The Student Room Group

Oxford E&M Applicants 2021

Hi!

My friend doesn't have a TSR account (he uses mine O_o) so I'm starting this thread on his behalf - I personally am a Cambridge Economics applicant haha.

Questions:
1) GCSE Grades
2) A Level Predicted Grades
3) How are you revising for the TSA?
4) Which college did you apply to?
5) What other uni's are you applying to + what courses?

Scroll to see replies

My friend's stats:

1) GCSE Grades: 9988888877
2) A Level Predicted Grades: A*A*A
3) Past Papers!
4) Open Application
5) LSE (Economics), Warwick (Economics), KCL (E&M), Bath (Economics)
(edited 3 years ago)
My stats

1) 7 A* at IGCSE
2) A level predicted grades: A*A*A*A* (Maths, Physics, Economics, History) and A in English Language AS level
3) Past papers and question guide on the TSA website
4) Christ Church
5) LSE (Economics and Economic History). Economics at UCL, Warwick, and St Andrews
1) 9999998887
2) A*A*A* (Maths MEI, Further MEI, Economics)
3) Past papers + book from amazon
4) St Catz
5) Warwick (MORSE), Exeter (Economics and Finance), Leeds (Financial Maths -- Economics and Finance)

If I don't get into E+M this year I'll look at my options and why I failed then see if I want to have another shot at applying next year.
Original post by confuzzledteen
My friend's stats:

1) GCSE Grades: 998888A*A*77
2) A Level Predicted Grades: A*A*A*AA (Maths, Further Mathematics, Econs, Physics & EPQ)
3) Past Papers!
4) Open Application
5) LSE (Economics), Warwick (Economics), KCL (E&M), Bath (Economics)

Hi, sorry if this is rather strange - I was just wondering how your friend found doing 4 A levels & EPQ? I am currently in year 12 and planning to apply to do E&M at Oxford and economics at other various unis though I am undecided about whether to pursue the EPQ or not!
I personally do 4 A Levels and an EPQ as well, so I'll try to answer this as well x Both of us found it quite stressful tbh - but as 2 of our A Levels are Mathematics & Further Mathematics, it's kinda like doing 3.5 A Levels ygm as we got more studies than people who were doing 4 A Levels (that didn't include Maths & FM). Also, we sat Mathematics at the end of Y12 (lol well, 'sat' given that exams were cancelled), and then had the entire summer to write our EPQ. Hence, going into Y13, all you really have left to do are 3 A Levels as well as an EPQ presentation. The workload is definitely manageable if you've got the drive, so I really do recommend taking the EPQ, especially if you're planning to apply to Oxbridge/ competitive unis as it shows that you're passionate enough in Econ to do your own further research in it.

Thank you so much for the response! I am currently taking Economics, Geography, Maths and FM but my school does Maths and FM over both years as opposed to one each year so we have to take both exams at the end of the two years. I have three frees a fortnight, get home at around 18:00 due to travel and I have a Saturday job so I only really have Sunday free. Would you say I would be too overwhelmed with EPQ? Our school dedicates 3 hourly lessons a fortnight to it and the rest will be done out of school. Sorry i am asking you as you would have no idea with what I would be able to cope with though I am worried as I want to do everything but I can't : (
Original post by squiggle2739
Thank you so much for the response! I am currently taking Economics, Geography, Maths and FM but my school does Maths and FM over both years as opposed to one each year so we have to take both exams at the end of the two years. I have three frees a fortnight, get home at around 18:00 due to travel and I have a Saturday job so I only really have Sunday free. Would you say I would be too overwhelmed with EPQ? Our school dedicates 3 hourly lessons a fortnight to it and the rest will be done out of school. Sorry i am asking you as you would have no idea with what I would be able to cope with though I am worried as I want to do everything but I can't : (

No worries, I don't mind you asking me at all x Honestly, your schedule sounds jam-packed.. Three frees every 2 weeks is so few, and I do think that you'll need these to rest or do homework given you're taking 4 A levels. You've got long commute hours + a Saturday job, so you're really only free on Sundays - which I think you deserve to spend chilling with friends or family, or just watching TikToks in bed. I would say that based off what you've told me (nothing to do with your work ethic, but based solely off how overwhelming your schedule sounds), I wouldn't recommend taking the EPQ. At any rate, it's not like top universities like Oxford lower entry requirements if you have it. Getting 4A*s will be a lot better for your chances of getting an offer than say, 2A*s, 2A's and an A in an EPQ.
No worries, I don't mind you asking me at all x Honestly, your schedule sounds jam-packed.. Three frees every 2 weeks is so few, and I do think that you'll need these to rest or do homework given you're taking 4 A levels. You've got long commute hours + a Saturday job, so you're really only free on Sundays - which I think you deserve to spend chilling with friends or family, or just watching TikToks in bed. I would say that based off what you've told me (nothing to do with your work ethic, but based solely off how overwhelming your schedule sounds), I wouldn't recommend taking the EPQ. At any rate, it's not like top universities like Oxford lower entry requirements if you have it. Getting 4A*s will be a lot better for your chances of getting an offer than say, 2A*s, 2A's and an A in an EPQ

Thank you so much! It's so helpful to hear from someone else's perspective. I am considering taking Further Maths only to AS level and continuing on with EPQ as I feel as though EPQ would help me more in terms of essay writing etc. I shall see how things go! Thanks again :smile:
How did everyone find the TSA?
Original post by Incede

I liked it. Was smooth and didn't feel like any questions were omega difficult and blind guesses.
Original post by Farrell_Lewis
I liked it. Was smooth and didn't feel like any questions were omega difficult and blind guesses.

Nice, sounds like you've done well. I found some of the critical reasoning ones harder than previous years, just hoping for an interview now although not expecting one.
Some people applying for other courses have gotten their interview request, has anyone gotten interview request for E&M?
Original post by homuntan02
Some people applying for other courses have gotten their interview request, has anyone gotten interview request for E&M?

According to the website we should expect ours early December :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Farrell_Lewis
According to the website we should expect ours early December :smile:

What website?
Reply 14
Original post by homuntan02

not yet, fingers crossed
Hi
I’m applying for Trinity
Stats 12 x Grade 9s at IGSCE
Predicted 4xA* in Maths, Econ, Spanish, French
UK based
Starting to panic
Reply 16
1) 9999998A*A*A
2) A*A*A*A*(maths further maths Econ chem)
3) past paper
4) Keble
5) LSE(management) UCL( management) KCL (e&m) Bristol (e&m)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Incede

Time pressured on section 1, missed last 4 questions
Section 2 I wrote an esssy I had no real idea about to tried to make it Econ but v badly imo.
How did others find the essay?
Hi not sure if I’ve double posted
I’m applying to Trinity
Stats 12xGrade 9s at IGCSE
Predicted 4xA* maths, Econ, Spanish,French
Also applied to LSE, UCL and Bath
Uk student
I found TSA time pressured, so section 1 missed last 4 questions, section 2 wrote a poor essay as I tried to make it Econ but didn’t answer the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending