The Student Room Group

Lancaster uni vs Leicester uni

I can’t decide which to put as a choice on my ucas don’t anyone can tell the pros and cons of each
Hoping to study politics
Lancaster is much better in terms of quality of teaching etc., and it is ranked Top 10 whereas Leicester is ~30. I went to open days for both, and despised Leicester because of not only the grim buildings, but the lecturers, who didn't seem very passionate about their subjects. Lancaster was the opposite - the lecturers were engaging and personable. Campus is also nicer (Leicester has a graveyard which is a bit eh). Plus the vibe at Lancaster was much more studious.

It's up to you, but if you're going to take uni VERY seriously, and want to go to a prestigious uni, then I'd certainly suggest Lancaster.
Reply 2
Original post by litstudent30
Lancaster is much better in terms of quality of teaching etc., and it is ranked Top 10 whereas Leicester is ~30. I went to open days for both, and despised Leicester because of not only the grim buildings, but the lecturers, who didn't seem very passionate about their subjects. Lancaster was the opposite - the lecturers were engaging and personable. Campus is also nicer (Leicester has a graveyard which is a bit eh). Plus the vibe at Lancaster was much more studious.

It's up to you, but if you're going to take uni VERY seriously, and want to go to a prestigious uni, then I'd certainly suggest Lancaster.

This is so helpful thanks for the advice
Original post by shairox
I can’t decide which to put as a choice on my ucas don’t anyone can tell the pros and cons of each
Hoping to study politics

Hi i'm a mum of a daughter who went to both Lancaster and also Leicester open days in 2019. I can tell you from both of our point of view at the time of visiting. (this was for physics courses)

Leicester accommodation compared to Lancasters. Lancaster is a clear winner here. There is Oadby student village in Leicester which is nice but some of the rooms were a bit dated and are 40 mins walk away / 15 mins on the bus. The city accommodation was much better. Lancasters is a lot better quality and its collegiate, each having its own bar, junior common room. Lancaster from a security point of view is better too, with porters/security.
Leicester nightlife compared to lancaster, Leicester has a club on site and busier city with good night life, Lancaster still has night life, its got a lot of bars and couple of clubs.
Library, Lancasters is far more bigger then Leicesters, and Lancasters got more eateries on campus too.

My daughter chose Lancaster and she is going into her 4th week there. Loves it. Her teaching she loves, her flat of 11 are great. Her freshers week, the college put on a full packed week all covid friendly. Lancaster is a good choice, and buses run to morecambe too. 2 buses will get you to the lakes.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6562744 thats a blog i did on here with pics. of both unis
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending