The Student Room Group

Queen’s University Mental Health Nursing Placements

Hi, Im hoping to apply for a place on a Mental Health Nursing degree. I’m in the South West so applying to Magee and would like to also apply to Queen’s. However, I’ve been told all Queen’s placements are around Belfast. As a mature student I would be traveling rather than staying at Uni. Could anyone confirm if this is true? Thanks for any advice.
Reply 1
Original post by 23Cherry
Hi, Im hoping to apply for a place on a Mental Health Nursing degree. I’m in the South West so applying to Magee and would like to also apply to Queen’s. However, I’ve been told all Queen’s placements are around Belfast. As a mature student I would be traveling rather than staying at Uni. Could anyone confirm if this is true? Thanks for any advice.

Yes. They’re zoned. Belfast gets the Belfast/east placements and Magee gets the north/west/south placements. I’m only applying to Magee as I couldn’t travel to Belfast for placements as well as uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Bear3001
Yes. They’re zoned. Belfast gets the Belfast/east placements and Magee gets the north/west/south placements. I’m only applying to Magee as I couldn’t travel to Belfast for placements as well as uni.

Thanks for your reply, that‘s what I was thinking. Did you join the Magee Nursing webinar the other night?
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply, that‘s what I was thinking. Did you join the Magee Nursing webinar the other night?

I did but had to keep leaving it so I’m patiently waiting for them to upload it so I can watch it properly. I did the one in September though and it was great. I’m excited to apply but the personal statement is killing me!

What about you?
Reply 4
I did but had to keep leaving it so I’m patiently waiting for them to upload it so I can watch it properly. I did the one in September though and it was great. I’m excited to apply but the personal statement is killing me!

What about you?

I just have to finish final draft. Looks like interviews are video format. I think if we get interview we are sent questions a few days in advance and send video back. There are 80 something spaces for Mental Health Nursing this year.
Reply 5
I just have to finish final draft. Looks like interviews are video format. I think if we get interview we are sent questions a few days in advance and send video back. There are 80 something spaces for Mental Health Nursing this year.

Have they announced the cohort sizes? I thought they’d said they didn’t have final numbers but it wouldn’t be below last years. I hope there’s a bigger intake this year, more chance of getting in!

I’m unsure how I feel about video interviews when there’s no one asking you the questions/to bounce off. It’ll be strange! I’m approaching my final draft but it’s taken so much to even get to this stage. I’m about 1000 characters over too 😬😬 sending it to my tutor this week for feedback so hopefully that helps.
Reply 6
Have they announced the cohort sizes? I thought they’d said they didn’t have final numbers but it wouldn’t be below last years. I hope there’s a bigger intake this year, more chance of getting in!

I’m unsure how I feel about video interviews when there’s no one asking you the questions/to bounce off. It’ll be strange! I’m approaching my final draft but it’s taken so much to even get to this stage. I’m about 1000 characters over too 😬😬 sending it to my tutor this week for feedback so hopefully that helps.

84 places for MH. I hoping to have my ps sent off next week. So nervous about the whole process but I also think I would have preferred face to face interviews eek!
Reply 7
Fingers crossed for us both! I’m applying for adult nursing only but both cohorts come together for some modules. I want to be in public health nursing eventually.

I’m a ‘mature’ student so really need to get in first cycle 😬
Reply 8
Fingers crossed for us both! I’m applying for adult nursing only but both cohorts come together for some modules. I want to be in public health nursing eventually.

I’m a ‘mature’ student so really need to get in first cycle 😬

Mature student also. I think there are 343 places for Adult. Im doing an access course. Yes hopefully we’ll both get a place!
Reply 9
I’m doing an access course too, it’s been tough during lockdown 🤦🏻*♀️ Do you work in care at the minute?
Reply 10
I’m doing an access course too, it’s been tough during lockdown 🤦🏻*♀️ Do you work in care at the minute?

Just finished my contract as a youth worker, previously worked as a mental health support worker.
Reply 11
Hi I just applied for MH nursing through queen's and magee. Reading previous threads it feels like interviews are really difficult. Has anyone heard what format they will be in?
I'm also a mature student!
Original post by Elja
Hi I just applied for MH nursing through queen's and magee. Reading previous threads it feels like interviews are really difficult. Has anyone heard what format they will be in?
I'm also a mature student!

Magee will be sending questions out and you get 24 hours to record your answers and submit. Unsure about queens.
Reply 13
Magee will be sending questions out and you get 24 hours to record your answers and submit. Unsure about queens

I can't wrap my head around how they will score that.. not complaining tho
Reply 14
Original post by Elja
I can't wrap my head around how they will score that.. not complaining tho

I received my confirmation from Magee today about my application. From reading the email it sounded like personal statements are read first
I received my confirmation from Magee today about my application. From reading the email it sounded like personal statements are read first

They 100% said that they are inviting everyone to interview who will meet the entrance criteria.
I’ve seen something that says that queens are doing the same.

What did the email say though? I haven’t got mine yet.
Reply 16

Sorry does that mean you received an interview ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending