The Student Room Group

Advice on choosing which degree course to take?

Right, so I've just turned 19 and am on a gap year with a confirmed place to begin uni in September 2021. For the past 18 months I've been 100% certain I want to study Ecology. But, within the past few weeks I've started to find Ecology kinda boring and now want to study Biomedical Science. I was really passionate about Ecology until very recently, with wanting to help protect the environment and everything, but I suddenly lost interest. I have even less of a justified reason to study Biomed though. I was looking through a textbook from year 13 about a week ago and had forgotten all about homeostasis, respiration, metabolism and all of the physiology related topics you learn about in med school and just thought to myself "Wow, this is so much more interesting than Ecology", and now I'm in two states of mind and dont know what to do. The biomed course at the uni I have a place at also ins't very adequate, so I'll have to reapply through ucas again to a whole new bunch of universities as well. Can anyone help advise me?
Thank you in advance
Are you planning on taking a course in uni because you find the course interesting or do you have a job in mind that you want to do after you graduate?
Reply 2
Original post by lege-lego
Are you planning on taking a course in uni because you find the course interesting or do you have a job in mind that you want to do after you graduate?

It's a bit of both really. I've been looking into different unis that offer biomed degrees and I personally think it sounds so much more interesting. I was also looking into careers that I can go into with a degree in ecology a few weeks back, and after doing some extensive reading on other's experiences, I dont think my personality and social life interests would cooperate well with being an ecologist. The thing that appealed to me about ecology was that I could get outside in the field, but honestly, I'm not too bothered about that aspect anymore
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Alnoo124
It's a bit of both really. I've been looking into different unis that offer biomed degrees and I personally think it sounds so much more interesting. I was also looking into careers that I can go into with a degree in ecology a few weeks back, and after doing some extensive reading on other's experiences, I dont think my personality and social life interests would cooperate well with being an ecologist. The thing that appealed to me about ecology was that I could get outside in the field, but honestly, I'm not too bothered about that aspect anymore

Well in that case, it seems like you've already made up you mind.
It seems like Biomed is for you - I'm not educated on the subject, but it seems like a more advanced Ecology tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending