The Student Room Group

Dermatologist private or NHS

I have one Milla by my eye on my nose that won't go away. I don't know whether to go to the NHS through my gp or to go private. Private is costing £100 just for a consultation which i don't understand why as I already know what I want removed and the consultation would be no longer than 5 minutes. However I don't know if the gp would refer me to a dermatologist and if he did how long the waiting time is to hear from an NHS dermatologist.
The waiting list for dermatology where I live is currently over a year. And it sounds like you have a cosmetic issue so your GP may not even refer you.
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
The waiting list for dermatology where I live is currently over a year. And it sounds like you have a cosmetic issue so your GP may not even refer you.

I could say it's affecting my self esteem people have had nose jobs on the NHS for that. But I don't want it to affect my occupational health check for my course so idk if I should say that.
Original post by Anonymous
I could say it's affecting my self esteem people have had nose jobs on the NHS for that. But I don't want it to affect my occupational health check for my course so idk if I should say that.

It used to be easier to get cosmetic procedures done on the NHS in the past.
Reply 4
It used to be easier to get cosmetic procedures done on the NHS in the past.

How do you know its harder now?
How do you know its harder now?

Have heard it from people who were told this by their GP
As the above has said, unlikely to get it done on the NHS unless there is a medical concern for it (what is a Milla btw?)
Additionally, as the above has said dermatology waiting list is over a year long and unless it is concerning you won't get seen early than a year. I also wouldn't be surprised if the time is increasing due to COVID and everything being delayed
Reply 7
Have heard it from people who were told this by their GP

Okay.

Original post by AzureCeleste
As the above has said, unlikely to get it done on the NHS unless there is a medical concern for it (what is a Milla btw?)
Additionally, as the above has said dermatology waiting list is over a year long and unless it is concerning you won't get seen early than a year. I also wouldn't be surprised if the time is increasing due to COVID and everything being delayed

You can search it on Google but idk if it even is that it looks like it. I used the ordinary peeling solution and then went out in the sun and its a kind of small spot that's white by my eye and hasn't gone for months.
Reply 8
You can search it on Google but idk if it even is that it looks like it. I used the ordinary peeling solution and then went out in the sun and its a kind of small spot that's white by my eye and hasn't gone for months.
Is this a millia
Reply 9
I have one Milla by my eye on my nose that won't go away. I don't know whether to go to the NHS through my gp or to go private. Private is costing £100 just for a consultation which i don't understand why as I already know what I want removed and the consultation would be no longer than 5 minutes. However I don't know if the gp would refer me to a dermatologist and if he did how long the waiting time is to hear from an NHS dermatologist.

typically around 2 to 3 months for a dermatologist. @black tea needs to move areas!

private as well will no doubt charge you a whole heap of money to remove it too.

you're better off waiting for the nhs imo, unless it is urgent or you are flush with cash and don't mind spending a lot
Okay thanks.

Original post by ANM775
typically around 2 to 3 months for a dermatologist. @black tea needs to move areas!

private as well will no doubt charge you a whole heap of money to remove it too.

you're better off waiting for the nhs imo, unless it is urgent or you are flush with cash and don't mind spending a lot

Thank you will make an appointment with my gp.
Almost all nhs waiting lists are long, approval is far from certain and total waiting times for most non-essential procedures seem to have drastically increased over the pandemic.
If you can afford to go private and avoid the long delays, do it.
Good luck!
Original post by ANM775

That's pretty speedy. Just checked again for my area and the current wait time here is 59 weeks. You'll probably have to wait 2-3 months to be seen privately!
Reply 13
That's pretty speedy. Just checked again for my area and the current wait time here is 59 weeks. You'll probably have to wait 2-3 months to be seen privately!

took me 6 weeks to see one privately in london, and due to a cancelation i got in 3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending