The Student Room Group

Microbiology

Okay so I finally decided what I want to do for university microbiology so my question is is it a good course and also is there a lot of jobs careers in that sector and also how the day to day university life is since I am doing triple btec applied I can get into it but wondering if it’ll be too much since it’s a lot of information.My last question is does anyone normally drop out ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ayub3
Okay so I finally decided what I want to do for university microbiology so my question is is it a good course and also is there a lot of jobs careers in that sector and also how the day to day university life is since I am doing triple btec applied I can get into it but wondering if it’ll be too much since it’s a lot of information.My last question is does anyone normally drop out ?

not many people drop out. it's a fascinating degree and highly recommend it academically... but if jobs are your concern, i do not recommend it unless you are sure you will want to pursue a PhD OR have will have a lot of work experience (lots of summer/weekend jobs etc.) on your CV by the time you graduate
Reply 2
Hmm interesting I mean I am currently in year 13 and I. Have had 4 previous Jobs and a current one and do you mean by doing summer internships ?? And do you do microbiology
Original post by Ayub3
Hmm interesting I mean I am currently in year 13 and I. Have had 4 previous Jobs and a current one and do you mean by doing summer internships ?? And do you do microbiology

that's great - my degree was called Biochemistry but in fact emcompassed most areas of biology, including microbiology. the long and the short is that you can be successful with any degree in the world including Film Studies - but the less 'useful' your degree is the stronger your CV needs to be to make up for it, and Biology degrees are only useful with PhDs, if i'm being blunt
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
that's great - my degree was called Biochemistry but in fact emcompassed most areas of biology, including microbiology. the long and the short is that you can be successful with any degree in the world including Film Studies - but the less 'useful' your degree is the stronger your CV needs to be to make up for it, and Biology degrees are only useful with PhDs, if i'm being blunt

Yeah I understand phd is something I am also considering I’m doing may I ask what uni you go to ? And if it’s a good uni
Original post by Ayub3
Yeah I understand phd is something I am also considering I’m doing may I ask what uni you go to ? And if it’s a good uni

I graduated from St Andrews a couple of years back... i really recommend the Scottish 4-year system if you're not 100% sure what to study because you get to study 3 subjects in your first year, and the course starts off very broad :smile:
Reply 6
Cool so what do you do now career wise
Original post by Ayub3
Cool so what do you do now career wise

i try not to give any specifics but i work for a pharma company :smile:
Reply 8
Nice anyway thank you so much for all your advice you’ve been much help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending