The Student Room Group

Is it normal to wait long for HMRC job start dates?

I got my provisional job offer for Surge Rapid Response Team (SRRT) on the 04/10/19 and then completed and passed all my background checks on the 05/11/19, I was then contacted that I would be given my job start date soon. As of yet I'm still waiting to be told the job start date as HMRC are doing a "review of our available posts in all locations to ensure we have the appropriate resource to fulfil current work obligations". Is it normal that HMRC have made me wait more than 2 months for the job start date? (Getting a bit worried about the long wait...)

Edit: Got offered a start date of 26/10/2020 but I refused as I was already committed to another job. Took HMRC nearly 11 months from when I passed the background checks in Nov 2019 to give me a job start date and as HMRC had taken so long they made me take another set of background checks in August 2020 (which I had already done for a different civil service job).

Overall the recruitment process was a ****ing joke.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Heeck
I got my provisional job offer for Surge Rapid Response Team (SRRT) on the 04/10/19 and then completed and passed all my background checks on the 05/11/19, I was then contacted that I would be given my job start date soon. As of yet I'm still waiting to be told the job start date as HMRC are doing a "review of our available posts in all locations to ensure we have the appropriate resource to fulfil current work obligations". Is it normal that HMRC have made me wait more than 2 months for the job start date? (Getting a bit worried about the long wait...)

Am with Border Force, from application to start date was 15 months, so don't worry the whole process takes time I started at Holyhead today, be patient I know it's hard but it will come and when it dies it is quick! I had offer in October, but I didn't get contact from Holyhead manager until 19 Dec then my start date was given on 20th Dec, bit of a whirlwind experience but am there now! I was already a civil servant and it still took 15 months. Hope this helps with you time line that you are currently following? Which Are are you looking to join??
Reply 2
Original post by dizzyday71
Am with Border Force, from application to start date was 15 months, so don't worry the whole process takes time I started at Holyhead today, be patient I know it's hard but it will come and when it dies it is quick! I had offer in October, but I didn't get contact from Holyhead manager until 19 Dec then my start date was given on 20th Dec, bit of a whirlwind experience but am there now! I was already a civil servant and it still took 15 months. Hope this helps with you time line that you are currently following? Which Are are you looking to join??

I know that for Border Force the waiting time can be very long but I wasn't under the impression that for operational delivery (specifically for SRRT) in HMRC that the waiting time for a job start date after passing all my background checks would be over 2 months (soon to be 3 months).
Reply 3
I haven't personally been through this process. But I've managed a number of people in another Government department and they've waited at times up to 9 months for all the vetting and approvals to go through before given a start date.
Reply 4
Original post by Heeck

Hi I am also in a same position as well. I’ve passed my checks and recently been advised that awaiting start dates. Was you put on an reserve list before this stage if don’t mind me asking?

I always am hoping I hear something back as the waiting is causing me such a big anxiety and stress!
Reply 5
Original post by Jatt86
Hi I am also in a same position as well. I’ve passed my checks and recently been advised that awaiting start dates. Was you put on an reserve list before this stage if don’t mind me asking?

I always am hoping I hear something back as the waiting is causing me such a big anxiety and stress!

Hi,

I was put on the waiting list originally, then given a provisonal offer, then passed my background checks and now I've been stuck since early November waiting for the job start date. The waiting really sucks :frown:!
Reply 6
Original post by Heeck
Hi,

I was put on the waiting list originally, then given a provisonal offer, then passed my background checks and now I've been stuck since early November waiting for the job start date. The waiting really sucks :frown:!

For which location have you applied? Have you contacted them for an update?

I have and they said to me that they are currently not recruiting yet as they need to see where the work demands are and ensuring there’s enough work for everyone.. coming from a big organisation and especially the surge department, would think they would have lots of work in..
Reply 7
Original post by Jatt86
For which location have you applied? Have you contacted them for an update?

I have and they said to me that they are currently not recruiting yet as they need to see where the work demands are and ensuring there’s enough work for everyone.. coming from a big organisation and especially the surge department, would think they would have lots of work in..

The latest information I received was when I contacted HMRC for an update in early 2020 and was told that they're "reviewing all locations coupled with current work obligations and won’t know anything until this is complete.", so until they complete their reviews I cannot be given a start date .
Original post by Heeck
but I wasn't under the impression that for operational delivery (specifically for SRRT) in HMRC

SRRT isn't really HMRC. They're just the big government department responsible for running this cross Civil Service workforce/program.

Things can always change until you have been made a formal offer, but I would just try putting it out of your mind. There's nothing you can do to speed things up.
Reply 9
Original post by OnceUponAStudent
Things can always change until you have been made a formal offer, but I would just try putting it out of your mind. There's nothing you can do to speed things up.

Yea defo feels that way about being able to do nothing other than applying for other jobs.
Reply 10
Hi guys, for those above did you eventually get placed? I was on the reserve list for a little under a month before I've been given a provisional offer. I was told to email over my ID documents last week, which I've done, but am I to expect an official provisional offer email? This was what I was expecting or should I be waiting for the background checks to be sent over? Can anyone remember the approx wait times from the provisional offer to getting the links for the SC check?
Reply 11
Original post by Flx1
Hi guys, for those above did you eventually get placed? I was on the reserve list for a little under a month before I've been given a provisional offer. I was told to email over my ID documents last week, which I've done, but am I to expect an official provisional offer email? This was what I was expecting or should I be waiting for the background checks to be sent over? Can anyone remember the approx wait times from the provisional offer to getting the links for the SC check?

It took HMRC over 11 months (1 year if you include when they gave me the provisional job offer!) after having passed my background checks to give me a job start date. I would be more concerned about receiving a formal job offer and start date than when you'll be receiving your background checks.
It took 4 months for me from the day of application and now I got my start date by email last week(which is 3 weeks from now) but haven't got a formal letter yet. Anyone knows generally on what timelines we get a formal letter?
Reply 13
Original post by username5685718
It took 4 months for me from the day of application and now I got my start date by email last week(which is 3 weeks from now) but haven't got a formal letter yet. Anyone knows generally on what timelines we get a formal letter?

May I ask is this for HMRC customer service consultant 143R?
Original post by YemAd
May I ask is this for HMRC customer service consultant 143R?

I’ve applied for 143R! In Cardiff right?
Reply 15
Hi all would anyone who works for hmrc would help at all? I’m currently in an apprenticeship type of position, unfortunately the apprenticeship side of things isn’t my cup of tea. Would I be able to move internally to a different post into a non-apprenticeship type of role or would I need to apply externally?
You're unlikely to be redeploy from an apprenticeship role to a non-apprenticeship role during the period you were expected to be in that apprenticeship.

As long as you were appointed on merit following a fair and open competition to your current position, then you are eligible to apply to roles advertised across government as internal on Civil Service Jobs. You are of course free to apply for roles advertised externally. Whether you are eligible to apply for roles advertised within HMRC only is probably case by case - look at the advert.
Reply 17
Hi, thanks for that. If I wanted to quit the apprenticeship is this feasible to do so and an option? Or is this something they’ll put me against my will in my next job move and make me complete it or something?
You really need to talk to your line manager about this to see what options are available to you.

Looking at your previous posts, I'm guessing you're still in your probation period. In that case, your option are likely going to be complete it or quit your job. I doubt they'll let you keep your job and just not do the apprenticeship component.

Why don't you keep working at it while you apply for other jobs you may like more?
Reply 19
Hi yes I would not mind completing it and working it through. However the department I’m working in with HMRC is like a floater/where by we help various departments. And my current deployment is quite a lot to take in, and it’s a make or break in order to pass my probation in which I’m more stressed out about it if this also helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending