The Student Room Group

Adult Grants Available

Hello,

I speak on behalf of my mother (51 years of age) who is looking to apply for an Adult Grant as she will soon pursue her Adult Nursing degree in January next year. She and I have looked through the grants available from the gov.uk website as well as UCAS and we've stumbled upon the Parent Learning Allowance. As per both websites, 'You can apply for a Parents’ Learning Allowance if you’re a full-time undergraduate student, or a full-time postgraduate ITT student, and have children who depend on you. This allowance helps with the extra costs associated with being a parent and a student. You don’t need to be paying for childcare to be eligible'.

In her case, she is a single parent with two wards, myself included. Both me and my younger sibling are over the age of 18 and she works full time as a Health Care Assistant to ensure our daily upkeep and it's NOT on benefits whatsoever.

With all that I've said so far, I would like to ask if she's eligible for the Parent Learning Allowance. If so, how do we go about applying for it and what advice would you give to ensure that we have everything required of her filled in the application?

If not, what other grants is she eligible for giving her current circumstance?

On a side note, her employer will release her by the time she starts her degree and will no longer work full time, meaning that she will struggle financially during her time at university and I plead with you if there's any help out there that would at least support my mother with her degree in any way financially, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
She can apply for Parents Learning Allowance at the same time as applying for Student Finance.

From what I’ve read - If you and your sibling are in full-time education (e.g. school or college) she should be eligible. If not, she’ll have to explain why you’re still dependent on her, and they’ll make a case-by-case decision about it. See https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-finance-england/dependants-grants-full-time-students/parents-learning-allowances-full-time-students
Reply 2
Original post by Desideri
She can apply for Parents Learning Allowance at the same time as applying for Student Finance.

From what I’ve read - If you and your sibling are in full-time education (e.g. school or college) she should be eligible. If not, she’ll have to explain why you’re still dependent on her, and they’ll make a case-by-case decision about it. See https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-finance-england/dependants-grants-full-time-students/parents-learning-allowances-full-time-students

Ahh fantastic. Thank you so much for your help.
Reply 3
Original post by egideon247
Ahh fantastic. Thank you so much for your help.

I've attached the form as well, if that helps. As there are areas in the form that asks her to prove that she's on some form of benefits or universal credit, which she receives NEITHER of these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending