The Student Room Group

Applying for Vet Med with an Access to HE course

Has anyone recently got into any of the vet med/sci courses after doing an access course? Or is anyone applying this year whilst studying one? I’m studying the access to medicine. Just curious as I can only find messages about getting onto vet med courses with a-levels and think it would be interesting to hear other people’s experiences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SarahLW96
Has anyone recently got into any of the vet med/sci courses after doing an access course? Or is anyone applying this year whilst studying one? I’m studying the access to medicine. Just curious as I can only find messages about getting onto vet med courses with a-levels and think it would be interesting to hear other people’s experiences

Hi, sorry I can't give you any advice but I wonder if you could maybe answer a few questions for me? I am looking to apply for access to medicine next year, with a view to applying for vet med the following year. I was wondering how intense the course is? Is it mainly biology and chemistry based?
Reply 2
Original post by Scojen95
Hi, sorry I can't give you any advice but I wonder if you could maybe answer a few questions for me? I am looking to apply for access to medicine next year, with a view to applying for vet med the following year. I was wondering how intense the course is? Is it mainly biology and chemistry based?

So it’s mostly chemistry and biology, with a small unit on physics and an intro to psychology assessment too. It’s definitely full on in the sense that it’s a lot of independent learning, and the assignments are quite in-depth. There’s also a lot extra work you have to do that won’t count to your final grade. I also have to do 4 exams for mine. If you’re doing it through a college you’ll have a little more help with it because you’ll be going to classes, but if it’s an online version then it’ll be way more independent. I’m really enjoying mine though, and it would be just as intense doing a-levels. Hope this helps! Feel free to ask anymore questions
Hello,
I'm in my first year of Vet after doing an Access Course. You may want to check this, but I vaguely remember most Vet courses preferring Access to Science rather than Access to Medicine. Are there any specific questions you would like answered?
I’m starting an access next year, either Harlow cwe or birkbeck. From what I gather different unis have different preferred access courses. It’s worth contacting the admissions of each one you’re interested in! Birkbeck is great because it’s 120 credits of chemistry and biology so opens up lots of doors including veterinary. CWE does a veterinary access. Harlow does a Medicine access course. I’m still undecided about wether I want a veterinary or a medicine route, I love the idea but I’m not sure I’d ever breach the gap of being able to euthanise. Might see you around anyway!
Reply 5
Original post by louisvbird
Hello,
I'm in my first year of Vet after doing an Access Course. You may want to check this, but I vaguely remember most Vet courses preferring Access to Science rather than Access to Medicine. Are there any specific questions you would like answered?

Hiya! Sorry for such a late reply!
Did you do the science one? Also, if you don’t mind asking all these questions lol... which uni are you at and is there anyone else, that you know of, on your course that also did an access course? I’ve found that most vet schools are pretty snobby about them. Also, how’s it been during the pandemic? I feel like it must be so difficult since it’s such a hands on course. I hope it’s all going good for you though! Thanks so much!
Reply 6
Original post by hannahbarrym
I’m starting an access next year, either Harlow cwe or birkbeck. From what I gather different unis have different preferred access courses. It’s worth contacting the admissions of each one you’re interested in! Birkbeck is great because it’s 120 credits of chemistry and biology so opens up lots of doors including veterinary. CWE does a veterinary access. Harlow does a Medicine access course. I’m still undecided about wether I want a veterinary or a medicine route, I love the idea but I’m not sure I’d ever breach the gap of being able to euthanise. Might see you around anyway!

Hiya! Sorry for my late reply! Have you made a decision yet? If not, I’m pretty sure both the science and medicine access courses would allow you to do either vet med or regular med. I’m doing one in medicine because it’s the one that best fits all the credits I need for vet school that my college offers. Otherwise I would’ve done a science one.
When it comes to euthanasia, I wouldn’t worry too much about it yet. I’ve previously worked in a hospital and seen a lot sickness, and tbh euthanasia is a nice option when an animal is suffering and you know there’s nothing else you can do for them. But I’m absolutely anticipating it’ll be a difficult part of the job.
Yes, I did Access to Science as only a couple of Vet schools even accept the Access to Medicine. Although as I said before, research this before picking which Access course to study.I'm at the University of Nottingham on their Preliminary Year course. There are no other Access students this year I think, however I know for sure there was one last year as I have spoken to her. I don't think vet schools are snobby about them; this couldn't be further from the truth! Access courses are like A Levels packed into a single year, including a big research project. They contain a variety of exams and coursework which enhances research skills. They're very intensive and universities know that mature students who do them will have been out of education for a while, making it even more impressive when you succeed. The Prelim/Gateway tends to aim to take on 25 students each September, so I don't feel like they're biased against Access, it's just they accept a wide variety of courses. For example, a couple of Access students, a couple of BTEC students, a couple of mature students, a couple of RVNs etc. each year. The main thing you need is to just meet the entry requirements, and then absolutely shine in your interview. At no point during my interview did I think the interviewer cared about which course I did, so I really wouldn't worry about people being
Original post by louisvbird
Yes, I did Access to Science as only a couple of Vet schools even accept the Access to Medicine. Although as I said before, research this before picking which Access course to study.I'm at the University of Nottingham on their Preliminary Year course. There are no other Access students this year I think, however I know for sure there was one last year as I have spoken to her. I don't think vet schools are snobby about them; this couldn't be further from the truth! Access courses are like A Levels packed into a single year, including a big research project. They contain a variety of exams and coursework which enhances research skills. They're very intensive and universities know that mature students who do them will have been out of education for a while, making it even more impressive when you succeed. The Prelim/Gateway tends to aim to take on 25 students each September, so I don't feel like they're biased against Access, it's just they accept a wide variety of courses. For example, a couple of Access students, a couple of BTEC students, a couple of mature students, a couple of RVNs etc. each year. The main thing you need is to just meet the entry requirements, and then absolutely shine in your interview. At no point during my interview did I think the interviewer cared about which course I did, so I really wouldn't worry about people

Do you know by any chance if they accept access to Bioscience in the same way they do access to science? (I’m starting in September and want to apply to Notts, Bristol, Liverpool and Harper and Keele) any info would be fab! Thanks Beth x
Original post by Bethan1571
Do you know by any chance if they accept access to Bioscience in the same way they do access to science? (I’m starting in September and want to apply to Notts, Bristol, Liverpool and Harper and Keele) any info would be fab! Thanks Beth x

Hiya,

The only definitive way to find out is to email the admissions team for each uni you're interested in. They'll be able to let you know. :smile:
I'm studying an Access to HE (Medicine) via distance and I have received an offer to start 5-year Vet Med in 2021. So yes, it's possible. When I was looking around it seemed that five of the UK universities that offer Vet Med accept HE courses (RVC, Bristol, Surrey, H&K, Liverpool), and of these three accept via distance (Bristol, H&K and Surrey). As it's mentioned above, you need to contact each university admission team individually and ask them what they are looking for. I sent them options of several courses I was considering and then went with the one that all three universities that I was eligible to apply for would accept. Also check your GCSEs meet their minimum requirements, which can be less for mature students (which I am). Holla if you have any other questions. Good luck - it'll be a fun ride. Adam.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by AdamAnimalis
I'm studying an Access to HE (Medicine) via distance and I have received an offer to start 5-year Vet Med in 2021. So yes, it's possible. When I was looking around it seemed that five of the UK universities that offer Vet Med accept HE courses (RVC, Bristol, Surrey, H&K, Liverpool), and of these three accept via distance (Bristol, H&K and Surrey). As it's mentioned above, you need to contact each university admission team individually and ask them what they are looking for. I sent them options of several courses I was considering and then went with the one that all three universities that I was eligible to apply for would accept. Also check your GCSEs meet their minimum requirements, which can be less for mature students (which I am). Holla if you have any other questions. Good luck - it'll be a fun ride. Adam.

Hi Adam, which college are you doing yours with? I’m with the Distance Learning Centre. I posted this a few months ago and I actually did end up applying to Surrey, HK & Bristol. So far I have an offer for HK. How’s it going for you, who’s your offer with? Good luck :smile:
Snap! I'm a DLCer too :-) First offer's from Surrey.
I'm on hold with Bristol and haven't heard from H&K yet.
Well done on H&K :smile:
Reply 13

Omg, that’s so funny! Are you enjoying it?
That great, well done! I’m on their wait list, and I’m also on hold with Bristol! Is Surrey your first choice?
Thank you so much, hopefully you hear from them soon!

Omg, that’s so funny! Are you enjoying it?
That great, well done! I’m on their wait list, and I’m also on hold with Bristol! Is Surrey your first choice?
Thank you so much, hopefully you hear from them soon!

Also a fellow DLCer here studying Access to HE: Medicine :smile: I've applied for neuroscience. Received offers from Leeds and Westminster so far, just waiting for Manchester, Bristol and Warwick but I'm pretty certain I'll be firming Leeds. Good luck with the rest of your offers! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by AmarRPM
Also a fellow DLCer here studying Access to HE: Medicine :smile: I've applied for neuroscience. Received offers from Leeds and Westminster so far, just waiting for Manchester, Bristol and Warwick but I'm pretty certain I'll be firming Leeds. Good luck with the rest of your offers! :smile:

Yay, a few of us on here then! That’s so good about your offers, and great you’ve picked your firm, do you know which you’ll put down as your insurance? Thanks so much, and you!
Yay, a few of us on here then! That’s so good about your offers, and great you’ve picked your firm, do you know which you’ll put down as your insurance? Thanks so much, and you!

No clue at the moment to be honest, just going to wait for the rest of my offers to come through and then decide. How far into the access course are you so far? I've still got a few modules to complete but I'm pretty much working through the course at a rate of one TAQ per day
Reply 17
Original post by AmarRPM
No clue at the moment to be honest, just going to wait for the rest of my offers to come through and then decide. How far into the access course are you so far? I've still got a few modules to complete but I'm pretty much working through the course at a rate of one TAQ per day

Ah fair enough! I’m still on Bio atm, coming up to my exam :smile:

It’s so great to hear someone else is taking this route and has succeeded! Can I ask how you found returning to education as a mature student? Do you think it’s possible to work a part time job and balance the work load? How difficult did you find the access course..... feeling so nervous about starting it as want to really do well and get the grades for the vet med! Beth x

Hi Adam, which college are you doing yours with? I’m with the Distance Learning Centre. I posted this a few months ago and I actually did end up applying to Surrey, HK & Bristol. So far I have an offer for HK. How’s it going for you, who’s your offer with? Good luck :smile:

Hi!

It's great to hear you have received applied to Surrey for Vet Med with access to the HE course.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni in general, I can help answer them for you Also if you would like to see Surrey from a student's perspective every week then please follow our Instagram page: SurreyStudent

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending