The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

De Montfort University Game Art (2021-2022)

Hi everyone, I decided to make this thread for those interested in studying Game Art at DMU for the entry year 2021.

As for topics of discussion, course queries, help with personal statements, portfolio guidance, as well as sharing each other’s portfolio work are all things that come to mind. I guess this is also a good way of getting to know the people looking to apply before starting the course. Looking forward to meeting you all!

I’ll include the links to the Game Art threads from the last two years:

(2019-2020) - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5670522

(2020-2021) - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6200190

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey first of all thanks for making the thread. So I don't know whether this is the right place to ask, but where should I go as a student starting this year? I was thinking it would be nice to get to chat to other people in the course.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Hmm, not sure about threads/discussions directly related to Game Art for the year you’re starting but DMU have a Facebook group for 2020 applicants in general. For some reason I can’t include the link but hopefully you have some luck getting in contact with those doing the same course as you.
Reply 3
hey thats my thread! :0
hi! i'm last years thread starter and i'm now in my first year :smile: if anyone wants any portfolio tips or has any questions about the course let me know!
Reply 4
Original post by aspalax
hey thats my thread! :0
hi! i'm last years thread starter and i'm now in my first year :smile: if anyone wants any portfolio tips or has any questions about the course let me know!

Hi there! Yeah, I included the threads from the last two years as reference - glad to hear you got accepted onto the course though. :smile:

Thanks for being willing to offer advice and guidance for the course. I do have some things to ask regarding the portfolio but I’m firstly curious to know how you’re finding Game Art so far and if it’s being taught face-to-face or online. Hopefully it’s not been too hard to adjust given the circumstances.
Reply 5
Original post by Levszen
Hi there! Yeah, I included the threads from the last two years as reference - glad to hear you got accepted onto the course though. :smile:

Thanks for being willing to offer advice and guidance for the course. I do have some things to ask regarding the portfolio but I’m firstly curious to know how you’re finding Game Art so far and if it’s being taught face-to-face or online. Hopefully it’s not been too hard to adjust given the circumstances.

Thank you! I had my interview just before we went into lockdown, I know not everyone had the opportunity to even attend interview at all.

The course has been good so far! I came in with virtually no 3D experience and it's definitely been a learning curve but everything has video tutorials and step-by-step documents, so even if you're a total beginner try not to panic! We're currently in blended learning, so the majority of our course is being taught online with a lot of independent work required, but we're still able to go in to use labs and have face-to-face sessions three times a fortnight (one for each module). Everyone's been adapting, but there's been a lot of progress from the staff team- photoshop & 3DS Max have been available to download onto personal laptops/computers, we've been setting up still lives to work from in our dorms, and there's been lots of video tutorials to work through independently.

I hope that's reassuring!
Reply 6
Original post by aspalax
Thank you! I had my interview just before we went into lockdown, I know not everyone had the opportunity to even attend interview at all.

The course has been good so far! I came in with virtually no 3D experience and it's definitely been a learning curve but everything has video tutorials and step-by-step documents, so even if you're a total beginner try not to panic! We're currently in blended learning, so the majority of our course is being taught online with a lot of independent work required, but we're still able to go in to use labs and have face-to-face sessions three times a fortnight (one for each module). Everyone's been adapting, but there's been a lot of progress from the staff team- photoshop & 3DS Max have been available to download onto personal laptops/computers, we've been setting up still lives to work from in our dorms, and there's been lots of video tutorials to work through independently.

I hope that's reassuring!

Got you. See, I enquired about interviews for this year and they said that they’d be doing it via Zoom or Microsoft Teams. I suppose the stuff they’ll ask at the interview will be the same as other years but I’m not sure how it will work in terms of them viewing physical portfolios. I’ve got one or two sketchbooks that, under other circumstances, I would have brought in for them to look at, but now will I have to submit each page individually? It’s all so bizarre.

That’s great to hear! I’d like to believe that the majority of applicants haven’t had experience with 3D modelling so to know that you’ve got a good support network and useful resources to work from outside of the studio is definitely reassuring. It sounds like the blended learning approach is working out for you so that’s a good thing, though I feel bad for those third years who were meant to have their work placement this year. The year abroad is something I’m really interested in so hopefully this whole COVID frenzy doesn’t interfere with that and ends soon, for everyone’s sake.

Either way, thank you for responding :smile: It’s good to know that the staff have found a way around this mess and tried to make things easier for you. If I may ask about the digital portfolio submission, do you remember the timeframe between which you had to send your work? My school’s urging me to get my UCAS stuff and personal statement finished by early November, but my portfolio won’t be complete until mid-December, I’m guessing. So would I have to send off my UCAS application only once my portfolio is ready or do they give you time to upload your portfolio after your UCAS stuff has been sent off? Sorry if you aren’t even be able to answer these questions. Just as a final question, is the digital portfolio actually meant to comprise of 8-10 pieces of work? I ask this because I know they have changed the requirements over the years so given that you were the last year to go through this process, I’d hope this to be the same for this year’s applicants.

Sorry for how long this was but thanks once again!
Reply 7
Man, that sounds rough. I wouldn't have wanted to do my portfolio online either, I don't envy you guys :/ Hopefully you'll still be able to talk through your work well. All I can really say is make sure you edit your photos so they're as clear as possible. (Teo, the traditional teacher, specifically has an issue with photos of work taken on messy desks haha)

You'd be surprised that there are some people with great 3D skills that come onto the course, it just depends on where your background is. Those of us coming out of art/graphics A-level courses are usually stronger on the 2D end, but those coming out of game design/3D art BTECs are stronger on the 3D end- all depends on what you've been doing. On the whole there's less people that are on the 3D side, just because these courses are less common, but don't be intimidated when there's people already producing textured assets!

I had a look through my emails to figure out the rough timeline from submitting to interview because I remember they gave you 2 weeks from requesting digital portfolio to send it, so for some context:
I submitted my UCAS approx. 10th December, had my digital portfolio request from DMU on the 18th December, and they gave me 2 weeks from that email to submit, which I did on the 30th December. My digital portfolio wasn't my full portfolio and I obviously added to it and didn't show everything that was in it when I went for my formal interview on the 26th of February. I got my offer from DMU on the 2nd of March. I would keep pushing to submit early/mid December personally just because it gives you more time- the 2-week-from-email rule stays the same regardless of when you apply, so it makes sense really. Game Art is quite a competitive course but my interview group was one of the largest because people generally submitted a bit later for this exact reason.

I think we were allowed more pieces than that- I had 11 projects on artstation and I think we were recommended to have between 10-15 pieces (some of which were full pieces with breakdown of workflow, others were groups of work eg. several life drawings) Seems weird to restrict you so much, but i'd try and get around that by grouping sketchbook work and coursework in projects, it'll show your development process and gives you a bit more space to show your work. Here's the link to my submission: https://www.artstation.com/iz_g
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Yeah, although I guess we’ll just have to do it the same way that international students have always done. That’s understandable but I don’t think that would be too much of a problem since I’m quite the perfectionist myself haha. My concern is that they might not be able to see my annotations because, you know, iPhone camera quality, but I don’t consider that to be nearly as important as the artwork itself.

Oh that’s cool. I would’ve expected the vast majority of applicants to have come out art-related A levels/BTECs given how much DMU seems to stress the importance of portfolios and fundamental art skills, but I guess both have an advantage over the other in at least one aspect/module of the course.

Ahh thanks so much for the taking the time out to check that for me! It’s super handy to know about this 2 week rule as I can probably get an idea of when’s the best time to submit my UCAS - the sooner the better, of course. At the moment, I’m just shy of 4 complete portfolio pieces so I’m pretty much halfway there, but I do still need to practise on my tablet so that I can include a decent digital piece... Hmm, they’re not making it clear what they want exactly but I guess I’ll be safe with 10 pieces?? Even so, I’ll enquire with them just to be safe. And that’s the other thing! What do they actually mean by pieces? If I take your ArtStation as an example, which has really beautiful stuff btw, your ‘Drawings from Durham’ post is a single post, but it has three different pieces within it. So would that count as one or three? Like, I’m currently working on some A2 mixed media studies of trolls, three studies to be precise, so the problem’s the same. Will the series be counted as three individual pieces or does it not work like that? That’s what sort of confused me when I saw that you could submit pieces via PDF files or links to websites, because surely if I sent each as PDFs, they’d be considered as separate. Sorry for the ramble. But your advice about including pages from my sketchbook that lead onto my portfolio work to show development is actually helpful so I’ll definitely do that!
Does anyone have any advice for a portfolio alongside examples? I want to get started on my portfolio because my foundation course isn't being remotely helpful :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by RukiaStudies
Does anyone have any advice for a portfolio alongside examples? I want to get started on my portfolio because my foundation course isn't being remotely helpful :frown:

I’m not the best person for advice because I’m also hoping to start next year but check out this link which has portfolio guidance specifically for Game Art applicants:

https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/portfolio/game-art.aspx

You’ll see that they split the portfolio requirements into traditional drawing, digital work and sketchbooks. There are examples of student’s work for each one. They say digital stuff isn’t mandatory but I’d encourage you to include that anyway as I suppose it shows your familiarity with the medium. You can read through it all but the important stuff is to not copy from photographs, try not to include fan art, draw observationally where possible and they want quality over quantity, so don’t rush your pieces. There will obviously be an opportunity for you to work more loosely, such as when you’re doing life drawing, which is pretty important, (although the only real way you can do that now is if you watch online life classes) but you also need to demonstrate that you can work with a variety of media, not just pencil for example. I can show you the few things I’ve done if you find it helps??? But aspalax would know more about this than me.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Levszen
Yeah, although I guess we’ll just have to do it the same way that international students have always done. That’s understandable but I don’t think that would be too much of a problem since I’m quite the perfectionist myself haha. My concern is that they might not be able to see my annotations because, you know, iPhone camera quality, but I don’t consider that to be nearly as important as the artwork itself.

Oh that’s cool. I would’ve expected the vast majority of applicants to have come out art-related A levels/BTECs given how much DMU seems to stress the importance of portfolios and fundamental art skills, but I guess both have an advantage over the other in at least one aspect/module of the course.

Ahh thanks so much for the taking the time out to check that for me! It’s super handy to know about this 2 week rule as I can probably get an idea of when’s the best time to submit my UCAS - the sooner the better, of course. At the moment, I’m just shy of 4 complete portfolio pieces so I’m pretty much halfway there, but I do still need to practise on my tablet so that I can include a decent digital piece... Hmm, they’re not making it clear what they want exactly but I guess I’ll be safe with 10 pieces?? Even so, I’ll enquire with them just to be safe. And that’s the other thing! What do they actually mean by pieces? If I take your ArtStation as an example, which has really beautiful stuff btw, your ‘Drawings from Durham’ post is a single post, but it has three different pieces within it. So would that count as one or three? Like, I’m currently working on some A2 mixed media studies of trolls, three studies to be precise, so the problem’s the same. Will the series be counted as three individual pieces or does it not work like that? That’s what sort of confused me when I saw that you could submit pieces via PDF files or links to websites, because surely if I sent each as PDFs, they’d be considered as separate. Sorry for the ramble. But your advice about including pages from my sketchbook that lead onto my portfolio work to show development is actually helpful so I’ll definitely do that!

Trust me, they aren't reading your annotations- talk them through it as you show them your work, that goes a lot further. I was talking virtually the whole way through my interview, introducing each piece & talking through my process. That's really important- people who sit in silence the majority of their interview generally do fine as long as the quality of their work is strong, but they're much more likely to remember you if you were talkative and enthusiastic about your own work.

Something worth considering is 3D is worth 60 credits, while traditional art is 30 and digital art is 30. You'll have a lot more 3D work overall and often your digital work will supplement it (designing for models, texturing etc).

Original post by RukiaStudies

This is answering @Levszen's query but might be useful to you too: On the whole i'd say if you have a collection of images that are the same theme/same medium/similar timeframe you would be able to consider that one piece. They definitely like seeing your development of pieces so if you have progress images definitely include those too. Even with a PDF, you can have multiple images on a PDF doc. Honestly I'd recommend using artstation to host your portfolio though as this is what you'll use in uni anyway and all the module leaders are very familiar with it, it allows you to include multiple images in projects and caption them, etc.

Yes, you'll need full pieces with progression breakdowns, sketchbook work, and if you have access to producing digital or 3D work then absolutely include it. There are some great tutorials online you can follow to get started on 3D work but if it seems intimidating don't worry too much about it- there are lots of other complete beginners too. I did a project with an origami model in my portfolio which all the unis I visited seemed to really like, showing you can work in 3D space is great, even if it's a traditional medium. Same goes for clay/wood work if you did any of that on your art course- if you've got it, include it.

Observational drawing is the other big one that the trad teachers are looking for. All your trad lessons will be drawing observationally- landscapes, still lives, life models. If you can set up a still life or sit and draw your street, do it. Croquis cafe (on vimeo) is the best resource for life models as they're recorded real-time. They also have a website with hundreds of images of different life models, definitely use it as it's a great resource.

If you look through my follow list on artstation you can probably find some other portfolio examples from people in my year.
Reply 12
That’s good to know, although I am quite behind with my annotations and even though they’re useless, they do add character to a page. I’d say I have quite an established thought process behind my project so as long as my nerves don’t get the best of me, I can’t imagine talking through my work going badly, but thanks for the tip! Also, if I were to submit my application around early/mid-December, would my interview necessarily be in late February/early March? I feel like then would be the ideal time as I fear they’d miss crucial sketchbook work of mine if I was to be interviewed any earlier.

I see... are the number of credits arbitrary or do they reflect how much of the course is dedicated to each module? So the time spent learning/practicing 3D is the same as traditional and digital art combined?

Thanks for clearing that up! Even though it requires more work, it makes more sense like that and yes, I’ll definitely be setting up an ArtStation profile hopefully a month from now. Agreed, I came across some ArtStation portfolio pages on the 2018-19 applicant thread and there were a few good ones to refer to.

That’s right, I had completely forgotten about Croquis Cafe but I’ll be sure to check that out again.
Reply 13
Original post by Levszen
That’s good to know, although I am quite behind with my annotations and even though they’re useless, they do add character to a page. I’d say I have quite an established thought process behind my project so as long as my nerves don’t get the best of me, I can’t imagine talking through my work going badly, but thanks for the tip! Also, if I were to submit my application around early/mid-December, would my interview necessarily be in late February/early March? I feel like then would be the ideal time as I fear they’d miss crucial sketchbook work of mine if I was to be interviewed any earlier.

I see... are the number of credits arbitrary or do they reflect how much of the course is dedicated to each module? So the time spent learning/practicing 3D is the same as traditional and digital art combined?

Thanks for clearing that up! Even though it requires more work, it makes more sense like that and yes, I’ll definitely be setting up an ArtStation profile hopefully a month from now. Agreed, I came across some ArtStation portfolio pages on the 2018-19 applicant thread and there were a few good ones to refer to.

That’s right, I had completely forgotten about Croquis Cafe but I’ll be sure to check that out again.

There's no guarantee when your interview will be, but for me they gave me several options in february/march/april. Luckily I picked the soonest one, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go. I know not everyone got options though, sometimes you just get the date you're given. There's no guarantee because there's usually a significant delay to them receiving your digital portfolio & getting an interview invite. If I were you I'd still aim to submit early/mid December just so you aren't rushing to complete your portfolio.

The credits dictate your overall grade for the year- if you don't get enough credits in first year, you'll have to retake in order to transfer to second year. Yes, 3D is as valuable as digital and traditional combined, it's definitely a 3D course.

Yeah, I think there's a few 2nd years that still have some of their entry portfolio stuff up :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by aspalax
There's no guarantee when your interview will be, but for me they gave me several options in february/march/april. Luckily I picked the soonest one, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go. I know not everyone got options though, sometimes you just get the date you're given. There's no guarantee because there's usually a significant delay to them receiving your digital portfolio & getting an interview invite. If I were you I'd still aim to submit early/mid December just so you aren't rushing to complete your portfolio.

The credits dictate your overall grade for the year- if you don't get enough credits in first year, you'll have to retake in order to transfer to second year. Yes, 3D is as valuable as digital and traditional combined, it's definitely a 3D course.

Yeah, I think there's a few 2nd years that still have some of their entry portfolio stuff up :smile:

I see, hopefully they will give us the option to choose when we’d like our interviews. So, with the people who didn’t have the chance to be interviewed physically, did they have to do theirs online or did the admissions team just consider other parts of their application? But yes, I’m definitely aiming for that date!

Also, when you say you got your offer on the 2nd of March, was it conditional or unconditional? The UCAS coordinator at my school said that since COVID, universities are trying not to give out unconditional offers but she also said that with a course like Game Art, female applicants were more likely to get an unconditional because it’s a male-dominated industry. Though, despite the fact that I’m a guy, I’m hoping that the combination of my predicted grades being a lot higher than what the course requires, having a good portfolio and a successful interview (when it gets to that point haha) is enough to qualify for an unconditional. I mean, it’s not like it’s essential but it would ease a lot of pressure when it comes to exams if I was guaranteed a place. But with the whole ‘trying to attain a gender balance’ when admitting people into the course, from your experience, have you found the male to female ratio to be 50/50?

Aside from that, sorry for bombarding you with questions over the last week but you’ve really been a great help and cleared up a lot of doubts so thanks for that!
Reply 15
Original post by Levszen
I see, hopefully they will give us the option to choose when we’d like our interviews. So, with the people who didn’t have the chance to be interviewed physically, did they have to do theirs online or did the admissions team just consider other parts of their application? But yes, I’m definitely aiming for that date!

Also, when you say you got your offer on the 2nd of March, was it conditional or unconditional? The UCAS coordinator at my school said that since COVID, universities are trying not to give out unconditional offers but she also said that with a course like Game Art, female applicants were more likely to get an unconditional because it’s a male-dominated industry. Though, despite the fact that I’m a guy, I’m hoping that the combination of my predicted grades being a lot higher than what the course requires, having a good portfolio and a successful interview (when it gets to that point haha) is enough to qualify for an unconditional. I mean, it’s not like it’s essential but it would ease a lot of pressure when it comes to exams if I was guaranteed a place. But with the whole ‘trying to attain a gender balance’ when admitting people into the course, from your experience, have you found the male to female ratio to be 50/50?

Aside from that, sorry for bombarding you with questions over the last week but you’ve really been a great help and cleared up a lot of doubts so thanks for that!

The people who weren't interviewed physically weren't interviewed at all as far as I'm aware, they were just given offers based off digital portfolios but by that point, universities were unable to give out unconditionals anymore.

I got an unconditional yes, but DMU quite commonly change offers later down the line, or offer conditionals with uncon if firmed, so even if you don't get an unconditional straight out of interview it doesn't rule you out of one. Two people I know had their offers changed to uncons within days of results day.

As for the gender balance, I haven't heard much about that when it comes to Game Art- because it's an art course it attracts more female applicants anyway so I don't think it's really an issue. Maybe if you were applying for Games Programming/Design there would be more truth in it, but Game Art probably has more female than male students anyway (although not by much- i'd guess it was a 55/45 split or similar). That being said, I don't know who else got unconditionals but I am female haha. The main issue with gender imbalance in the art sector of the games industry is that the games industry was a lot less open to women 5/10 years ago so most senior positions are occupied by men purely because they have more industry experience- not much you can do about that though.

It's no problem! It's nice to feel helpful :smile: I was put into contact with a current year 1 student through a mutual friend while I was doing my application who I asked many similar questions to so I wanted to pay the favour back! Let me know how your application process goes, I'm happy to give crit on portfolios/answer any questions about interviews later down the line too.
Hi, im looking to apply to the course soon, but im also panicking about the portfolio. I am currently trying to get enough work to fill my portfolio, as due to covid I missed a good few months of my art A level course. Im scared I wont have enough pieces to show in time, so do you have any tips of what type of work to include so I can plan my time well? I currently have a few smaller life drawings that im planning on putting together as one piece, and a quite a few observational pieces that I can use. Is it worth attempting some digital work that I can include? im not very experienced with it however I would be able to give it a good shot I think. Additionally, I have a project for my computer science A level where I will need to create a character for, so do you think I could include this in my portfolio by showing the development of the character? If theres anything specific you think they would be looking for please let me know! Thank you
Reply 17
Original post by aspalax
The people who weren't interviewed physically weren't interviewed at all as far as I'm aware, they were just given offers based off digital portfolios but by that point, universities were unable to give out unconditionals anymore.

I got an unconditional yes, but DMU quite commonly change offers later down the line, or offer conditionals with uncon if firmed, so even if you don't get an unconditional straight out of interview it doesn't rule you out of one. Two people I know had their offers changed to uncons within days of results day.

As for the gender balance, I haven't heard much about that when it comes to Game Art- because it's an art course it attracts more female applicants anyway so I don't think it's really an issue. Maybe if you were applying for Games Programming/Design there would be more truth in it, but Game Art probably has more female than male students anyway (although not by much- i'd guess it was a 55/45 split or similar). That being said, I don't know who else got unconditionals but I am female haha. The main issue with gender imbalance in the art sector of the games industry is that the games industry was a lot less open to women 5/10 years ago so most senior positions are occupied by men purely because they have more industry experience- not much you can do about that though.

It's no problem! It's nice to feel helpful :smile: I was put into contact with a current year 1 student through a mutual friend while I was doing my application who I asked many similar questions to so I wanted to pay the favour back! Let me know how your application process goes, I'm happy to give crit on portfolios/answer any questions about interviews later down the line too.

That’s useful to know. It’s the first time I’ve heard of a conditional with uncon if firm but I couldn’t complain if I get that offer from DMU.

That’s the thing. I told the coordinator that I’d have imagined it to be an even split for guys and girls but I guess it links back to what you said earlier on. I assume the female applicants generally come out of Art/Graphics A-Level whereas those who’ve done more computer-oriented courses tend to be males. And yep, exactly. There’s definitely an increasing contingent of females applying for Game Art and courses of that sort, and strangely for these courses, employment after your final year is a near-guarantee so hopefully this will swiftly tackle that issue.

Haha, this might just be the fate of each year’s thread starter - to help that of the following year. Of course, I’ll probably set up an ArtStation profile in a month’s time, hopefully when I’ve got enough pieces of work to apply with, so hearing any feedback from you or whoever else would be super helpful!
Reply 18
Original post by Ceryliaa
Hi, im looking to apply to the course soon, but im also panicking about the portfolio. I am currently trying to get enough work to fill my portfolio, as due to covid I missed a good few months of my art A level course. Im scared I wont have enough pieces to show in time, so do you have any tips of what type of work to include so I can plan my time well? I currently have a few smaller life drawings that im planning on putting together as one piece, and a quite a few observational pieces that I can use. Is it worth attempting some digital work that I can include? im not very experienced with it however I would be able to give it a good shot I think. Additionally, I have a project for my computer science A level where I will need to create a character for, so do you think I could include this in my portfolio by showing the development of the character? If theres anything specific you think they would be looking for please let me know! Thank you

Hi there. In regards to Covid, we’re all in the same boat so don’t feel like you’re at more of a disadvantage than another applicant :smile: I emailed DMU the other week specifically about the number of pieces you’ll need in your portfolio and I mentioned that it says 8 to 10 pieces on the university’s portfolio guidance PDF. They got back to me and said that this number should be used as a guide and that it doesn’t matter if you’ve got one or two pieces above or below what’s recommended, but if you were to ask me, I’d say try to get in 8, just to be safe. Plus, they say they’re looking for quality over quantity. In terms of what to include, I can tell you the sort of things I’ve done/plan to do if that helps you get a better idea of what you should have:

Set of life drawings A3 pencil response to artist from A Level project A2 Pointillism drawing Nature studies (pencil, biro, watercolour) Oil portrait painting (because I hate acrylic) Small, loose figure drawings Digital portrait drawings A2 Experimental troll studies (ink, watercolour, pencil) Resin cast sword

As you’ll want to get in as many pieces as possible within this timeframe, you shouldn’t be afraid of being a bit loose with your work. Now that’s not to say be ‘abstract’ because the subject matter of a course like Game Art will always be (1) characters/animals/monsters, (2) environments/landscapes/buildings and (3) vehicles/weapons/other miscellaneous objects. So instead of arbitrarily splattering paint onto a wall, you could paint with quink and bleach, include quick sketches that are to develop into a bigger piece, have charcoal/pastel drawings or loose thread drawings (see Andrea Cryer). If you’ve done any 3D, be it wood-carving, ceramics, resin or something else, you should definitely include it and remember to take lots of pictures from different angles.

DMU lists digital drawings as desirable, not essential, but seeing as the course will be 25% digital work, it would be ideal to include some. I’m in the same situation as you regarding digital but if you can, try to dedicate every Friday evening or something like that to practising digital stuff and maybe do a portrait of your friends once you feel comfortable. As for your Computer Science project, if by create you mean model in 3D, then yes! They like to see idea progression so if you could have some traditional studies of this character after you’ve modelled it, then that’s always a bonus.

If you haven’t already, check out earlier posts on this thread where we’ve discussed this and you’ll also find that @aspalax has included a link to her ArtStation which not has the portfolio she applied with, but if you check out her followings, those will be profiles of other DMU Game Art students, also complete with their portfolios.

Once again, there are better people to ask about this than me, but hopefully my understanding of this whole procedure is enough to help you even just a little. If you’ve got any other doubts or concerns about this whole thing, don’t hesitate to ask, and once it’s finished, I’d love to see your portfolio!
Reply 19
Original post by Ceryliaa

I wouldn't worry too much about not having as much coursework- out of all my portfolio pieces only 2 of them were related to my coursework and were my final outcomes from my art and graphics personal investigations. I dedicated a lot of time externally to portfolio work because they're often looking for different stuff to what you'd need for an A level course. Life drawings are great, but if you can work on a larger scale (a3) those are generally better- I had 2 long studies and 2 short studies on a3 and then some drawings of statues from a local gallery in a4. If you don't have access to life models drawing statues is a great way to get around it- if you can get to a museum/gallery absolutely go because on the whole they prefer you to draw from life than from photographs. Still life studies are also good for this- I've already done tons of still life in trad class and it's one of the main things Teo, the trad art teacher, looks for. Set up a basic still life with a glass, mug, can, plant, fruit - whatever you've got- and do some short and long studies of it from some different angles. Environment drawings also work- in my portfolio I had some pencil drawings of buildings from when I was visiting Durham and a watercolour of the kitchen in my mum's old flat. Learning how to draw on-site is also useful because you'll also be expected to do that on the course.

If you have access to being able to do digital art (graphics tablet for digital 2d or a decent laptop/computer that can run 3d software like blender) then absolutely do. Learning how to use digital software is really important as it's quite full on from day 1 in terms of photoshop skills. Autodesk sketchbook and firealpaca are both free digital software that have (roughly) similar basic functions to photoshop so it's a good place to start (or just download a cracked copy of photoshop- I have a link that I know works if you want it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending