The Student Room Group

Best mechatronics course in uk

I'm looking to apply for mechatronics, as I want to work on humanoid robots. I'm currently looking at Leeds, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Birmingham and many others. Also looking at the Dyson Institute. I can't decide where to choose, im mostly focused on the course and modules. my dream is to create personal robots like in the movie I,robot. anyone got any suggestion for narrowing down my choices (modules, research, opportunities,...)? thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Sheffield and Bristol/UWE have the best robotics labs and so the best connections to industry for it.

I would be aware that robotics is very much a master's level topic so choosing mechatronics for your undergrad is debatable in terms of its value for going that route. You would likely be better off doing a more general BEng in CompSci or an Electronic Engineering degree with a substantial programming component. Also make sure that the universities you choose enter into lots of relevant competitions, I know Sheffield does.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
Sheffield and Bristol/UWE have the best robotics labs and so the best connections to industry for it.

I would be aware that robotics is very much a master's level topic so choosing mechatronics for your undergrad is debatable in terms of its value for going that route. You would likely be better off doing a more general BEng in CompSci or an Electronic Engineering degree with a substantial programming component. Also make sure that the universities you choose enter into lots of relevant competitions, I know Sheffield does.

I really want to work on robots for elderly care or space exploration, I thought mechatronics would be best seeing as it is quite general in mechanical and EEE incase I change my mind on what I want to work on. all the unis I've looked at have a degree of AI modules in as well which I want. Im quite keen on Sheffield and Leeds atm. any reasons why I would be better off doing a CS or EEE degree?
Original post by shrimpbody
I really want to work on robots for elderly care or space exploration, I thought mechatronics would be best seeing as it is quite general in mechanical and EEE incase I change my mind on what I want to work on. all the unis I've looked at have a degree of AI modules in as well which I want. Im quite keen on Sheffield and Leeds atm. any reasons why I would be better off doing a CS or EEE degree?

CS and EEE are closer to the skillsets desired for roboticists compared to mechatronics. Mechatronics as a course is also trying to keep you interested in mechatronics, robotics, etc, when it's not necessarily the best time to learn it, and so it ends up being a fairly inefficient way of learning mechatronics etc. I know at Sheffield it was a bit of a meme that Aerospace students were better at mechatronics and robotics than the mechatronics students.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
CS and EEE are closer to the skillsets desired for roboticists compared to mechatronics. Mechatronics as a course is also trying to keep you interested in mechatronics, robotics, etc, when it's not necessarily the best time to learn it, and so it ends up being a fairly inefficient way of learning mechatronics etc. I know at Sheffield it was a bit of a meme that Aerospace students were better at mechatronics and robotics than the mechatronics students.

But surely if I applied myself throughout the course, choosing relevant modules (machine learning, optimisation, etc), reading and keeping up to date with current affairs as well as relevant industrial experience, extra curricular activities and competitions, it wouldn't matter? does having a broad understanding of all three fields really put me at a disadvantage compared to other degrees like CS and EEE? I can see why employers or researchers would prefer someone who knows more about their degree in depth rather than mechatronics. But as a roboticist would I not be better off having knowledge of the a robot as a whole ?? I really appreciate your help and you've made me really consider choosing a different degree, just trying to make sure I choose the right one.
But surely if I applied myself throughout the course, choosing relevant modules (machine learning, optimisation, etc), reading and keeping up to date with current affairs as well as relevant industrial experience, extra curricular activities and competitions, it wouldn't matter? does having a broad understanding of all three fields really put me at a disadvantage compared to other degrees like CS and EEE? I can see why employers or researchers would prefer someone who knows more about their degree in depth rather than mechatronics. But as a roboticist would I not be better off having knowledge of the a robot as a whole ?? I really appreciate your help and you've made me really consider choosing a different degree, just trying to make sure I choose the right one.

In the case of CS/EEE BEng then Robotics MSc, yes, because you're getting that wider skillset of CS/EEE then the full skill of Robotics on top of that. You will also learn quite a lot more about robotics in practice from extracurriculars and your dissertation.
I'm looking to apply for mechatronics, as I want to work on humanoid robots. I'm currently looking at Leeds, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Birmingham and many others. Also looking at the Dyson Institute. I can't decide where to choose, im mostly focused on the course and modules. my dream is to create personal robots like in the movie I,robot. anyone got any suggestion for narrowing down my choices (modules, research, opportunities,...)? thanks

Hi! I'm a current student studying Materials Science and Engineering at The University of Sheffield. This is a general thing in the Faculty of Engineering and I love the fact that the engineering departments has so many different connections with various industries like Rolls Royce, IBM, JLR and Boeing. Some professors directly research for Rolls Royce and my department has a direct research centre with them. Because of this, I've received loads of exposure and workshops from them regarding employability or CV checking sessions, mock assessment centres and so on. My final year project is also a collab with RR so that's been great for me.

For mechatronics specifically, I know students have the opportunity to build rockets, submersible robots, autonomous payloads for satellites, rovers and more as part of the course. There's a big lab in the Diamond specifically for mechatronics students where I've seen people doing robot wars and all that.

In addition to that, Uni of Sheffield also has different initiatives that houses loads of different projects including robotics one like Avalon ROV oe Mars Rover. I was part of SunbYte which was in collab with NASA and we actually went there and launched our telescope from there. There are other student-led projects as well which multiple engineering departments fund and support.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-Sanchari
4th Year, MEng Materials Science and Engineering, UoS

Quick Reply

Latest