The Student Room Group

Natural Sciences @ Bath

So I’ve been offered a place at the University of Bath to study Natural Sciences through clearing . I’ve visited the uni in the past for an open day, however at the time I was looking to study psychology. As such, I am not too familiar with the NatSci course at Bath. I’d really appreciate hearing from anyone who’s studied/planning to study it and what they thought of it.
Also, I want to know what the jump from a level to degree level science is like. I was very much set on studying psychology but had a change of heart on results day. I still have an offer to study psychology, just want to know if I’ll be out of my depth with the chemistry (I got an A at A level) before I release myself into clearing.
Original post by jgao22
So I’ve been offered a place at the University of Bath to study Natural Sciences through clearing . I’ve visited the uni in the past for an open day, however at the time I was looking to study psychology. As such, I am not too familiar with the NatSci course at Bath. I’d really appreciate hearing from anyone who’s studied/planning to study it and what they thought of it.
Also, I want to know what the jump from a level to degree level science is like. I was very much set on studying psychology but had a change of heart on results day. I still have an offer to study psychology, just want to know if I’ll be out of my depth with the chemistry (I got an A at A level) before I release myself into clearing.
First of all, congratulations. Secondly, just for clarity, did you choose to switch to natural sciences or were you offered this as a course change?

@CheeseIsVeg may be able to offer some advice on the difference between chemistry at A Level and chemistry at undergrad (even if it's part of natural sciences the level expected won't be indifferent to first year undergrad Chem BSc).
Original post by jgao22

Hi there :smile:
I study Chemistry at the University of Southampton and am about to go into my 3rd year :fyi:

The jump isn't too big. First year is mostly going over things you do in A level and then taking it to a slightly higher level. There is lots of support, workshops, tutorials and Lecturers give time for you to ask questions and go over anything you do not understand.
There is often maths support too. At my Uni we also had maths lectures that you could go to if you did not do maths A level or wanted a refresher.

If there's anything in particular you're worried about, don't hesitate to ask.
With an A at Chemistry A level I think you'll be just fine :yep:

Cheese
P.S Massive congrats - all the best wishes for the future! :ahee:

Original post by 04MR17
First of all, congratulations. Secondly, just for clarity, did you choose to switch to natural sciences or were you offered this as a course change?

@CheeseIsVeg may be able to offer some advice on the difference between chemistry at A Level and chemistry at undergrad (even if it's part of natural sciences the level expected won't be indifferent to first year undergrad Chem BSc).

:hugs: :ta:
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17

I called the uni up via their clearing hotline and asked about natsci and they gave me an offer. I switched from York Psychology to Bath Natsci
Reply 4
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hi there :smile:
I study Chemistry at the University of Southampton and am about to go into my 3rd year :fyi:

The jump isn't too big. First year is mostly going over things you do in A level and then taking it to a slightly higher level. There is lots of support, workshops, tutorials and Lecturers give time for you to ask questions and go over anything you do not understand.
There is often maths support too. At my Uni we also had maths lectures that you could go to if you did not do maths A level or wanted a refresher.

If there's anything in particular you're worried about, don't hesitate to ask.
With an A at Chemistry A level I think you'll be just fine :yep:

Cheese
P.S Massive congrats - all the best wishes for the future! :ahee:

:hugs: :ta:

Thanks so much, this really puts me at ease because I was worried I was making a mistake by changing. I’ve been prepping for science and psychology since year 9 and I was like what am I doing I’m taking a massive risk. This really puts me at ease!!!
Reply 5
Original post by jgao22
Thanks so much, this really puts me at ease because I was worried I was making a mistake by changing. I’ve been prepping for science and psychology since year 9 and I was like what am I doing I’m taking a massive risk. This really puts me at ease!!!

I was looking into the NatSci course at Bath and their website and module options really confuses me. Why did you choose that NatSci course over others like Notts/ Leeds, just curious?

Have you switched already or are you still thinking about it?
Reply 6
Original post by adri2000
I was looking into the NatSci course at Bath and their website and module options really confuses me. Why did you choose that NatSci course over others like Notts/ Leeds, just curious?

I really love the idea of breadth. I got my results and I was like...I really want to go down natural sciences because I didn’t want to pigeonhole myself and limit the science I was doing. I didn’t apply for the Leeds course via clearing because the modules didn’t jump out at me. With Bath you can fine tune it and select modules that play to yourself which I really like
Original post by jgao22

Hi there,

Apologies for taking so long to reply to this post! I'm guessing since Freshers' Week is over, you will have decided by now, but I'll reply anyway in case my answer helps anyone else in the future. You might fine this thread that I started about the course helpful, and also this detailed breakdown about it on another thread.

I think the only think I haven't really mentioned in those 2 threads is how the course works. At Bath the course (like Durham, I believe) works as a joint honours, so you choose a major and a minor subject from Biology, Biochemistry, Physics, Pharmacology, Environmental Science and Chemistry. The only real difference between your major and minor is that your major is what you do your final year project in. You also choose an auxiliary/optional module, which could (within restrictions and prerequisites) be a module from one of the aforementioned sciences, or one from Psychology, Management, Maths for Life Sciences or Education. However, if you take physics, you cannot take an optional module as that block is filled by a compulsory maths unit. You can find detailed information about the available major/minor combinations and the restrictions here.

If you have a keen interest in psychology, then the Bath course may or may not be suitable for you. Psychology can only be taken as an optional module in the NatSci programme at Bath, so if you'd want psychology to be your main focus, it might not be for you. However if you are interested in psychology, but it isn't your main focus, a good combination could be Biology major with Pharmacology minor (or Pharmacology major with Biology minor), with Psychology as an optional module. In pharmacology, you have an amazing module on the central nervous system, related disorders (such as depression and anxiety), the causes and treatments, which would be really interesting if you like psychology.

Best of luck with whatever course/uni you ultimately chose,
Jessica, a third year NatSci student
Original post by adri2000

Hi there,

Please refer to the other reply of mine that I've quoted below for a breakdown of the modules and link to other relevant threads and useful module documents. If you still have questions (i.e. if you're still confused by the module options) please let me know and I'll try and clarify more for you. I work at the Open Days so I've got a fair bit of experience explaining them!

In terms of choosing over other unis, the main thing to consider with NatSci is the options/modules available, along with the uni/location itself. For me it was fairly easy.

Bath (like Durham, at least when I applied) offers it as a joint honours, so you study 2 sciences for your whole degree. Other unis (i.e. Cambridge and UCL, again at least when I applied) start with 2-3, but narrow down to 1. This ruled out a fair few unis for me.

The modules available. NatSci courses vary massively at different unis as they all offer different modules. For example, Durham offers archaeology but Bath doesn't. For me personally, the modules offered at Bath, as well as the combination flexibility, were perfect. My tip would be to compose hypothetical combinations of modules at each uni you are looking at, so you can visualise what you would study at each. This way you can easily see if at a certain uni you would be force to do a module you don't like, or see which module combination works best for you. Essentially just look in detail at the modules, as NatSci at one uni may offer completely different module combinations to another uni.

The location. I didn't really want to be in a big city, so that put Bath above my 2 city options (Imperial and Edinburgh), but I also didn't want to be at a campus uni in a small, not very exciting area (which ruled out Durham). I'd visited Nottingham and York and didn't like the areas, which ruled them out. I'd visited Bath, and it's a happy medium between a city uni and a campus uni. It's in a vibrant city with tonnes to do, but the city isn't SO big that it's overwhelming.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions or need more clarification.
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

Apologies for taking so long to reply to this post! I'm guessing since Freshers' Week is over, you will have decided by now, but I'll reply anyway in case my answer helps anyone else in the future. You might fine this thread that I started about the course helpful, and also this detailed breakdown about it on another thread.

I think the only think I haven't really mentioned in those 2 threads is how the course works. At Bath the course (like Durham, I believe) works as a joint honours, so you choose a major and a minor subject from Biology, Biochemistry, Physics, Pharmacology, Environmental Science and Chemistry. The only real difference between your major and minor is that your major is what you do your final year project in. You also choose an auxiliary/optional module, which could (within restrictions and prerequisites) be a module from one of the aforementioned sciences, or one from Psychology, Management, Maths for Life Sciences or Education. However, if you take physics, you cannot take an optional module as that block is filled by a compulsory maths unit. You can find detailed information about the available major/minor combinations and the restrictions here.

If you have a keen interest in psychology, then the Bath course may or may not be suitable for you. Psychology can only be taken as an optional module in the NatSci programme at Bath, so if you'd want psychology to be your main focus, it might not be for you. However if you are interested in psychology, but it isn't your main focus, a good combination could be Biology major with Pharmacology minor (or Pharmacology major with Biology minor), with Psychology as an optional module. In pharmacology, you have an amazing module on the central nervous system, related disorders (such as depression and anxiety), the causes and treatments, which would be really interesting if you like psychology.

Reply 9
Hi there,

lol thanks i decided on doing natsci at bath in the end
Original post by jgao22
lol thanks i decided on doing natsci at bath in the end

Hi,
No problem, and that's great that you chose Bath! I hope you enjoy your time here :smile:
Jessica, a third year Natural Sciences student
Reply 11
Original post by jgao22

hi, i haven't applied to uni yet (i'm in year 12) but what grades did you get for a levels (if you don't mind me asking) as im not sure whether to apply for natsci or not...
Original post by skiii
hi, i haven't applied to uni yet (i'm in year 12) but what grades did you get for a levels (if you don't mind me asking) as im not sure whether to apply for natsci or not...

Hi,

I know this question wasn't addressed to me, but I thought I'd give my input as well so you have a few different opinions.

The standard offer at Bath for Natural Sciences is A*AA, and clearing offers (if available) are usually these grades too, or maybe only 1 grade below this. I got A*AA in my 3 required subjects (biology, chemistry and maths), but A*A*AAA in all of my A-Levels (the previous 3 plus classical civilisation and art). Cambridge's grade requirements are A*A*A I believe, and Durham's are similar to Bath. The only other universities that I can think of that offer NatSci (off the top of my head) are Nottingham, Exeter and UCL. If your predicted grades are similar to the grade requirements, then definitely go for it and apply!

I hope this helped,
Reply 13
thank you!! i know bath do one lower for doing an epq or AS maths too, which works well for me :smile:
Original post by skiii
thank you!! i know bath do one lower for doing an epq or AS maths too, which works well for me :smile:

Hi there,

No problem, I'm glad I could help :smile:

Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Hi,

I know this question wasn't addressed to me, but I thought I'd give my input as well so you have a few different opinions.

The standard offer at Bath for Natural Sciences is A*AA, and clearing offers (if available) are usually these grades too, or maybe only 1 grade below this. I got A*AA in my 3 required subjects (biology, chemistry and maths), but A*A*AAA in all of my A-Levels (the previous 3 plus classical civilisation and art). Cambridge's grade requirements are A*A*A I believe, and Durham's are similar to Bath. The only other universities that I can think of that offer NatSci (off the top of my head) are Nottingham, Exeter and UCL. If your predicted grades are similar to the grade requirements, then definitely go for it and apply!

I hope this helped,

Hi, I'm thinking of applying for Bath's NatSci course. My predicted grades are A*AA in Bio, Chem and English Lit. If i was to get A* AB, do you think they would give me an offer?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by jellyfish777
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for Bath's NatSci course. My predicted grades are A*AA in Bio, Chem and English Lit. If i was to get A* AB, do you think they would give me an offer?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi there,

The typical entry requirements are A*AA, so it would obviously impede your offer if you did not meet it. If there is space on the course after offers day, then they may be able to offer you a place. However, NatSci is an incredibly oversubscribed course at Bath so this is often unlikely. In the year I applied, I originally got AAA on results day and I was told they couldn't accept me as the course was full (I then got my exams re-marked and my grades went up so I got my place), but I know someone who missed their grades and still got their NatSci place the year prior. It honestly depends on the year, so there's no way to tell unfortunately!

I hope this helped,
That’s very helpful, thank you so much. It’s mainly my English grade that I’m concerned about so i’ll put in the effort over the next few months to ensure I get an A. Thanks again :smile:
Original post by jellyfish70707
That’s very helpful, thank you so much. It’s mainly my English grade that I’m concerned about so i’ll put in the effort over the next few months to ensure I get an A. Thanks again :smile:

Hi,

No problem! I'm glad I could help :smile: Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending