The Student Room Group

RAF Fitness Test

Has anyone had their fitness test recently and known the answers to the following, I've searched them on here already but some of the responses are from 12 years so things maybe different.

-Is the order of the tests fixed i.e. treadmill, press ups, sit ups or can you choose?

-Is there a warm up before the test?

- With COVID restrictions are changing rooms open/lockers still open or will you have to carry personal items on your person, i saw an old thread were someone said they were allowed phone/mp3 on treadmill but that seems unlikely.
Original post by jjbbcc
Has anyone had their fitness test recently and known the answers to the following, I've searched them on here already but some of the responses are from 12 years so things maybe different.

-Is the order of the tests fixed i.e. treadmill, press ups, sit ups or can you choose?

- With COVID restrictions are changing rooms open/lockers still open or will you have to carry personal items on your person, i saw an old thread were someone said they were allowed phone/mp3 on treadmill but that seems unlikely.

I think the order is dependant on who does it, I have done a number of tests and the order has varied with who has done it, that doesn't mean that there isn't an order they should be following. Maybe someone can advise.

I've warmed up on my own sometimes and given your question, you'll want to too. Again, sometimes I have been given the time, others I haven't so just be prepared for whatever and warm up when you have an opportunity to.

Can't say on the current changing room status. You won't be allowed your own phone/music device during the test, no.
Reply 2
Original post by jjbbcc

Peronsal experience:

1) Few minutes left alone to warmup while they filled in some small paperwork and put on PPE
2) Run first
3) Couple minute break (Was not timed, we simply walked to the matts and he explained what the rules were then told me to get ready)
3) Situps or pressups (Choose)
4) Shorter break (Explained the rules of the second choice and said to get ready)
5) Situps or pressups (Whatever is left)

I left my belongings in a PT's office near the gym where I had my blood pressure taken, just bringing my water for sips.

Hope this helps, mine was far less stressfull than I expected.
(edited 3 years ago)
Run, press-ups, sit-ups. No warmup. No music.

That’s how it’s done once you’re in so i would train accordingly.
Reply 4
Thanks for the information. I'm going to give the gym a ring to find out about the changing room situation and think I will jog from the train station to warm up.

In terms of the treadmill, are they strict about how far back you run, i don't live that close to a proper gym, so most of my training has been outside but I tried out a treadmill last night and i seemed to naturally run more comfortably on middle to back half of the treadmill. I imagine the Nuffield machines will be much newer and bigger but its made me consider if its worth travelling to the larger town for practice on the gym treadmills to run comfortably close to front.
Original post by jjbbcc
Thanks for the information. I'm going to give the gym a ring to find out about the changing room situation and think I will jog from the train station to warm up.

In terms of the treadmill, are they strict about how far back you run, i don't live that close to a proper gym, so most of my training has been outside but I tried out a treadmill last night and i seemed to naturally run more comfortably on middle to back half of the treadmill. I imagine the Nuffield machines will be much newer and bigger but its made me consider if its worth travelling to the larger town for practice on the gym treadmills to run comfortably close to front.

Hi

Don't overthink it, as long as you pass the requirements then you'll be fine. They'll set the treadmill for you to pass and you just get on with running, how you do that on the treadmill is up to you, you just have to meet the time for the distance.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 6
I have a question on the fitness if you don't mind me hijacking the thread;
Do they allow you to anchor your feet for the sit ups? I can smash the required number with my feed anchored but I'm right on the borderline if not. Either way I have about a month to keep progressing but it would be good to know!
Reply 7
Original post by AshL11
I have a question on the fitness if you don't mind me hijacking the thread;
Do they allow you to anchor your feet for the sit ups? I can smash the required number with my feed anchored but I'm right on the borderline if not. Either way I have about a month to keep progressing but it would be good to know!

Your feet will be held down in one way or another. I was told to put mine under the bottom of a weights machine which worked well enough. Most of the time the PT's stand of the end of your shoes though.
Reply 8
Nice one cheers JT.
Reply 9
Is the towel mandatory to take with you?
Reply 10
Original post by jjbbcc
Is the towel mandatory to take with you?

No. I didn't take a towel. You'll be told in an extended message from the RAF what you do and don't need to bring once it's booked.
Can anyone advise on the current approximate wait time for fitness tests (i.e. how long you waited after medical)? I got medical approval about 2-3 weeks ago but still heard nothing from my AFCO. No rush as I appreciate there's probably a Covid backlog, but just curious as to how long I might have left to prepare! Thanks.
Reply 12
Original post by dannyoboy007
Can anyone advise on the current approximate wait time for fitness tests (i.e. how long you waited after medical)? I got medical approval about 2-3 weeks ago but still heard nothing from my AFCO. No rush as I appreciate there's probably a Covid backlog, but just curious as to how long I might have left to prepare! Thanks.

Wait times have become very varied for people depending on many factors since the application pipeline has been back up and running. The fitness test is also ran through a 3rd party gym call Nuffield, making everyone's wait times different dependant on location also.

I could be wrong but I saw a comment in a previous thread saying you might be able to call your local Nuffield and place the booking yourself, 100% call your AFCO first and check this is allowed before doing this.

For me, I had a call to book my fitness the day after my medical results, they were ready to book me in within that week. So clearly it is massively unpredictable at the moment.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by dannyoboy007

Hi

You'll be advised via your candidate portal when there's a slot available for you. If in doubt, check with your AFCO.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

You'll be advised via your candidate portal when there's a slot available for you. If in doubt, check with your AFCO.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Thanks Adam, will keep checking.

Quick Reply

Latest