicants 2021 Entry

Hi! I've been lurking the forums to find other Oxford PPE applicants and I haven't found many in one place so I'm hoping this could be a *congregation point* lol.

My predicted grades will hopefully be at least A*A*A ! I'm really focusing on my personal statement right now as I slacked off over the summer! So far I've read 2 basic into to philosophy books, and half read a couple of the classic economics ones. Struggling with the politics reading tbh, maybe it's just the narrative voice!
I was hoping to have finished my personal statement by tomorrow but it's looking more like a few sections done! Lowkey stressed but I CAN DO IT!!!!!
I haven't decided on what college to apply to yet - I'm finding it hard to really rule any out since you can't really get a feel for them!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not applying to Oxford, but I'm applying for PPE:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by satsun
I'm not applying to Oxford, but I'm applying for PPE:smile:

We love to hear it! What have you been doing as prep for your PS? And where are you applying?
Reply 3
Hi, do you mind sharing your GCSE grades. Because I'm also applying to Oxford and my predicted grades, similar to yours, are looking to be A*A*A. However my GCSE grades aren't as good, they're majority 7 grades. I'm stressing about it affecting my application.
Reply 4
Original post by sal1919
Hi, do you mind sharing your GCSE grades. Because I'm also applying to Oxford and my predicted grades, similar to yours, are looking to be A*A*A. However my GCSE grades aren't as good, they're majority 7 grades. I'm stressing about it affecting my application.

Hey! Yeah - I got nine 9s and an 8 and a 7 so my GCSEs are like, the only thing I'm not concerned about as I'm pretty sure our predicted grades aren't set yet. I think Oxford don't really focus as much on GCSE grades as Cambridge does and your grades are by no means bad, so if all your other stuff is fine I wouldn't worry!
Original post by EmRep13
Hi! I've been lurking the forums to find other Oxford PPE applicants and I haven't found many in one place so I'm hoping this could be a *congregation point* lol.

My predicted grades will hopefully be at least A*A*A ! I'm really focusing on my personal statement right now as I slacked off over the summer! So far I've read 2 basic into to philosophy books, and half read a couple of the classic economics ones. Struggling with the politics reading tbh, maybe it's just the narrative voice!
I was hoping to have finished my personal statement by tomorrow but it's looking more like a few sections done! Lowkey stressed but I CAN DO IT!!!!!
I haven't decided on what college to apply to yet - I'm finding it hard to really rule any out since you can't really get a feel for them!

What A Levels are you doing?

Hoping to apply too, thinking New College
Reply 6
Original post by coffeelogic

Maths, Econ and Chemistry! I haven't decided on a college yet but i was hearing good things about New! Why did you choose it over the others?
It's

Original post by EmRep13
Maths, Econ and Chemistry! I haven't decided on a college yet but i was hearing good things about New! Why did you choose it over the others?

It's big and old, and on the open day I liked the atmosphere 👍
Have you done your application yet/chosen a college??
Original post by EmRep13

I'm applying to Christ Church for PPE and I'm predicted A* A* A* A/B (not sure on the last one yet) :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by coffeelogic

That’s what I’m considering too...what are your predicted grades?
Original post by louisa03
That’s what I’m considering too...what are your predicted grades?

I've already got an A* in maths, predicted A*A*A* for physics, further maths and history. Slightly worried because I haven't done economics... But I've read a lot and done stuff outside of school so hoping that might help 😬

Wbu?
I'm about to press 'submit' for PPE application, just worried my predicted grades are too low relative to others. Any other IB student applying PPE willing to discuss? I've 7765 HL and 66 SL which may equate to around A*A*AB in A-level terms, but IB is a bit more difficult methinks :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by joshmogs17
I'm about to press 'submit' for PPE application, just worried my predicted grades are too low relative to others. Any other IB student applying PPE willing to discuss? I've 7765 HL and 66 SL which may equate to around A*A*AB in A-level terms, but IB is a bit more difficult methinks :smile:

How about your EE and TOK bonus points? Generally, as long you're past the minimum score of 39, grades aren't as big a factor to Oxford anymore- your TSA and interview will be much more crucial.
Reply 13
Anyone applying to Queen's? I'm applying but for deferred entry in 2022 (need to complete mandatory military service in my country first).
How's everyone's practice for the TSA going? I'm applying to Keble with a deferred entry with predicted grades A*A*AB in History, Politics, Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
Reply 15
I'm applying to Balliol College PPE. Current predicted grade for IB is 43/45, with 776 for HL subjects (Economics, Global Politics and English Language and Literature), and 776 for SL subjects (Chinese B, Sports Science and Maths AA). Mostly worried about the TSA since I find it really logically challenging and I don't know the exact stats and scores of those who have gotten in PPE
I'm worried that the TSA is now online. I've been doing some practice papers, and much prefer working on the paper as you can highlight certain answers etc.
Reply 17
Hey all, just wondering where else you guys are looking to apply? I'm thinking Oxford, Warwick, Exeter, Durham and York but not sure for Exeter/Durham/York just yet.
Reply 18
Original post by vexlit
Hey all, just wondering where else you guys are looking to apply? I'm thinking Oxford, Warwick, Exeter, Durham and York but not sure for Exeter/Durham/York just yet.

I applied to PPE at Oxford, Warwick, KCL and Durham.
Reply 19
Original post by JoeCrabtree
How's everyone's practice for the TSA going? I'm applying to Keble with a deferred entry with predicted grades A*A*AB in History, Politics, Mathematics and Further Mathematics.

I'm averaging scores of around 80. But I'm more concerned about the essay, because the markscheme doesn't seem as clear-cut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending