The Student Room Group

Can I drop EPQ after having sent application?

I have mentioned the EPQ on my personal statement, however it didn’t go down as an official qualification on UCAS.

The universities I’m applying to include LSE and UCL, who won’t offer alternative grades for an EPQ. If I were to drop my EPQ would that be okay? Also would it go down as a U, if I dropped it?
Original post by Jacob960
I have mentioned the EPQ on my personal statement, however it didn’t go down as an official qualification on UCAS.

The universities I’m applying to include LSE and UCL, who won’t offer alternative grades for an EPQ. If I were to drop my EPQ would that be okay? Also would it go down as a U, if I dropped it?

It wouldn't go down as a U if you dropped it and I doubt LSE or UCL would care since they don't count it when giving their grade requirements. However, you should inform them of any changes so email LSE and UCL Admissions just to let them know you are dropping it.
I mean, after putting in a lot of hard work to achieve an EPQ, I would definitely not disregard it regardless of whether universities care for it- as it must be somewhat personal to you! But if you do decide to drop your EPQ, it will not go down as a U as it didn't go down as an official qualification, make sure you take out the parts on EPQ on your ps if this is the case. Good luck!
You always need to let your choices know if you’re dropping a pending qualification, even if it’s not included in their offers. In the vast, vast majority of cases they will not care.
I think its gonna be fine but make sure you let the unis know you are dropping it (and maybe give a good reason for why you are dropping it?)
Original post by Catatttttttt
I think its gonna be fine but make sure you let the unis know you are dropping it (and maybe give a good reason for why you are dropping it?)

I honestly don't think LSE or UCL will care why
No, the reasons are always the same, ‘to concentrate on my other subjects’. It’s preferable to keep the message short tbh.
Reply 7
Original post by divaani28
I mean, after putting in a lot of hard work to achieve an EPQ, I would definitely not disregard it regardless of whether universities care for it- as it must be somewhat personal to you! But if you do decide to drop your EPQ, it will not go down as a U as it didn't go down as an official qualification, make sure you take out the parts on EPQ on your ps if this is the case. Good luck!

I’ve already sent my UCAS application, so can’t edit my personal statement. Neither LSE nor UCL interview for what I am applying for. So would I still be fine if I dropped it?
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
You always need to let your choices know if you’re dropping a pending qualification, even if it’s not included in their offers. In the vast, vast majority of cases they will not care.

It’s not a pending qualification, the EPQ is only mentioned on my personal statement - it wasn’t put down anywhere else on my UCAS application. Would I still need to email them?
I’ve already sent my UCAS application, so can’t edit my personal statement. Neither LSE nor UCL interview for what I am applying for. So would I still be fine if I dropped it?

You just need to contact them to ask. They’ll more than likely be fine with it, regardless of what you discussed in your PS.
It’s not a pending qualification, the EPQ is only mentioned on my personal statement - it wasn’t put down anywhere else on my UCAS application. Would I still need to email them?

Yes, because you don’t know whether they took it into account (or will take it into account) when giving you an offer.

They won’t care, but it says in the bit of the UCAS application before you submit it that you say you have a qualification you don’t have or if any part of your application changes and you don’t notify anyone, your application may be cancelled or the inis could take back their offers. So yeah they won’t care, but it’s best to just let them know!!
Reply 12
I'm in the exact same situation. I started my EPQ last year and completed all of the research. However, this year with the complications of COVID-19, I have decided not to complete it. I have already sent my UCAS application where I included it on my personal statement but not in my qualifications. None of the universities I applied to reduce offers for if you have an EPQ so I used it to show my passion in my PS.
Should I contact UCAS or the individual universities?
Original post by k86754
I'm in the exact same situation. I started my EPQ last year and completed all of the research. However, this year with the complications of COVID-19, I have decided not to complete it. I have already sent my UCAS application where I included it on my personal statement but not in my qualifications. None of the universities I applied to reduce offers for if you have an EPQ so I used it to show my passion in my PS.
Should I contact UCAS or the individual universities?

Just email your unis (Admissions) and inform them that you have now dropped the EPQ. Very unlikely to make any difference at all if they didn't make you reduced offers but you have then been completely transparent
Reply 14
Original post by harrysbar
Just email your unis (Admissions) and inform them that you have now dropped the EPQ. Very unlikely to make any difference at all if they didn't make you reduced offers but you have then been completely transparent

Thank you for your reply. I have now contacted all of the universities explaining that I can no longer do the EPQ. I hope this won't affect my application at all
Original post by k86754
Thank you for your reply. I have now contacted all of the universities explaining that I can no longer do the EPQ. I hope this won't affect my application at all

It is very unlikely to affect anything at all apart from the time you have available to concentrate on your A levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending