The Student Room Group

Personal Statament Urgent !!!!!!!

Hi TSR,

My personal statement is due very soon (internal deadline) and I am struggling as to what I should pick as part the second last paragraph.

I have spoken about the academic side although I merged with the extra curricular work (not a lot). The problem is I don't know what I should talk about either :

Building a pc
Volunteering at a charity
OR me giving a talk at an established place (I got lucky)

BTW I was applying for a Comp Sci course & I have about a sentence's worth of space left.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Parziva1
Hi TSR,

My personal statement is due very soon (internal deadline) and I am struggling as to what I should pick as part the second last paragraph.

I have spoken about the academic side although I merged with the extra curricular work (not a lot). The problem is I don't know what I should talk about either :

Building a pc
Volunteering at a charity
OR me giving a talk at an established place (I got lucky)

BTW I was applying for a Comp Sci course & I have about a sentence's worth of space left.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I feel as if building a pc can be over-done with Comp Sci applicants, however giving a talk sounds interesting or even the volunteering. Shows you're more than just a student but an active citizen, they love that stuff.

Also, what universities are you applying to?
What universities are you applying to? Talk about your skills and hobbies, the stuff that shows that you are a natural well rounded person. Mention any skills which you gained from volunteering too on your personal statement it will likely set you up for success. Include some personal information about yourself as well but do avoid rambling or irrelevant tidbits however. Provide examples to prove that you have used important life skills like teamwork and communication. You could even talk about what you learned from building a computer, just describe the process and explain what you got out of it. Use bullet points or numbers for ease and type up your whole statement in black only. It will be easier to read. Life experiences count as well.
Reply 3
Original post by MrRazor
I feel as if building a pc can be over-done with Comp Sci applicants, however giving a talk sounds interesting or even the volunteering. Shows you're more than just a student but an active citizen, they love that stuff.

Thank you for your help
I was applying to a few Russel group universities (ambitious :smile:)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by shortgirl96
What universities are you applying to? Talk about your skills and hobbies, the stuff that shows that you are a natural well rounded person. Mention any skills which you gained from volunteering too on your personal statement it will likely set you up for success. Include some personal information about yourself as well but do avoid rambling or irrelevant tidbits however. Provide examples to prove that you have used important life skills like teamwork and communication. You could even talk about what you learned from building a computer, just describe the process and explain what you got out of it. Use bullet points or numbers for ease and type up your whole statement in black only. It will be easier to read. Life experiences count as well.

Cheers for the advice, on how to link this with the rest of my statement :smile:
Btw, I was applying to a few Russel group universities (ambitious :smile:)
No problem and good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by shortgirl96
No problem and good luck.

+1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending