The Student Room Group

Being name shamed and called 'autistic'

Recently my teachers have name shamed me and said very directly that I am autistic and that I may be on the autism spectrum disorder.

I asked them could they give me examples?

They said that I am a 'perfectionist' and am rude to teachers (when I am not).

I challeneged them write then and there and said that to an extenet everyone is a 'perfectionist' in some point of their life and in their academic career. I do admit that I check my homework exam question answers to see whether i am on the right track, before submitting it in class, but that does not mean that I look at the answers totally when doing any homework or test.

And as far as they claim i have been rude to teachers, i have not. I have always been very communicative with teachers and it is the teachers fault that they can even understand a simple sentence to what i am saying, when i have said to them very clearly and politely about something related with the subject and UCAS.

I am being verbally bullied like this and this is one kind of labelling that they are doing.

They say that I am autistic all the time whenever i am talking and having a conversation with them and that i should get tested more, if in case they think i have autism, doesnt get cured when i go to uni.

This level of words and treatment to someone who is not at all autistic is being said and all the time they are labelling me with this words.

Surely, everyone is a perfectionist in some point of their academic career for their own academic career benefits in long run?

I dont really understand now what to do.

I have kept my calm so far.

And you know the best part is that they have this unconscious bias towards me that whatever i do something good with best intentions in class tests and homework, i am a perfecctionist and a cheater.

They have made up their mind and wont change my UCAS Predicted Grades,especially for Maths and Chemistry.

I have been extremely calm and composed with this whole situation but now I am really starting to lose my patience over this.

It is like they are on a mission to prove that I am definitely autistic, to a non autistic person.

Please help me anyone.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Exactly!

When i am already working in my problems and sorting and fixing them already, there is no need to be labelled like this way.

How would they likd it if i said to them that they are exteemely rude and autistic?

They wont tolerate it at all.

So same applies here.

I have complained so many times abiut this whole situation and they fail to admit their mistakes and even say sorry.

Instead, they interpret my words and langauge as even more rude and aggressive.

This whole situation that is being created is all due to the Head of Sixth Form- who is absolutely good for nothing soul.
Reply 2
I am a very patient and calm person and resilient person when faced with challenges.

But this sitaution is driving me crazy now.

I give people chance to change, but if he situation escalates further, i blast off.
You're not a perfectionist when you say 'I challeneged them write then and there...' use this as evidence.

On a serious note they cannot diagnose you either but advise you this may be good intentioned. To 'name shame' you is not right either, regardless if you are rude or not. Don't be offended by the word, but the fact they have name shamed you, they might not have meant to intentionally. Peopl are different and they could have a tunnel vision approach to how they see you and this is wrong also.
Report them to the headteachers office get them in trouble!
Report them- they are not supposed to label students like that :naughty:
Reply 6
My parents have complained several times about this and miscommunciation coming from teachers.

They constantly fail to admit their mistake and wont even say sorry.

It is not that simple to complain about them because they have got proof of evidence more than me.
Reply 7
Original post by Aminah T
Report them- they are not supposed to label students like that :naughty:

Yeah i should.

And i have but all has failed.

The most interesting thing is that the head of sixth form asked me to sign 2 pieces of sheets of paper of the document of the conversation i had with her (which was absolutely unncessary and stupid , i reckon) and didnt even give me a copy of the conversation document.

They are plotting a strong case against me that is for sure.
Reply 8
I cant at this stage.

I am in Year 13 and the presenet circumstances forced me to continue at my current school.
Original post by Anonymous
Recently my teachers have name shamed me and said very directly that I am autistic and that I may be on the autism spectrum disorder.

I asked them could they give me examples?

They said that I am a 'perfectionist' and am rude to teachers (when I am not).

I challeneged them write then and there and said that to an extenet everyone is a 'perfectionist' in some point of their life and in their academic career. I do admit that I check my homework exam question answers to see whether i am on the right track, before submitting it in class, but that does not mean that I look at the answers totally when doing any homework or test.

And as far as they claim i have been rude to teachers, i have not. I have always been very communicative with teachers and it is the teachers fault that they can even understand a simple sentence to what i am saying, when i have said to them very clearly and politely about something related with the subject and UCAS.

I am being verbally bullied like this and this is one kind of labelling that they are doing.

They say that I am autistic all the time whenever i am talking and having a conversation with them and that i should get tested more, if in case they think i have autism, doesnt get cured when i go to uni.

This level of words and treatment to someone who is not at all autistic is being said and all the time they are labelling me with this words.

Surely, everyone is a perfectionist in some point of their academic career for their own academic career benefits in long run?

I dont really understand now what to do.

I have kept my calm so far.

And you know the best part is that they have this unconscious bias towards me that whatever i do something good with best intentions in class tests and homework, i am a perfecctionist and a cheater.

They have made up their mind and wont change my UCAS Predicted Grades,especially for Maths and Chemistry.

I have been extremely calm and composed with this whole situation but now I am really starting to lose my patience over this.

It is like they are on a mission to prove that I am definitely autistic, to a non autistic person.

Please help me anyone.

I am autistic and I can guarantee you that perfectionism is not a symptom. I guess most people are perfectionists at some point. I think you should ignore them and if it continues then report it. Try to confront the teachers if possible.
Yeah i should.

And i have but all has failed.

The most interesting thing is that the head of sixth form asked me to sign 2 pieces of sheets of paper of the document of the conversation i had with her (which was absolutely unncessary and stupid , i reckon) and didnt even give me a copy of the conversation document.

You should have asked the head of the sixth form for a copy of the document.

Spoiler

I cant at this stage.

I am in Year 13 and the presenet circumstances forced me to continue at my current school.

Sorry to be rude but I struggle to imagine teachers are openly saying in front of your classmates that you are disabled and that this has somehow impacted your predicted grades. Perhaps it could be a language barrier causing miscommunication? that may be a stretch.
Original post by Chillman1
Sorry to be rude but I struggle to imagine teachers are openly saying in front of your classmates that you are disabled and that this has somehow impacted your predicted grades. Perhaps it could be a language barrier causing miscommunication? that may be a stretch.

No it isnt. I have always coomunicated things properly to each teacher sbout the subject/problems facing an exam question/ UCAS predicted grades and application related thing.

It is not my fault u see here
No it isnt. I have always coomunicated things properly to each teacher sbout the subject/problems facing an exam question/ UCAS predicted grades and application related thing.

It is not my fault u see here

Then id suggest getting a parent involved. In regards to predicted grades, if you think you deserve As/A*s, you need to be consistently getting those grades in all essays and mocks, if you are doing so and they refuse to predict you them, ask why. If they don't give a valid reason, once again, get parents involved. I hope this helps :wink:
Reply 14
What kind of school do you go to? Does it have a Board of Governors?
Original post by Kerzen
What kind of school do you go to? Does it have a Board of Governors?

All girls Independent Private School
Exactly, thats what i am feeling right now!

Its a shame really, because my parents are paying them the fees and their monthyl salary and this quality of treatment and service is being given from a top all girls independent priavte school in Surrey.

They (Head of Sixth Form, Head of Learning Support and the Head of Maths) really should be fired from their job.

Their attitude and behaviour towards this situation is unacceptable.
You're so certain that you're not autistic in the face of multiple professionals saying you are, so I assume you have been to doctors about it and been thoroughly assessed. So just show they that you've been tested and are not autistic... not sure what's hard about this...

If you aren't autistic, something else is definitely wrong. You should not be fighting with professional people who are literally paid to help you.
Reply 18
All girls Independent Private School

In that case, there will be a Board of Governors.

I was wondering whether your parents could write to the Governors.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
You're so certain that you're not autistic in the face of multiple professionals saying you are, so I assume you have been to doctors about it and been thoroughly assessed. So just show they that you've been tested and are not autistic... not sure what's hard about this...

If you aren't autistic, something else is definitely wrong. You should not be fighting with professional people who are literally paid to help you.

I was not fighting with them.

They are wrongly accusing me and all the time labelling me with these words when in actual reality i dont display any sort of autistic behaviour symptoms at all.

As far as with the way you said that 'you shouldnt fight with professional people who are paying to help you', i was not fighting with them at all.

If your being wrongly accused of something by 2 people /teachers and other teachers dont notice that and have no problem with that, and with the cinstant labelling and verbal bullying of words like this, then I am afraid I am definitely going to raise the hats.

Anyone would do the same, in my postion!

Quick Reply