The Student Room Group

How do I get a QTS

I want to do a university course, BA Hons in Education but it says it doesnt come with QTs. How do i get one separately or do i have to get a pgce?
(I wanna do my BA at the Open uni).
(I wanna do my BA at the Open uni).It doesnt come with QTS though, how would i get one, or would i have to do pgce.
Original post by Cadence Abner
I want to do a university course, BA Hons in Education but it says it doesnt come with QTs. How do i get one separately or do i have to get a pgce?
(I wanna do my BA at the Open uni).

If you don't get QTS in your undergraduate degree, you'd have to do a postgraduate qualification to obtain it.

Not all postgraduate teacher training courses will require you to obtain a PGCE. Some SCITT and School Direct courses only give QTS and not a PGCE, however this is less common.

If you're certain you want to become a teacher, it's probably more sensible financially to find an undergraduate degree that comes with QTS. I'm assuming you want to be a primary teacher if you're just studying Education generally. Currently, you can't get a bursary for primary teacher training, so if you don't do QTS as part of your undergrad, then that means an additional year living off of only maintenance loan (+ any savings you have)
I'm assuming you want to be a primary teacher if you're just studying Education generally. Currently, you can't get a bursary for primary teacher training, so if you don't do QTS as part of your undergrad, then that means an additional year living off of only maintenance loan (+ any savings you have)

Im confused, so I can't get student finance for my BA (Honours) Education Studies (Primary) course?
I'm assuming you want to be a primary teacher if you're just studying Education generally. Currently, you can't get a bursary for primary teacher training, so if you don't do QTS as part of your undergrad, then that means an additional year living off of only maintenance loan ( any savings you have)

Im confused, so I can't get student finance for my BA (Honours) Education Studies (Primary) course?

No, they mean that once you have done your undergrad, you then need to do your postgrad course with student finance also-living off just the maintenance loan.
Some pgce attract a bursary on top of that for certain subjects-primary teaching isn’t one of those subjects.
However there are other opportunities to earn as you learn (but they are much less common)
They were just pointing out that if you knew you wanted to be a teacher then it may be best to go for an undergrad that gave QTS and took away the need fro postgrad training.

So to clarify, yes you can get student finance for the OU course (assuming you meet normal finance eligibility)
(edited 3 years ago)
(I wanna do my BA at the Open uni).It doesnt come with QTS though, how would i get one, or would i have to do pgce.

You would have to do a course that comes with QTS if you wanted to have QTS. :smile:
Distance learning courses as a rule don't come with a QTS recommendation.
I'm afraid your link doesn't seem to be working, it's taking me to the report post button on your thread.
Thanks, but I know my link isn't working and I'm a little too lazy to fix it. 😅
All I meant was how I was going to get a QTS after I completed the course.
Or would I have to get a PGCE instead?
Thanks, but I know my link isn't working and I'm a little too lazy to fix it. 😅
All I meant was how I was going to get a QTS after I completed the course.
Or would I have to get a PGCE instead?

If you took up an undergraduate course that didn't have QTS, you would need to follow it with a postgraduate course that did have one. PGCE is the most obvious option there.

There are undergraduate courses that offer QTS at the end, some of these are 4 years but lots of them are 3 years too. You are unlikely to find any of these offering QTS via distance learning though.
Original post by 04MR17
If you took up an undergraduate course that didn't have QTS, you would need to follow it with a postgraduate course that did have one. PGCE is the most obvious option there.

There are undergraduate courses that offer QTS at the end, some of these are 4 years but lots of them are 3 years too. You are unlikely to find any of these offering QTS via distance learning though.

Thank you.
Uh, don't I need teacher experience to do a PGCE?

If so, how do I get it if I'm still unqualified to teach?
Thank you.
Uh, don't I need teacher experience to do a PGCE?

If so, how do I get it if I'm still unqualified to teach?
Experience in a school is very valuable to a PGCE application yes. You don't have to be teaching them. Though obviously, if you get opportunity that'd be fantastic.
Ok, thank you.
I'm just a little unsure if PGCE's offer you a QTS with them because I saw something about that.

If yes, then I guess that PGCE's are accepted by all schools in England, right?
Ok, thank you.
I'm just a little unsure if PGCE's offer you a QTS with them because I saw something about that.

If yes, then I guess that PGCE's are accepted by all schools in England, right?
So PGCEs are a dual award programme. At the end, if you pass, the University recommend the government awards you with QTS, based on the evidence you've collected over the year. That qualification/status is then awarded to you by the DfE. Simultaneously, you'll be awarded a PGCE qualification from the university, often these come with Masters credits too, but this is a university qualification separate to the QTS. This migh be where the confusion is coming from. But in general, if you pass one you pass the other. :smile:

Yes they are. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
So PGCEs are a dual award programme. At the end, if you pass, the University recommend the government awards you with QTS, based on the evidence you've collected over the year. That qualification/status is then awarded to you by the DfE. Simultaneously, you'll be awarded a PGCE qualification from the university, often these come with Masters credits too, but this is a university qualification separate to the QTS. This migh be where the confusion is coming from. But in general, if you pass one you pass the other. :smile:

Yes they are. :smile:

Thanks again but I think that I have one more question on my mind...
Do PGCE'S make you more employable than if you have done a QTS?
I'm assuming you want to be a primary teacher if you're just studying Education generally. Currently, you can't get a bursary for primary teacher training, so if you don't do QTS as part of your undergrad, then that means an additional year living off of only maintenance loan (+ any savings you have)

You can get your tuition fee loan and maintenance loan from SFE as is standard.

For Teacher Training courses (which your open uni BA is not), there are usually government bursaries, which vary depending on the shortages in those subjects. The bursaries have very recently been totally slashed though.

Just to let you know I've merged your two threads now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending