The Student Room Group

How do I go about studying Areosapce eng & Computer science at uni?

I’M SO fricking torn between studying aerospace engineering & computer science! I wish UK system was similar to us where I could study multiple modules! Of course I can only pursue one undergrad with gov funding. Is there any way I could go about this? Maybe aerospace at undergrad & then CS masters/postgraduate degree? How does this work?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by anowareff
I’M SO fricking torn between studying aerospace engineering & computer science! I wish UK system was similar to us where I could study multiple modules! Of course I can only purse one undergrad with gov funding. Is there any way I could go about this? Maybe aerospace at undergrad & then CS masters/postgraduate degree? How does this work?

I was in your very position not too long ago. I actually applied four of my five options at uni in Comp Sci and my last choice went to Aero Eng. I chose Aero Eng... why? Because I had studied Comp Sci at GCSE and A-Level already for four years and I fancied a new challenge and to do something different.

On the course, I can't say I enjoy or not, I took the pathway of systems and avionics where I got to program a lot as well as choose to spend my final project actually programming a robot. MEng looks like you can do the same.

There is a huge crossover. It depends where you want to go in the future. I had military aspirations so went with aero eng, but that was more for understanding of engineering rather than to go into a career necessarily in that field, although with a technical degree, it is still an option in the future.
Reply 2
Original post by AscendingWings
I was in your very position not too long ago. I actually applied four of my five options at uni in Comp Sci and my last choice went to Aero Eng. I chose Aero Eng... why? Because I had studied Comp Sci at GCSE and A-Level already for four years and I fancied a new challenge and to do something different.

On the course, I can't say I enjoy or not, I took the pathway of systems and avionics where I got to program a lot as well as choose to spend my final project actually programming a robot. MEng looks like you can do the same.

There is a huge crossover. It depends where you want to go in the future. I had military aspirations so went with aero eng, but that was more for understanding of engineering rather than to go into a career necessarily in that field, although with a technical degree, it is still an option in the future.

Wow, interesting :smile: thanks for the insight. I may do something similar to this. I want to do very similar to you. Apply for aerospace at Bristol & Swansea. Apply for compsci at Cambridge, st Andrews, Bath. Not sure what to do about my personal statement though.
Original post by anowareff
Wow, interesting :smile: thanks for the insight. I may do something similar to this. I want to do very similar to you. Apply for aerospace at Bristol & Swansea. Apply for compsci at Cambridge, st Andrews, Bath. Not sure what to do about my personal statement though.

Focus on the technical skills and apply it to topics and modules like programming, avionics, mechatronics and machine vision which apply to both. Be generic but stay on topic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending