The Student Room Group

Biology, geography, sociology A levels

Do biology, geography, and sociology complement each other at A level? What career paths do these subjects open?
Geography complements biology and sociology complements Geography (probably the human side a bit more). For job prospects, I think I depends on what you want to do at university. I’m applying to do geography and I know that it is one of the most employable degrees there is because of the transferable skill set you get from it. I’m looking at law (have to do a law conversion course after your degree) and journalism. I’m sure there are plenty more, but those two are just the ones I’m looking at.
Reply 2
Original post by 14Tanisha
Geography complements biology and sociology complements Geography (probably the human side a bit more). For job prospects, I think I depends on what you want to do at university. I’m applying to do geography and I know that it is one of the most employable degrees there is because of the transferable skill set you get from it. I’m looking at law (have to do a law conversion course after your degree) and journalism. I’m sure there are plenty more, but those two are just the ones I’m looking at.

I’d like to do ecology/zoology in uni if that’s any help :smile:
Original post by floppyfish
I’d like to do ecology/zoology in uni if that’s any help :smile:

I would say they are perfect A Levels to do if that is what you want to go into - you're covering the human, environmental and scientific routes that are taught in ecology/zoology

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Do biology, geography, and sociology complement each other at A level? What career paths do these subjects open?

Hi @H4ttie03,

I hope you are well during these unprecedented times,

I think the A Level’s you have selected are a great combination.

I studied similar A Levels to yourself, Biology, Geography (and Business.) In regards to A Level Geography (AQA). In my opinion, I thoroughly enjoyed studying Geography and was lucky to have a great teacher who was very enthusiastic and passionate about the subject. I loved it so much- I wanted to study it a degree level.

Here is some advice I would like to share with you on how I revised for my Geography A Level exams. There were two key techniques which helped me throughout my studies. Whenever we went through a new topic, I spent 10/15 minutes looking up relevant news articles from the past 2 years. The exams questions are likely to have been written between that time, and it helps to create context of geographical issues during that period.

My second technique was creating “synoptic links” between other topics. Depending on the exam board in your longer answer questions, you may be asked to write about how one problem impacts another. For example, how the carbon cycle impacts the water cycle, how natural hazards impact the urban environment.

To give you a specific example for Biology, you could pursue a degree like Biological Sciences. It could lead to a career in medical science such as research, the NHS, molecular sciences, medical genetics, pharmaceuticals, developing scientific patents, medical sales or marketing, medical writing and teaching.

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/biological-sciences-bsc-hons

Or to give you another example for Geography you could pursue a degree like Human or Physical Geography. It could lead to a career in research, teaching, environmental management, planning, finance banking, travel/tourism and nature conservation.

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/geography-bsc-hons

I haven’t personally looked into a sociology degree, however, there is a member of our course who studies a joint honours Sociology and Geography. Which could lead to working for the NHS, Councils, Charities, Prison Services, Insurance.

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2021-22/full-time/undergraduate/sociology-bsc-hons?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=uoh-paidsearch-undergraduate-humanhealth-socialsci-2020-s04&gclid=CjwKCAiA2O39BRBjEiwApB2IkvbmZHbrMYhO5N5ixktHvWaM6fpjHjZW7obQhlnVsBi_hqRYxWfUZxoC3BMQAvD_BwE

Alongside, A Level Biology and A Level Geography I also studied A Level Business Studies. From my experience, there was some link between A Level Geography and A Level Business Studies with topics like Globalisation and Corporate Social Awareness. This will depend on which exam board and modules your 6th Form/College decides to study. The combination of these three A Levels has prepared me when in the first year of my degree studying Geography (BSc Hons).

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
Reply 6

Biographical social ecologist

Quick Reply

Latest