The Student Room Group

Journey to Aerospace Engineering - Grow My Grades for Autumn Resits

So I studied A level physics, maths, and computer science as well as an EPQ for my A-Levels, and I've received my results on Wednesday... I really am disappointed. I got CCD with a C in my EPQ even though, well, I thought the EPQ was pretty good.

I got rejected by my firm (Sheffield) and insurance (Surrey) for BEng Aerospace Engineering.

I've received a guaranteed place from the University of Swansea which is awesome, so I will probably accept it and then defer. This is because I want to retake my A levels (ironic because I never sat them in the first place) and try again.

tbh the grades I got are similar to the ones I got in my mocks so not very good. I consider myself to be decently intelligent, but totally lazy hence why I did so poorly. My plan was to really put in the work and do well in my real exams but , well, that didn't happen. So here I am again, suddenly with less than 2 months to my exams... I feel like it will be difficult because I haven't revised physics or computer science since March at all (although I've been doing a bit of coding through the Harvard CS50x course) I have done a fair bit of maths though.

My dream is to get into a university like the uni of Bristol, or Bath, or Loughborough... maybe even Imperial :biggrin: but that's terribly unlikely.

I hope that I can use this thread to spur me on and keep me motivated. Please feel free to comment on anything/ give any advice etc.
Original post by kayani002
So I studied A level physics, maths, and computer science as well as an EPQ for my A-Levels, and I've received my results on Wednesday... I really am disappointed. I got CCD with a C in my EPQ even though, well, I thought the EPQ was pretty good.

I got rejected by my firm (Sheffield) and insurance (Surrey) for BEng Aerospace Engineering.

I've received a guaranteed place from the University of Swansea which is awesome, so I will probably accept it and then defer. This is because I want to retake my A levels (ironic because I never sat them in the first place) and try again.

tbh the grades I got are similar to the ones I got in my mocks so not very good. I consider myself to be decently intelligent, but totally lazy hence why I did so poorly. My plan was to really put in the work and do well in my real exams but , well, that didn't happen. So here I am again, suddenly with less than 2 months to my exams... I feel like it will be difficult because I haven't revised physics or computer science since March at all (although I've been doing a bit of coding through the Harvard CS50x course) I have done a fair bit of maths though.

My dream is to get into a university like the uni of Bristol, or Bath, or Loughborough... maybe even Imperial :biggrin: but that's terribly unlikely.

I hope that I can use this thread to spur me on and keep me motivated. Please feel free to comment on anything/ give any advice etc.

Love your determination :dumbells: Good luck and I look forward to following your journey - you can do this!

Congratulations on your place at Swansea @kayani002 :thumbsup:

If you need help with anything in the meanwhile feel free to message!

Beth
Reply 3
Original post by brainzistheword
Love your determination :dumbells: Good luck and I look forward to following your journey - you can do this!

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Alright, so just an update... I'm currently working through a level maths and physics, mostly maths atm. Currently doing mixed exercises for each topic, but I think this may not be the best idea. As you can see I havent done that much so far, maybe i should just go on to past papers?work.PNG

For physics im really struggling... I tried doing some past papers and honestly, i almost had a breakdown. This is AS past papers btw, not even A-Level yet.

For computer science idk, i think ill just do the exam properly in summer 21.

I plan to call my college to talk about the ridiculous D grade that was my CAG for my EPQ
Holy **** Swansea accepted you with CCD??? That’s a miracle and you should take that offer, because it is ranked 9th in UK for aerospace and nice industrial links. Don’t lose a year.
Also to the Swansea officials, I was retaking A Levels this year, as I got CDD last year, do you think Swansea could’ve accepted me last year with those grades?

Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Congratulations on your place at Swansea @kayani002 :thumbsup:

If you need help with anything in the meanwhile feel free to message!

Beth
Reply 6
Original post by Agzamkrut
Holy **** Swansea accepted you with CCD??? That’s a miracle and you should take that offer, because it is ranked 9th in UK for aerospace and nice industrial links. Don’t lose a year.
Also to the Swansea officials, I was retaking A Levels this year, as I got CDD last year, do you think Swansea could’ve accepted me last year with those grades?

its a great university but idk tbh
its a great university but idk tbh

What exactly don’t you know
Original post by Agzamkrut

Hey @Agzamkrut :hello:

We assess each application on its own merit including the personal statement, any relevant work experience and references, and in some cases we may be able to offer some flexibility regarding academic requirements - so it's difficult for me to say if you could've been accepted last year!

If you were interested in having your suitability for your course of interest assessed, you can drop us an email to [email protected] with your qualifications/CV/some information about yourself and we'll pass it on to our decision making team :smile:

- Mia :smile:
Reply 9

Hello, just an update. I've done all the maths content (the mixed exercises) and have been doing past papers. I'm more confident in maths. Just need to learn stats content !

For Physics... im struggling. I've studied all the content (except astrophysics) but exam questions are so so so damn hard ?!!!

I've been getting consistent C's and B's in physics papers. For maths im doing better.... A's B's.

Honestly am really struggling with physics questions.
Hello, just an update. I've done all the maths content (the mixed exercises) and have been doing past papers. I'm more confident in maths. Just need to learn stats content !

For Physics... im struggling. I've studied all the content (except astrophysics) but exam questions are so so so damn hard ?!!!

I've been getting consistent C's and B's in physics papers. For maths im doing better.... A's B's.

Honestly am really struggling with physics questions.

Keep going - you're doing so well! :h:

Have you been able to pinpoint exactly why you're struggling with the physics questions?
Reply 11
Keep going - you're doing so well! :h:

Have you been able to pinpoint exactly why you're struggling with the physics questions?

Thank you!!

Yes, It was in particular some of the weird numerical mechanics questions. However, I am happy with topics like particles and quantum physics, which is mostly just memorization.
Thank you!!

Yes, It was in particular some of the weird numerical mechanics questions. However, I am happy with topics like particles and quantum physics, which is mostly just memorization.

Hey, sorry it's been a while. How've you been getting on? It's always tricky when it comes to the numerical aspects as the best way to improve is usually to just do more practice - which I know isn't the best advice! Do you have access to lots of past papers/practice questions?
Reply 13
Hey, sorry it's been a while. How've you been getting on? It's always tricky when it comes to the numerical aspects as the best way to improve is usually to just do more practice - which I know isn't the best advice! Do you have access to lots of past papers/practice questions?

Hey there,
it's been going alright! thanks for asking. I done a decent amount of practice on the difficult topics and I think that really helped.
Reply 14
And just like that, my exams are over.

I will kind of miss this period. It's the exam season I never got back in May and June. But also slightly glad its over. Now I'm trying to figure out what on Earth to do during my gap year.

I now lay in anticipation of results day in December. Only about... less than two months left now. I really wanted an A in maths and physics but considering how the exams went, I think I'll be more likely to get B's. But that is still an improvement from my CAG's.
Hey there,
it's been going alright! thanks for asking. I done a decent amount of practice on the difficult topics and I think that really helped.

That's great to hear! Congratulations on finishing your exams :smile:

What will you be up to between now and receiving your results?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending