The Student Room Group

[Official] Robinson College Applicants thread 2021

Anyone applying to Robinson College (2021 Entry), or have been/ are currently studying there? I've been lurking on Cambridge threads trying to find other people who've applied to Robinson as well - and it seems like no one has! Would be nice to be able to speak to people who have stayed there or are planning to apply there.. I know that it's a fairly relaxed, small college compared to the other more popular ones (e.g. Queen's, King's, etc.) but it's size & emphasis on being a chill, relaxed college is what attracted me haha.

Moderation Note: The sharing of off-site group chats, social media handles and phone numbers is not allowed on TSR to keep our community safe, so please do not share any personal details on the public forum. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff. You can find more information on staying safe on TSR here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why not get in touch with a student in your subject at Robinson? See this link from their student union website: http://www.rcsa.co.uk/subject
Reply 2
Original post by aconstanthamlet
Hi! I’m applying to Robinson for MML. I was really torn by my college choice in the end but I ended up settling on Robinson because of how close it is to the University library and Sidgwick site and the less pretentious feel of the college, not to mention the large music and arts societies and facilities they have there! Accommodation is a drawback but I could see myself being much happier there than one of the larger and more grandiose colleges that force so many traditional rules on their students. Hopefully my application will be sent soon.

Why do you consider accomodation to be a drawback? We have a child in his third year there and all his rooms have been perfectly satisfactory.

I agree with your other reasons for choosing the college, though :smile:
Original post by kewurfwkmefhvbk
Why not get in touch with a student in your subject at Robinson? See this link from their student union website: http://www.rcsa.co.uk/subject

Thank you for this! I did so & ended up chatting with the current and past rep - both lovely people x
Hi! I’m applying to Robinson for MML. I was really torn by my college choice in the end but I ended up settling on Robinson because of how close it is to the University library and Sidgwick site and the less pretentious feel of the college, not to mention the large music and arts societies and facilities they have there! Accommodation is a drawback but I could see myself being much happier there than one of the larger and more grandiose colleges that force so many traditional rules on their students. Hopefully my application will be sent soon.

Honestly, yeah, I was torn between Homerton & Robinson but ended up picking the latter as I love it's relaxed vibe. Like idk, it just seems like such a nice chill college compared to the others and I really hope that I get into it.. The large music societies was such an attraction to me as well, as I have played in an orchestra for years so I'd love to be able to continue that at university :smile:
No way, I want to continue orchestra at university too! What instrument(s) do you play? I was really attracted to the beautiful architecture of the older colleges, but when I really thought about the environment and atmosphere that I wanted to be living in 24/7 I knew Robinson would be the best fit. I also love how the music societies put on casual mini-concerts during the week for the college with free admission! It seems like a nice contrast to the more traditional atmosphere of the other colleges in the city center. Glad to see someone else applying! :smile:

Hope we both manage to get it & can play for the orchestra there! I play the violin, viola & flute (though am not that confident in the flute) - at my high school, I was the concertmaster (so Violin 1), but as we only had one other Violist I would often just play the Viola instead as tbh it's a lot more chill and I love the depth of its sound.. What do you play?
I play the violin too! Our school had a small ensemble which was fun to play in but I also played for my local youth orchestra when I joined sixth form which was cool. I'm trying to teach myself piano too but I wouldn't say I can play it exactly...yet :lol: It's awesome that you play viola and flute too- the viola is such an underestimated instrument!

What course are you applying for?

Oo that sounds lovely! Did you do grades for the violin? And the piano is a beautiful instrument - self-teaching yourself it is impressive, I found it so challenging when I had to try and play even just the right-hand for GCSE Music lol. And it's definitely an underrated instrument - I agree with you there x Plenty of music memes make fun of us hahah

I'm applying for Economics! :smile:
I did do grades, but I stopped taking regular lessons after I got my grade 8 and now I'm just playing whatever I like! And yeah piano is tricky, although it seems much easier to learn than the violin (I will never forget the early years where I was scratching out a tune that mildly resembled twinkle twinkle little star). Do you happen to watch TwoSet Violin? They make music memes and reaction videos on youtube and they seem to be fuelling most of the viola memes.

Economics sounds so cool! The subject is beyond me, but it's such an amazing degree to have! Good luck with your application :smile:

Hahah I remember those! And the frustration, when your teacher would tell you that you weren't holding your bow right.. Glad those times are over lol. And yes haha, they are so ruthless when it comes to the viola - I get it's all bantz but some people have taken it seriously smh.

And I feel the exact same way, regarding MML! Good luck to you too :smile: I hope we both get in. Do you have an Instagram, by any chance? Would be nice to keep in contact with some potential friends in the UK x
Hey guys! Going to try and revive this thread after seeing a few more Robins applicants on the main thread. How's everyone feeling about the possibility of interviews? I'm slightly daunted by the amount of revision I still need to do, but if I get an interview I'm going to be ecstatic!

I'm really nervous, as I feel like I messed up the pre-interview test (ECAA) significantly; I really hope that I get an interview as I'd love to try & redeem myself there - especially as I love talking about Economics! I agree with you, it'll be stressful preparing for it but will bring so much joy to receive an interview
Hi there lads. I feel like nobody applied Robinson, or maybe the people that did all live in caves and have never heard of TSR🤣Anyways, am i the only medicine applicant on this thread? Would love to hear from anybody else applying for other degrees about interviews and pre interview assesments etc. How you all feeling?
Hey guys! Going to try and revive this thread after seeing a few more Robins applicants on the main thread. How's everyone feeling about the possibility of interviews? I'm slightly daunted by the amount of revision I still need to do, but if I get an interview I'm going to be ecstatic!

I'm the same, the list of stuff that I need to revise is insanely large however, an interview would motivate me very much!
Original post by MetroBoomin11
Hi there lads. I feel like nobody applied Robinson, or maybe the people that did all live in caves and have never heard of TSR🤣Anyways, am i the only medicine applicant on this thread? Would love to hear from anybody else applying for other degrees about interviews and pre interview assesments etc. How you all feeling?

HELLO! A fellow medic applicant here. You don’t understand how happy I am to see a fellow medic at Robinson. I thought nobody applied or that I applied to a college that doesn’t offer medicine. Well honestly I am not feeling very good about my application because my BMAT went badly and I have accepted the fact that the tutors are writing my rejection email. Anyhow how are u feeling?? Did you hear anything from them. Also where did apply other than Robinson. Good luck to you and wish u all the best!
Hi! I have the MML assessment tomorrow, but I'm not sure how much weight assessment results will be given this year in determining whether or not an applicant is suitable for the course...the at-interview assessments aren't being invigilated, so in theory, people will be able to cheat. I think colleges will be able to tell if the result fits with what admissions already know about a candidate, but a slightly stronger than average result might not be suspected too much, which doesn't seem at all fair if people have achieved that result from abusing the freedom of no invigilators. So, that being said, I'm feeling fairly relaxed for tomorrow...all I can do is try my best and hope it will be enough!

Thats the best attitude mate, to me it sounds like there will be much less weightage on it this year, don't worry about it!!
Original post by MichealSmith
HELLO! A fellow medic applicant here. You don’t understand how happy I am to see a fellow medic at Robinson. I thought nobody applied or that I applied to a college that doesn’t offer medicine. Well honestly I am not feeling very good about my application because my BMAT went badly and I have accepted the fact that the tutors are writing my rejection email. Anyhow how are u feeling?? Did you hear anything from them. Also where did apply other than Robinson. Good luck to you and wish u all the best!

Hi there Michael, I'm sorry to hear about your BMAT. Don't worry about it though, from the BMAT results for robinson a100 medicine offer holders the mean average for 2018 was just above 5, that means that people got interviews AND OFFERS with BMAT scores in the mid 4s aswel. So unless you got anything lower than 4.0 average I would say you still have a high chance of getting an interview!! Apart from Cam I applied to UCL, Leicester and Liverpool. Did ok in the ucat (650 Band 1) but I did very well on the BMAT so now I'm feeling better about my application overall. Glad to see another medic, thought I was alone🤣
Hi there Michael, I'm sorry to hear about your BMAT. Don't worry about it though, from the BMAT results for robinson a100 medicine offer holders the mean average for 2018 was just above 5, that means that people got interviews AND OFFERS with BMAT scores in the mid 4s aswel. So unless you got anything lower than 4.0 average I would say you still have a high chance of getting an interview!! Apart from Cam I applied to UCL, Leicester and Liverpool. Did ok in the ucat (650 Band 1) but I did very well on the BMAT so now I'm feeling better about my application overall. Glad to see another medic, thought I was alone🤣

Hey! Firstly congrats on your BMAT results and thank you for consoling me about mine. I honestly don’t know by this point because they have been so quite so, like I have an eerie feeling I not getting an interview but fingers crossed! Anyhow, did you get an interview already?? Also, good luck with the rest of your application! I am sure you are a shoo in for all.
Hey! Firstly congrats on your BMAT results and thank you for consoling me about mine. I honestly don’t know by this point because they have been so quite so, like I have an eerie feeling I not getting an interview but fingers crossed! Anyhow, did you get an interview already?? Also, good luck with the rest of your application! I am sure you are a shoo in for all.

No Michael I haven't gotten an interview yet, Robinson college are yet to give out any med interviews yet (to the best of my knowledge) so lets keep our fingers crossed🤞
No Michael I haven't gotten an interview yet, Robinson college are yet to give out any med interviews yet (to the best of my knowledge) so lets keep our fingers crossed🤞

Hey, I just got rejected. I knew that I was but I still had some hope so it is a bit disappointing. Anyhow I wish you the best of luck and hope you get that offer! Let’s keep in touch
Reply 17

Another medicine applicant to Robinson here! Slightly concerned about the response time for interview - every other cambridge applicant I know has received an interview/rejection already. What I do like about Robinson is thata there is no 'false hope' because they seem to only invite those to interview that are deemed "competitive" according to their website. IMO this is far better than being invited to interview on a pity basis of sorts, where a college interviews 85% of applicants.
Reply 18
Hey, I just got rejected. I knew that I was but I still had some hope so it is a bit disappointing. Anyhow I wish you the best of luck and hope you get that offer! Let’s keep in touch

How do you know?? I haven't received an email or anything yet!
Original post by Jeeezzz
How do you know?? I haven't received an email or anything yet!

I literally just received an email from Robinson.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending