The Student Room Group

Uncle shouting and swearing at me when driving

I wasn’t even driving dangerously either, he was saying be careful, he panicking and everything. All I was doing is just doing the speed limit so when it was 30 or when it was 40 I did 40 and he was saying I’m driving like a boy racer. Thence told me to pull up, he started shouting at me shouting “you are not a ****ing boy racer you **** you need to slow the **** down” people we were looking into the car it was embarrassing a bit. I wasn’t doing anything, he was just overreacting so much and I think I was driving normal I think he’s just not patient.

Scroll to see replies

Tell him that you were not speeding and that he can take the bus if he doesn't like your driving.
Reply 2
Original post by Ne en mia nomo
Tell him that you were not speeding and that he can take the bus if he doesn't like your driving.

He was teaching me and I kept saying
Original post by Anonymous
He was teaching me and I kept say

Ask him at what speed you're supposed to drive at in for example a 30 zone and tell him to look at the meter? Speed feels different when you're a passenger. How long has he been teaching you ? Maybe he just doesn't know how well you can drive.
Or you can just slow down a bit, since he's giving you a favour?
Reply 4
He doesn't sound like a great teacher but it is often not appropriate to drive at the speed limit, even in good conditions. Part of learning to drive is about learning when you need to vary your speed to the situation - corners, parked cars etc - to below the legal limit and to learn to accelerate and decelerate smoothly without taking half your tyres off.
Reply 5
Ask him at what speed you're supposed to drive at in for example a 30 zone and tell him to look at the meter? Speed feels different when you're a passenger. How long has he been teaching you ? Maybe he just doesn't know how well you can drive.
Or you can just slow down a bit, since he's giving you a favour?

Yes and he’s been teaching me a few months. I’m not going to drive like a granny, it wasn’t even his car
Yes and he’s been teaching me a few months. I’m not going to drive like a granny, it wasn’t even his car

It's the best to drive at the same speed as other drivers around you, the speed limit is a limit, not a target.
Reply 7
It's the best to drive at the same speed as other drivers around you, the speed limit is a limit, not a target.

The other drivers were doing the same thing if not faster ffs
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
He doesn't sound like a great teacher but it is often not appropriate to drive at the speed limit, even in good conditions. Part of learning to drive is about learning when you need to vary your speed to the situation - corners, parked cars etc - to below the legal limit and to learn to accelerate and decelerate smoothly without taking half your tyres off.

My driving instructor was saying I need to drive faster because in my lessons I once got overtaken by a women in a Nissan Qashqai that’s embarrassing
Who cares who overtakes you if you are driving a an appropriate speed? Embarrassment shouldn't factor into how fast you are going.

Your uncle can either keep his cool whilst teaching or he can't. I'd stick with a proper instructor tbh.
My driving instructor was saying I need to drive faster because in my lessons I once got overtaken by a women in a Nissan Qashqai that’s embarrassing

That's actually a very irresponsible and stupid attitude, it's not a race, people's safety is much more important and frankly, noone even notices if you've been overtaken by another car.

Embarrassing because it was a woman?
Or embarrassing because it was a Nissan Qashqai?

40 is the speed limit, not the target speed. If you are just learning it is perfectly normal to be going slower.
Personally if it was me I would tell him to get out my car,I can’t really control my temper and I would probably get mad at him for being in my car if he doesn’t like my driving unless i was actually driving really fast/speeding.
Original post by GabiAbi84

40 is the speed limit, not the target speed. If you are just learning it is perfectly normal to be going slower.

Both
Original post by GabiAbi84

It was a little 1.2 Nissan Qashqai
It was a little 1.2 Nissan Qashqai

Not it wasn't.
Not it wasn't.

Yes it was, it was a little 1.2 Qashqai dci I think
Original post by Callie57
Personally if it was me I would tell him to get out my car,I can’t really control my temper and I would probably get mad at him for being in my car if he doesn’t like my driving unless i was actually driving really fast/speeding.

It was a hire car
No need to shout like that at you, you are clearly not a boy racer. Someone is using you to make themselves feel good. Shouting is not teaching, unless he lost his cool for safety reasons then his behaviour would be excused. Otherwise knocking confidence is not teaching.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes it was, it was a little 1.2 Qashqai dci I think

Don't lie, niece.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending