The Student Room Group

Can a Pharmacy help me with acne?

Hi so I have a very bad form of acne known as Nodular and the only real treatments are prescribed. It’s very difficult for me to speak to my doctor as the appointments last about 2 mins for the whole day as all the old people book them too quickly or have them pre booked. So i’m wondering could my pharmacy help me with the issue instead of my doctor?
Yes, there’s bound to be some super oxy-soap, whatever, that can be applied externally. You’re dealing with hormonal induced sebaceous gland over production, mildly infected (I’m an engineer, not a doc!) but they can surely help.

The prescribed internal meds are best left to real doctors, and need rather more than a few seconds of consultation.
due to my GPs being absolutely useless after having acne for over 5 year and still not being referred and with this corona BS people with acne are like bottom of list so just gave up and buy my treatments myself, use an online pharmacy such as dr fox for acne treatments, epiduo gel works a charm but they also offer antibiotics and other creams too without needing to see a GP, I would go for epiduo gel that’s a little more expensive that’s £25 or something but get a 3 month bottle where as through GP it’s £9 a prescription but get a 1 month bottle and more hassle but the epiduo is the only thing that has worked for me and contains the 2 best creams in one.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi so I have a very bad form of acne known as Nodular and the only real treatments are prescribed. It’s very difficult for me to speak to my doctor as the appointments last about 2 mins for the whole day as all the old people book them too quickly or have them pre booked. So i’m wondering could my pharmacy help me with the issue instead of my doctor?

If it's not an urgent issue, then phone your GP surgery and ask to book a normal appointment (or you may be able to do this via the web). It might not be for a couple of weeks, but at least it'll be booked. They might offer a telephone consultation, which you should accept. If as a result of a telephone consulation the GP decides they need to see you in person, then they'll arrange that.

In the interim, it's certainly worth talking to a pharmacist to see what they can advise.
one word: accutane. All this soap is rubbish if your acne is your hormones.
Original post by Ivartheboneless
one word: accutane. All this soap is rubbish if your acne is your hormones.

Accutane does not work against hormones....
No it doesn't change hormones. but it does stop your skin producing acne no matter the cause if it's even known. Soaps are in my experience rubbish marketing.

Quick Reply

Latest