The Student Room Group

DHSC Health Policy Fast Track Scheme 2021

Just starting up a thread for this scheme! I don't think I've seen one yet, feel free to redirect me if you're reading this and there is one already out there!
The scheme opens Friday 16th Oct, and the NHS team are running a series of joint information events for this scheme and the NHS Grad Scheme.
To register your interest and get the links email [email protected]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haven’t seen one either, this is great!

Hey, I'm thinking of applying to this. I tried last year and didnt get through the first stage. I'm a fresh chem grad now but i'm not sure why my first application was rejected so quickly. Do you know if they require any specific experiences or they expect a second degree?
Reply 4
Original post by chemgrad1414
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to this. I tried last year and didnt get through the first stage. I'm a fresh chem grad now but i'm not sure why my first application was rejected so quickly. Do you know if they require any specific experiences or they expect a second degree?

I can't give you any specific advice, but as far as I am aware there's no requirement other than having a degree. Once you apply you should be asked to take a test, which isn't fun and obviously it's possible to fail on that as there's a clear cut off pass/fail mark but obviously you don't know what mark is, but you will obviously be knocked out if you don't meet it.
If you get to the written stage you should have had at least a little feedback but I know you don't get much, probably just a number and sometimes they don't even tell you what it's out of which can be frustrating.
There are only 15 places and you will be going up against people with relevant degrees AND internal candidates, as existing civil servants can apply without a degree. Personally, I will be applying again but it isn't one that I pin my hopes and dreams on simply because of how competitive it is!
The only thing I can think is if you were applying before you graduated? I don't know how it works tbh as I'm not a grad.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I just finished taking the initial tests but scored pretty low but I still got through to the next stage, will my scores impact the CV and personal statement section or are they forgotten about once you move on?
Reply 6
Original post by FM97
I just finished taking the initial tests but scored pretty low but I still got through to the next stage, will my scores impact the CV and personal statement section or are they forgotten about once you move on?

The scores themselves won't have any impact on later stages, but I suspect (note suspect, not know) that they probably reserve the right to raise the pass mark later down the line if they have too many applications. I've fallen foul of that a few times on standard applications, so it might be the same here or it might not be because it's a grad scheme.
Original post by FM97

That’s still great you got through to the next stage! Do you mind me asking what your scores were for the initial tests? Don’t think I did too well myself but can’t seem to find the results yet.
Reply 8
Original post by Marfyy2
The scores themselves won't have any impact on later stages, but I suspect (note suspect, not know) that they probably reserve the right to raise the pass mark later down the line if they have too many applications. I've fallen foul of that a few times on standard applications, so it might be the same here or it might not be because it's a grad scheme.

Oh I see, thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by Elisamary30
That’s still great you got through to the next stage! Do you mind me asking what your scores were for the initial tests? Don’t think I did too well myself but can’t seem to find the results yet.

Thank you! I've not got high hopes though because the feedback said I scored 38% better than the control groups but it said that I passed the minimum so I got through to the CV and personal statement
The feedback came through 5mins later too
How are you guys structuring the CV between the employment history and previous skills and experience? I'm not sure which bit to go into detail on my skills gained from the job etc.
Reply 11
Original post by Elisamary30

Don't know whether or not you've found it yet but just in case, you should be able to click 'review' on the right hand side of the entry in your applications list on the CS Jobs portal, then you should have a green feedback button and in there you should get a score and then a link to a test report.
Original post by nervecardinal
How are you guys structuring the CV between the employment history and previous skills and experience? I'm not sure which bit to go into detail on my skills gained from the job etc.

A very good question that I don't know the answer to! I normally do CV + job descriptions in the CV box and then match the criteria to my skills with one or two brief examples for each criteria. I certainly have no idea whether that's the right approach though, I don't think I've applied for any where the CV is such an important part of it - standard CS jobs tend to sift on behaviours first (or expect your personal statement to cover the behaviours) whereas with this behaviours don't seem to come into the written elements at all so I'm a bit wary...
Reply 12
Original post by FM97
Thank you! I've not got high hopes though because the feedback said I scored 38% better than the control groups but it said that I passed the minimum so I got through to the CV and personal statement
The feedback came through 5mins later too

Last year they did use the score from the situational judgment test and combined it with the score from CV and statement to get a score I think out of 120. If its the same like last year you will need to definitely write an impressive statement and have a well detailed CV. This scheme is so competitive that I am not sure I am going to reapply this year sadly.
Reply 13
Original post by Sctorch
Last year they did use the score from the situational judgment test and combined it with the score from CV and statement to get a score I think out of 120. If its the same like last year you will need to definitely write an impressive statement and have a well detailed CV. This scheme is so competitive that I am not sure I am going to reapply this year sadly.

Wow! I've never ever heard of the test being taken into account once you either pass or fail and I've applied for a LOT of jobs 😂
That's terrifying, glad I practiced it first using the TSP application now!

I'm not pinning all my hopes and dreams on this scheme but I think it's absolutely worth applying and will just cross my fingers and pray! I have absolutely no relevant education or expertise but I have passion in spades haha! Hopefully that counts for something 🤞🤞🤞
Original post by Sctorch

where did you hear this?
Reply 15
where did you hear this?

I applied last year and was quite insistent on feedback though did not get much in the end.
Reply 16
That's reassuring! DHSC is the only department I'd consider permanently relocating for so I'm glad to hear it's probably worth it!
Reply 17
Good luck to everyone with their applications! What sort of marks are people getting? It’s my first year applying, so I’m not sure what to expect regarding pass marks and average marks!
You don't really get a mark you just get given a percentage of how much better you did in comparison to a control group / other people. I got 84% better, which was surprising because I found it quite difficult - I've seen that people have got through to the next stage within the 30%s.
Original post by rhilou
Good luck to everyone with their applications! What sort of marks are people getting? It’s my first year applying, so I’m not sure what to expect regarding pass marks and average marks!
Reply 19
You don't really get a mark you just get given a percentage of how much better you did in comparison to a control group / other people. I got 84% better, which was surprising because I found it quite difficult - I've seen that people have got through to the next stage within the 30%s.

Oh congratulations, that’s an amazing achievement. Thank you for the info, and best of luck with the rest of your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending